Balcony or Junior Suite

Hmm....is this something new re the gratuities? When we stayed in the js, the gratuities were higher, but it's been a few years.

No, it's not new. Gratuities for JS have always been the same as inside, oceanview, and balcony staterooms.

been in jrs. and gs several times but only when the price is the same as our bal. or very close-went to a jr. on 13 day from bal. for same price $999 ! and once on 10 day turkey cruise into a gs for same price as bal....sometimes you luck out-I would not pay more than a few $$$ more but that's just me; sounds like you are really curious so if the $ is there go for it!

Speaking from experience, we could never go back to a balcony. We are in the room and on the balcony a lot of the time. We love the extra room. As far as perks, priority

boarding, double points plus C&A perks, depending on your level.

Cruzin Lady

you guys in the states obviously have different rules to us in the UK. Priority boarding is only offered here GS + above :(

you guys in the states obviously have different rules to us in the UK. Priority boarding is only offered here GS + above :(

We were in a JS out of Barcelona last year and got routed to the priority queue.

We prefer a JS but can sail quite happily in a balcony. I don't think that a 7 footer would be comofrtable in the JS shower/tub because you step up into the tub, which means he'll be bending over even more that he probably already does. I find that the shower is just fine in a balcony cabin. We booked an E-2 on Liberty, Freedom's sister, and it was a little small for my liking. I think that a D would have been just fine.

So I agree with the poster who said to go for it if the exta money isn't a stretch.

We prefer a JS but can sail quite happily in a balcony. I don't think that a 7 footer would be comofrtable in the JS shower/tub because you step up into the tub, which means he'll be bending over even more that he probably already does. I find that the shower is just fine in a balcony cabin. We booked an E-2 on Liberty, Freedom's sister, and it was a little small for my liking. I think that a D would have been just fine.

So I agree with the poster who said to go for it if the exta money isn't a stretch.

Thanks for the info... my poor hubby isn't really comfortable in most regular house showers...but he does ok in the balcony showers. I was thinking more about the room in general... so we aren't in each other's way.

Ok--- one more question to everyone.

Also... just found out that my parents booked am aft JS for the same cruise it is only about $500 more total for the trip. Are the aft JS's more $ than say a JS on the side of the ship? are the deck prices different? Sorry for the questions.. my TA is away and I won't be able to chat with her until next week... I am a little impatient.. actually.. I think I am just excited for another cruise!

:)

...Also... just found out that my parents booked am aft JS for the same cruise it is only about $500 more total for the trip. Are the aft JS's more $ than say a JS on the side of the ship? are the deck prices different? Sorry for the questions.. my TA is away and I won't be able to chat with her until next week... I am a little impatient.. actually.. I think I am just excited for another cruise!

:)

All the JS's on the ship are priced identically. Most likely the price has gone up, or your parents cannot take advantage of some special rate, such as residency.

I don't think the country makes any difference to priority boarding for JS. The priority is for the cabin, regardless of country.

I'm a newbie cruiser and only going by what the brochure says in the UK. Hopefully it is incorrect then ;)

Gary

Have you considered going for a "suite guarantee" option. It is much cheaper here (uk) and you get a JS minimum. Only downside is you cannot select cabin but if you dont care about that, it might be a better price.

We're cruising on the Oasis in October and booked a JS gtd. All of them are mid ship so if we don't get an upgrade, we'll be happy with whatever we're assigned. I do have a couple of questions however. Do JS qualify for suite embarkation or priority embarkation? What type of toiletries do they have in the bathroom? Is there a coffeemaker in the suite? Is the gratuity higher for the cabin steward? One other thing, if you have been on the Oasis, is it worth it to try and take bottled water and/or Cokes on board. I know RCCL's policy is no drinks can be taken on the ship, but I'm curious as to how flexible they are about this rule.:confused:

We're cruising on the Oasis in October and booked a JS gtd. All of them are mid ship so if we don't get an upgrade, we'll be happy with whatever we're assigned. I do have a couple of questions however. Do JS qualify for suite embarkation or priority embarkation? Yes. What type of toiletries do they have in the bathroom? Shampoo, conditioner, body wash, lotion, bars of soap, unknown concoction in shower dispenser. Is there a coffeemaker in the suite? Yes. Is the gratuity higher for the cabin steward? No. One other thing, if you have been on the Oasis, is it worth it to try and take bottled water and/or Cokes on board. I know RCCL's policy is no drinks can be taken on the ship, but I'm curious as to how flexible they are about this rule.:confused:

See answers in RED above. Regarding taking cokes and water, it's against the rules, but it seems that particular rule is rarely enforced.

I have to agree...the longer the voyage the better chance I'll book a bigger cabin.

On another line, I've switched back and forth. But if it's on my bucket list and I'm doing a land tour before, my tendency is to splurge for the tub, less lines, and better service.

For DH and I the extra expense of the JS is totally worth it. We love the extra leg room and space for our stuff... The tub/shower is a super plus for me.. We don't spend much on drinks so we feel like that is our splurge...and yes I do agree that we always seem to get superior service but I thought it was just our smiles...

Have you considered going for a "suite guarantee" option. It is much cheaper here (uk) and you get a JS minimum. Only downside is you cannot select cabin but if you dont care about that, it might be a better price.

Was unaware there was a 'suite guarantee' option but we have already booked anyway. We are midship starboard on AoS and happy with the location as my walking is impaired using a walking stick. I seems a good base of operations for me ;)

[quote name='garyb(uk)']Was unaware there was a 'suite guarantee' option but we have already booked anyway. We are midship starboard on AoS and happy with the location as my walking is impaired using a walking stick. I seems a good base of operations for me ;)[/quote]
Unfortunately, the suite guarantee (and various other guarantees) are not offered on every cruise. Depends on how the cruise is selling.

Archived