alaska shoes?

flbeachmom

What kind of shoes will i need for Cruise and land. I have heard water proof shoes, but does that mean bring me and the kids a pair of those yellow?colorful fashionable like rain boots? or a pair of waterproof hiking boots. Or should we just bring 2 pair of sneakers incase one gets wet? I think i am worried about this more than i need to be.

Also, will ship be to cold to wear the same type of formal sun/ strapless dresses i normally bring on caribbean cruises?

It depends on what you plan to do and whether you'll do it "rain or shine". If you plan on extensive hiking and wouldn't cancel if it rains, then 'yes' you'll need waterproof hiking boots. If you just plan on walking around town or excursions that are mainly in vehicles, then just regular shoes will do. Think about your activities first and just make sure you have something dry to put on when you get back to the ship.

Sundresses? Probably not if you mean for casual daytime, though a strappy formal dress would be fine indoors.

I always bring waterproof shoes (not boots). Sometimes it's my LL Bean hiking shoes (they look like regular athletic shoes, but they are stiffer) and sometimes my Lands End all-weather mocs. On our last cruise I brought the mocs, regular gym shoes, two pairs of dancing shoes, one pair of flats and a pair of slippers. I wore the mocs in every port, but didn't do any heavy-duty hiking. If we'd booked hiking excursions, I would have brought the LL Beans. No boots required.

The ship will likely be pretty warm inside. If you like strapless, go for it, but bring a shawl for warmth just in case.:)

Alaska weather is unpredictable so prepare for all contingencies by using layers. We baked quite a lot of the time. This pic is from Hubbard Glacier and you can see a T-shirt worn out on the balcony. I have waterproof sneakers for general wear and good solid walking boots for glacier and terrain walking.

40704_10150244007750352_5237716_n.jpg

At least one pair of comfortable closed toe shoes (no sandals) - sneakers if you wear them or loafers, etc. for most excursions will do. If you are choosing a more active excursion - you might need hiking or better walking shoes.

Check the weather before leaving. Would you wear a strappy sundress in 50-60 degree weather at home?

As for shoes...what would you normally do if going out a sightseeing in 50-60 degree weather?

The both times we have been there, the weather was nice - about 70-75 degrees when we were in port. We did all sorts of hiking and did not need anything beyond our regular sneakers for footwear.

It IS cold when you are in the midst of the glaciers though. You will want to wear a jacket/sweater over that sundress! ;)

I think it also depends on what excursions you have planned. We took waterproof Columbia boots (I'm not sure they are called boots - they look like sneakers but sturdier and waterproof) and were very happy we did. Our regular shoes would have gotten very wet.

We each have two pairs of Clarks waterproof shoes - they look like brown sneakers, but they slip on rather than lace up. Very, very cushy and comfortable! We also wear sneakers when in Alaska - regular leather Nikes that we spray with waterproofing spray you can find in any sporting goods shop, Walmart, or even regular shoe stores. Spray twice prior to leaving and you are good to go. Cost is approximately $15.00 for a large can. With several of you going, that may be more cost effective than purchasing waterproof shoes for all of you.

Enjoy the Great Land! Have been there 4 times and am planning our fifth visit for next June - DIY land only trip this time. Alaska is drop dead gorgeous and worms its way into your heart and soul. In fact, I'm pretty sure I left a piece of my heart there, which is why I continue to go back to search for it;)!

The both times we have been there, the weather was nice - about 70-75 degrees when we were in port. We did all sorts of hiking and did not need anything beyond our regular sneakers for footwear.

It IS cold when you are in the midst of the glaciers though. You will want to wear a jacket/sweater over that sundress! ;)

I was at Tracy Arm Fjord the beginning on June, and I REALLY wished that I had packed my down ski jacket! I had on long silk underwear, jeans, a long sleeved T-shirt, a heavy sweater and insulated jacket, and froze my butt off. This was fine on all my excursions, but not enough at Tracy. On the mile hike leading up to the Mendenhall glacier, I ended up taking my jacket off.

The OP also asked about the temperature inside the ship and formal wear. We have done two Alaska cruises (yes -- Alaskan residents do take Alaska cruises), and I found that the evening attire on formal nights to be somewhat more casual than I normally see. For example, we didn't see the number of tuxes on formal nights that we would expect on other itineraries.

And I frequently find the inside temperatures on ships to be somewhat cool and over air-conditioned. The inside temperature on a ship in Alaska will the same as if that ship was in the Caribbean.

We each have two pairs of Clarks waterproof shoes - they look like brown sneakers, but they slip on rather than lace up. Very, very cushy and comfortable! We also wear sneakers when in Alaska - regular leather Nikes that we spray with waterproofing spray you can find in any sporting goods shop, Walmart, or even regular shoe stores. Spray twice prior to leaving and you are good to go. Cost is approximately $15.00 for a large can. With several of you going, that may be more cost effective than purchasing waterproof shoes for all of you.

Enjoy the Great Land! Have been there 4 times and am planning our fifth visit for next June - DIY land only trip this time. Alaska is drop dead gorgeous and worms its way into your heart and soul. In fact, I'm pretty sure I left a piece of my heart there, which is why I continue to go back to search for it;)!

Wish I could show you around!

GOOGLE Street View has been expanded for Alaska and has some really fantastic stuff about Alaska 1 south of Anchorage. My favorite part of Turnagain Arm is the Bird to Gird Trail. You can see it all on GOOGLE.

Have a ball!

Oh me too, Penny! Would love to spend time with you in Alaska - hearing more stories about your family and life in the Great Land! Someday....

Very much looking forward to the planning, which of course I've already started;), and honing the details as time gets closer! Three days in Denali either w/an RV or a rental car, arent' sure yet. Then heading down to Homer for a week to 9 days staying in a lovely cabin I found. I "gave" DH a flight for Christmas with Alaska West Air out of Nikiski to Dick Proenecke's cabin at Twin Lakes, so we'll do that either on our way down to Homer, while we're in Homer, or on the way back to Anchorage from Homer - depending on whether or not our flight gets cancelled. Hoping to do Kenai Fiords tour one day, horseback riding on the beach in Homer is on my must do list, and DH wants to do a walk in fishing excursion in Homer. We're even considering perhaps take an overnight to Kodiak on the ferry if we can work it out. Lots to consider, so much to do there and so little time!

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you so much for starting this. Being from Texas I don't know what "winter shoes" are or otherwise. I would wear my cowboy boots (that is what I wear all winter) but understand the flat leather soles might not be the best. I was totally over thinking things as well and thought I needed some kind heavy duty, water proof, hiking around something. We are traveling the first week of September.

Thank you all for your comments!

Unless you are doing some serious hiking then a decent leather tennis shoes or low cut hikers are more than adequate. However, I would spray the shoes several times with waterproofing before I left home. With children and puddles .... maybe a of rain boots would be in order.:)

Archived