The Love Boat

Kokomo_Man

I was doing a little research for my book today to find a bit of info on the "Love Boat"... the TV series that is credited with increasing the popularity of cruising in the United States. While searching I found out that the "Love Boat" (the original Pacific Princess) was sold for scrap back in March... a sad day. But wait! The company that bought her defaulted on payment and she is for sale again.

Would you cruise on the original "Love Boat" if she was brought back to being cruise ready.

Here a link to a story about her.

http://travel.usatoday.com/cruises/p...Top+Stories%29

This is the link mentioned in the story for pictures of the "Love Boat" today.

http://mediagallery.usatoday.com/Cru...c/G1773,A12714

Bob

Memories of Naked Fanny

Wow, thanks for the links! I think this ship needs a refurbishment, but perhaps that is why it was sold for scrap? It may have been cheaper to scrap it than refurbish it?

I have to admit that 2 ships out of the first 5 cruises I've been on are gone and I'll never be able to sail them again... it's kinda sad.

Would you cruise on the original "Love Boat" if she was brought back to being cruise ready.

No, because the twin beds in the cabins could not be put together.

Very odd for a ship called "The Love Boat."

Hi,

If the Pacific Princess were refurbished, I would certainly be interested in cruising on this ship again. In 2002, I cruised on the Pacific Princess to Bermuda during its final season with Princess. I had a wonderful time on this ship and did not miss its lack of balcony cabins, glass elevators, etc. This is a classic ship with a great deal of style and personality.

Chuck

My first cruise was on the Pacific Princess to Alaska. Yes, I would sail on her again, if she was refurbed. You don't realize how big cruise ships have gotten over the years to you see a picture of her.

I was on the CB last year and while it was very nice, I think I would prefer a smaller ship. I'm looking at perhaps sailing the current Pacific Princess next yr to the Black Sea.

YES! YES! YES! Sailed on her twice and loved every minute, both the ship and Bermuda. This would be perfect again for Bermuda due to the size. And it really has a need. Such wonderful memories of her. Thanks for the articles.

Those pics were sad. It must be hard for people to see how she looks now,when they have sailed on her before. Seeing it all rundown, when it was a place of great memories for so many. I hope she gets another chance to set sail again & create new memories for more people.

Mrs Banjo &I had the pleasure of sailing on her twice. Once in 1992 on the Tahiti Hawaii run and again in 1994 Tokyo to Hong Kong. The Pacific and her sister ship the Island Princess are still two of our favorite ships. We love the smaller ships, sadly, most of the cruise lines are retiring the small ships in favor of the "mega boats". Very sad indeed. When the small ships are gone, Mrs Banjo & I will end our cruising and move on to other vacation choices.

Those pics were sad. It must be hard for people to see how she looks now,when they have sailed on her before. Seeing it all rundown, when it was a place of great memories for so many. I hope she gets another chance to set sail again & create new memories for more people.

After reading your post, I got my courage up to look at the pictures. She's not in as bad shape as I thought she would be.

• 1 year later...

Hello my cruise lovin' friends... I started this thread a bit over a year ago. I guess for me, hope springs eternal. When I first wrote this, I kinda hoped that there would be some kind of ground swell of sentiment to save the Love Boat.

Well... I'm sorry to say that it didn't happen. The Love Boat has been sold for scrap once again. Now it has made it's way to Turkey where it will be dismantled.

Here's the USA Today story.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/cruiselog/2013/08/08/love-boat-cruise-ship/2630821/

Sad for all of us. But perhaps we will all get to sail on her when we get to Kokomo.

Bob

Searching for Kokomo

Archived