Balcony or Junior Suite

Hello Everyone -- I am hoping to get a few opinions on what my hubby and I should do. We are going on the Freedom in Feb 2013 and have a balcony.. like we always do. I love my outside space and the sound of the ocean.:) We are also going on the Explorer in April of 2013( I know... 2 cruises in less than 3 months from each other tough..:D:p) . Since the April one is shorter trip we are considering trying a Junior Suite. the Price is about $600-$700 more than our normal balcony. Is it worth it? any perks? My DH is a big guy (7 feet tall) so the extra space would be nice.. but we have no issues in a balcony. Just don't know if the extra money would be worth it rather than keep it for the onboard purchases and my drinks by the pool:). Also, if I try it, do you think I could go back to a regular balcony? I know once we went from Outside to balcony.. we haven't been back.;) Thanks for any thoughts you can give!

Yes...I think it's worth the $$! You don't get any real "monetary" perks (like drinks in the CL, but then, you aren't paying those "suite" prices!), but the space is more like a hotel room. You don't feel all "on top" of each other! There's a lovely sitting area, and the balcony is wider, since the room is wider than a standard cabin. And the walk-in closet is great....shelves and plenty of hanging space....your luggage doesn't have to go under the bed...

We love JS's....and don't even price other cabins anymore!

Speaking from experience, we could never go back to a balcony. We are in the room and on the balcony a lot of the time. We love the extra room. As far as perks, priority

boarding, double points plus C&A perks, depending on your level.

Cruzin Lady

DH and I have not gone back to a regular balcony since we went JS about 5 cruises ago. We are going to try to "squeeze" into a boardwalk balcony next month on Oasis because we are taking 17 yo dd and 10 yo dgd and it was cheaper to get 2 balcony rooms than but 4 in a JS. So I guess we will just have to suffer through it :eek:;):p

Hello Everyone -- I am hoping to get a few opinions on what my hubby and I should do. We are going on the Freedom in Feb 2013 and have a balcony.. like we always do. I love my outside space and the sound of the ocean.:) We are also going on the Explorer in April of 2013( I know... 2 cruises in less than 3 months from each other tough..:D:p) . Since the April one is shorter trip we are considering trying a Junior Suite. the Price is about $600-$700 more than our normal balcony. Is it worth it? any perks? My DH is a big guy (7 feet tall) so the extra space would be nice.. but we have no issues in a balcony. Just don't know if the extra money would be worth it rather than keep it for the onboard purchases and my drinks by the pool:). Also, if I try it, do you think I could go back to a regular balcony? I know once we went from Outside to balcony.. we haven't been back.;) Thanks for any thoughts you can give!

We always booked a D balcony and because the price was good, we were in a JS on our last cruise. I was so excited and it was fab...we loved it.

BUT - we wouldnt pay loads extra to book one, we would rather cruse more often !

The walk in wardrobe was brilliant and it was nice to have the extra room. The double cruise points are important to.

We have 2 x Transatlantics coming up and as we are slightly worried about bad weather keeping people inside, and so the public areas seeming crowded, so wanted room to comfortably chill out in our JS.

My advice ? If you can afford it - do it....but if its a squeeze - dont !

hope that helps :)

Jean

We've done both. The extra room is definitely nice, but we've gone back to a regular balcony with no problems. I don't think it's worth that much more money.

You've got a big guy with you so I'd think you would really appreciate any extra space. If money is no object go for the JS.

JS aft on the Freedom last Sept, but only because it was a heck of a deal and our 28 yr old Daughter went along. Yes, more space was nice, but had the same level of service as a reg balcony. Really liked useing the line for the suites when boarding, the other was reallllll long. If you are not in a pinch for the extra space, save the $$ for on board fun.

Next RCCL will prob move back to the hump, reg balcony.

That said, just booked an aft mini-suite on the Ruby Princess for Nov, (same layout as a JS) again a heck of a deal.

I really like the JS size. GS are usually so expensive; I think a JS is usually good value if you want space. I am in a D coming up on Allure and I think it is going to feel claustrophobic (but the JS was just too much $ for me to spend).

We usually book a JS but have done the Balcony a few times also. As stated, the extra room is nice...the double points are a great value if the price diff is not that much. Having the tub instead of the shower is great. Plenty of room to move around. We also like the location of the JS's on most ships. On sea days it is an easy walk to get to the pool area or Windjammer. Every night, it is an eay walk down to the dining rooms, lounges...We even appreciate the exercise of walking up the steps at night to work off some of the calories we consumed that day. We have been lucky to get paid upgrades to GJ and OS. Loads of space, concierge lounge...but not worth it to us to spend those extra dollars for those perks unless it is a deal!

Is it worth it! As noted...it depends on the price diff. and how you prefer to spend those vacation dollars. Can you go back to a balcony...absolutely. Yes, you will remember the space of a JS, but a balcony on a cruise ship is better than being at home!

We did a JS for our nine nighter on Enchantment. For our shorter cruises, we booked aft balconies.

My opinion is that a balcony is "ok" for the shorter cruises but try to get an aft (fish tail) because the balconies themselves are HUGE.

The room itself is ok; a bit cramped, I thought. And the bathroom is definitely tiny compared to the JS.

I noticed the service is "less" in a balcony compared to a JS. Not awful, just not as personal and friendly.

And, yes, you get double points for JS, plus the tub, plus the walk in closes, plus nice toiletries.

We're on a JS for our next cruise and then are trying a GS for the one after that.

I think we'll probably always do JS or higher for a 7 nighter +. For a 4 or 5 nighter, we may consider going down to a balcony IF we could get an aft fish tail. Otherwise, no.

One more question....are the gratuities guidelines more for a JS? I would assume yes but not 100% positive.

The gratuities don't change until you hit the GS level and then only for the stateroom attendant. We just did a 12 night on Mariner and started in a D and changed to a JS when the pricing got close. To us it is not worth $700-$1000 for the difference. Double points are an incentive when you are climbing the C&A ladder but the room size is approximately 50% bigger on a JS on Voyager class. THe tub vs the shower stall is nice too.

One more question....are the gratuities guidelines more for a JS? I would assume yes but not 100% positive.

No, gratuities for a JS are the same as a inside, outside, and balcony.

Yes...I think it's worth the $$! You don't get any real "monetary" perks (like drinks in the CL, but then, you aren't paying those "suite" prices!), but the space is more like a hotel room. You don't feel all "on top" of each other! There's a lovely sitting area, and the balcony is wider, since the room is wider than a standard cabin. And the walk-in closet is great....shelves and plenty of hanging space....your luggage doesn't have to go under the bed...

We love JS's....and don't even price other cabins anymore!

DITTO:D

No, you pay the regular gratuities for JS. Suite gratuities for GS and higher.

We have done a jr suite on voyager and freedom. Loved them both! We just returned from 12 days on the SErenade of the Seas and had an E1 balcony. The jr. Suite was over $3,000 more and we just couldn't spend that kind of money. We were fine in the balcony. We definitely missed the extra bathroom and closet space. If the price is doable, give it a try. Gratuities are higher in the jr suite, which I don't really understand since you don't receive the suite perks.

The gratuities don't change until you hit the GS level and then only for the stateroom attendant. We just did a 12 night on Mariner and started in a D and changed to a JS when the pricing got close. To us it is not worth $700-$1000 for the difference. Double points are an incentive when you are climbing the C&A ladder but the room size is approximately 50% bigger on a JS on Voyager class. THe tub vs the shower stall is nice too.

Hmm....is this something new re the gratuities? When we stayed in the js, the gratuities were higher, but it's been a few years.

Archived