Verizon cost for calls

kr9457

Is there an additional charge for calls made and received on a Verizon phone in Alaska? I had heard it would have a roaming charge anyone know for sure?

We were charged roaming ($2.10 for 3 minutes). We made phone calls from Anchorage and Juneau. It's my understanding if you have a Nationwide Plan calls do not have a roaming charge.

:)

Is there an additional charge for calls made and received on a Verizon phone in Alaska? I had heard it would have a roaming charge anyone know for sure?

TWO scenarios

1. Use your phone ON THE SHIP in Alaska-$2.49 per minute, $.50 outbound text, $.05 inbound text.

You don't even want to use your smart phone and Verizon ON THE SHIP if you are using data-Internet downloads, pictures, etc.. About $20 for 4-5 normal sized digital pictures using date. Could run up a VERY large bill.

2. BUT if you are on land and have the Verizon unlimited USA plan, you can use your phone to your hearts content in Alaska. NO roaming charges, just like if you are calling from any state to another state.

I have a Verizon aircard for my laptop. I spend quite a bit of time in Alaska yearly for business. NO extra charges if I am on land.

We also have over 70 Verizon cell phones on a company plan. I have at least 12 employees stationed in Alaska during the summer fish shipping season. As long as they are in a NON ROAMING area in Alaska, their calls are free to wives, girlfriends and families in the lower 48.

Greatam,

I need some clarification on one of your points. You say "1. Use your phone ON THE SHIP in Alaska-$2.49 per minute, $.50 outbound text, $.05 inbound text.".

I assume you mean there are these charges if you are not in port. When in port I would assume that if you made a call from your cell phone it would be treated the same as a call made on shore.

Thanks for the reply.

We were at the Verizon store just tonight and asked about this. Bottom line is that in Alaska there should not be any changes to your data plan (if you have a smartphone). However, on the cruise itself, in international waters , this can vary from phone type to phone type. My smartphone is a Droid X (anxiously awaiting my upgrade date:() and DH's is an IPhone. Again is depends on the model phone. He would have extra charges per minute (i think it was an extra .25 per minute and an extra 25 cents for each text incoming and outgoing) but i was told to shut the Droid off completely, or my charges will be exorbitant. We planned to do this anyway, but you are better off by asking your dealer what you should expect.

Be sure to check your bill when you get back as well and if there are charges that shouldnt be while in port, call and they will remove them. My verizon guy also stated to make sure the data roaming on your smartphone is off.

ccm14: The important thing is to watch the top line of your phone for who is providing the signal. The ships are supposed to turn off their towers when in port and turn them back on when at sea. Some times they forget. Usually when in port you will be fine, on or off the ship - but check to make sure. Usually at sea you will pay the ship - but if they don't turn the tower on right away you can often get service for quite some time after shoving off. Last summer our Verizon iPhone had $0 charges for 12 days in Alaska, including calls, e-mails and Web activity to support my business. Also, when in Canada you will be paying somebody for roaming.

Archived