Vancouver Questions

Kreader

Hi, Acouple of questions about Vancouver. Does anyone know if the Canada line from airport to stations in downtown Vancouver take credit cards? Does anyone know how far it is from the pier to the Waterfront station(is it walkable?)? Also where would be the best place to exchange American money for Canadian money in the airport.? (Idon't have an ATM card). Any suggestions on inexpensive places to eat dinner in Vancouver? Do any places in Vancouver take American money? Also has anyone taken the aero. shuttle to or from the airport,and how was it? Thanks for any info.! Kendra

Hi, Acouple of questions about Vancouver. Does anyone know if the Canada line from airport to stations in downtown Vancouver take credit cards? Does anyone know how far it is from the pier to the Waterfront station(is it walkable?)? Also where would be the best place to exchange American money for Canadian money in the airport.? (Idon't have an ATM card). Any suggestions on inexpensive places to eat dinner in Vancouver? Do any places in Vancouver take American money? Also has anyone taken the aero. shuttle to or from the airport,and how was it? Thanks for any info.! Kendra

I can answer part of your question: Yes they take American dollars as long as you realize that it is not an even exchange. I used my credit cards for transactions in stores and restaurants, so really there was no need for exchange of currency. I did obtain Canadian coins for the vending machine at the hotel.

• Yes, the Canada Line TVM's take most US credit cars
  • Waterfront Station to Canada Place is about 3 blocks, it is level to slightly downhill.
  • There are currency exchange kiosks at the airport but if you are in the city just for the day almost all retailers, restaurants and service providers as a courtesy accept US currency, however you will likely receive your change in Canadian funds.
  • With a population of some 2.5m people Vancouver has many restaurants. I could likely provide you with some suggestions if you could tell us where you are staying.
  • The Aero shuttle is a milk run and if there are 2 or 3 of you, at $14 pp you would be as well off in a cab for about $35 or indeed the Canada Line for $8.75 pp.

Hi Kendra,

I can answer some of your questions. Yes, you can use your credit card to pay for the Canada Line (skytrain). You can use American dollars almost everywhere in Vancouver. Since you are probably going to be in Vancouver for a short time, you could probably get away with using your credit card for most transactions, and US dollars for anything you need to pay for in cash. If your ship is docked at Canada Place, you can walk.

Have a great stay.

Thanks to lolo11 ,c cruise dude,and putterdude for some answers. Since I am only going to be in Vancouver one afternoon,evening,and the next morning,I think I will try just using my credit cards and US cash to get by. Putterdude,I will be stay at the Kingston Hotel,on Richards near Georgia St. However I will probably be coming from the Lookout or the seabus in the afternoon. I hope to get a day pass for the first day,to get to near my hotel,and a round trip on the seabus. Any suggestions for an inexpensive dinner would be welcome. Thought about eating at the food court at the Pacific Mall but don't know if they would take credit cards or US cash. Aero. shuttle is a milk run-does that mean it will take a long time to get from the pier to the airport using this? Time wise,and cost wise,better to take the skytrain from Waterfront station to the airport.? I will be going on Westjet- do you know how far it is from customs to the skytrain at the terminal? Thanks again, and for future answers. Kendra

. I hope to get a day pass for the first day,to get to near my hotel,and a round trip on the seabus. Any suggestions for an inexpensive dinner would be welcome. Thought about eating at the food court at the Pacific Mall but don't know if they would take credit cards or US cash.
My wife and I eat at food courts a lot when we're traveling. It's an inexpensive, fast way to get a variety of food items. That said, I really wouldn't suggest the food court at Pacific Centre Mall. It's your typical mall food court. Good, but nothing that say's "Oh boy, I'm in Vancouver!" Since you also mentioned getting a Translink day pass and taking the SeaBus, I think you'd much prefer eating at the food court at Lonsdale Quay Market, which is right at the North Vancouver terminal of SeaBus. It has a much more interesting collection of fast food restaurants then Pacific Centre Mall. If it's a nice day, you can eat outside and have a nice view across Burrard Inset to Vancouver.

Thanks to lolo11 ,c cruise dude,and putterdude for some answers. Since I am only going to be in Vancouver one afternoon,evening,and the next morning,I think I will try just using my credit cards and US cash to get by. Putterdude,I will be stay at the Kingston Hotel,on Richards near Georgia St. However I will probably be coming from the Lookout or the seabus in the afternoon. I hope to get a day pass for the first day,to get to near my hotel,and a round trip on the seabus. Any suggestions for an inexpensive dinner would be welcome. Thought about eating at the food court at the Pacific Mall but don't know if they would take credit cards or US cash. Aero. shuttle is a milk run-does that mean it will take a long time to get from the pier to the airport using this? Time wise,and cost wise,better to take the skytrain from Waterfront station to the airport.? I will be going on Westjet- do you know how far it is from customs to the skytrain at the terminal? Thanks again, and for future answers. Kendra

You won't have any problem with catching the Canada Line from the domestic terminal....follow the signs it about 1,500 feet or so. In addition to the food court in Pacific Centre there is one in Harbour Centre, where the Lookout is, as well. The one in Waterfront Centre is office driven and tends to close up about 6 pm. A rather inexpensive place to eat in the Spaghetti Factory in Gastown. I would suggest that you look at the Aeroshuttle sked....it is about an hour into town plus it only departs YVR hourly.

http://aeroshuttleyvr.ca/yvr-shuttle-schedule

Any suggestions for an inexpensive dinner would be welcome. Thought about eating at the food court at the Pacific Mall but don't know if they would take credit cards or US cash.

I would like to suggest eating at Japadog for a unique Vancouver dining experience.

http://www.japadog.com/

Our foodtrucks have been featured on "Eat St." as well.

http://www.yelp.ca/search?find_desc=food+trucks&find_loc=Vancouver%2C+BC

I would like to suggest eating at Japadog for a unique Vancouver dining experience.

http://www.japadog.com/

Our foodtrucks have been featured on "Eat St." as well.

http://www.yelp.ca/search?find_desc=food+trucks&find_loc=Vancouver%2C+BC

Food trucks are a HUGE business in Vancouver at the moment. You can find them all over downtown. Along Burrard Street between Pender Street and Georgia, you can normally find 4 or 5 different trucks. There are a few around Canada Place as well and up by the Art Gallery.

I think u will find that merchants are very US dollar friendly. We are snug up against the US border so it's very reciprocal and neighborly. The Skytrain from the airport to downtown and Canada Place is very convenient and safe. The Seabus terminal is at the Waterfront station and the Lonsdale Quay is a great idea for dinner if it's a nice day and u feel like a short but beautiful Seabus ride. We never park at the airport - always take,the Skytrain from home to the airport and Canada Place Pier to board the cruise shop. Again, very convenient. I'm not familiar with the hotel u booked but I guarantee u will enjoy Vancouver. I still love it and was born and raised here. Welcome!

If you're staying at the Kingston, get off the skytrain [canada line] at the Vancouver-City Centre stop, not waterfront, it will save you a few blocks of walk.

Get your daypass for the train at the 7-11 or Pharmasave in the airport terminal (lowest level near domestic arrivals), they're not available on the platform (only single tickets are at YVR)

Forget the aeroshuttle to the airport, Skytrain is way faster, more frequent, and cheaper. Exit Canada Place, turn left and walk until you get to Cordova street, turn left, and walk 2 blocks on Cordova. Waterfront station is the badly marked big brick building. There will be tons of people going in and out. Follow signs for "CANADA LINE"

From Customs at YVR you exit the building, cross the street and up an elevator or escalator. HOWEVER, you really want to not do that, and head over to domestic arrivals to buy your day ticket instead (see above). From domestic, head back to the top level and there's a skybridge into the station.

Suggestions for dinner near the Kingston.. The Kingston itself right off the bat is not a bad choice, plus there are a ton of things on Robson between Beatty and Granville. Stroll and pick what you like. There's a newish Mexican place, a BBQ place (Memphis Blues -- very good), a nice Indian place I go to a lot (India Gate), plus lots of sandwich, noodle and other options.

if you have any other questions, let me know, I work downtown, ride skytrain every day, and travel frequently through YVR.

Inexpensive dinner near the Kingston:

La Taqueria - deeeeelicious and varied tacos, quesadillas etc.

JJs (Vancouver Community College student restaurant - $24 full dinner!)

Pretty much any noodle place along Robson, though my fave near you is Ramen Jinya

The Kingston has it's own bar/restaurant, though I find it a bit meh compared to others in the area. Jimmy's Taphouse has a similar range of beers but a much-discounted daily special; Malone's had a major overhaul and is now selling a boatload of craft beers and consistently good food; and the Railway Club has very basic but good value food offerings, well-priced beers and tons of live music for very low entry prices.

If you can find a Tim Hortons our local coffee/donut shop, they sell very good soups and chili that come with a bun. Also a few choices of sandwiches that are in buns or bagels. My father and I had soup w/bun, coffee, and donut each and it came to just under $9 for 2. If you're having a sandwich combo and like latte or iced cappuccino it should still come under $15 for 2. As the suggestion above The Old Spaghetti Factory on Water Street in Gastown is a good inexpensive choice. Dinners are between $10 and $15 per person and that includes sourdough bread (they'll bring you more if you want no extra charge) starter of salad or soup, your pasta entree, and spumoni ice cream for dessert, plus either tea or coffee for the price tag that's on the pasta dish. I'm always stuffed after eating there and I don't ask for extra bread! If you want something else to drink or a different type of dessert then that'll be extra.

Archived