Acropolis or National Archaeological Museum

zales

If you read my post, it clearly says I was able to book an excursion that did both on my Princess cruise. :confused: I was just saying that it is a shame the OP does NOT have that choice on his/her cruise.

Actually, I did read your post and was only pointing out that our cruse, like yours, has an available tour that does both. Also we are happy about that, like you were on your cruise. I was merely pointing out that not all cruise lines do not have this possibility and some still have that availability. Apparently you misunderstood the intent of my post. I should have made myself more clear.

If you absolutely must choose one, then it would have to be the Acropolis. That is the "iconic" site for Athens.

What else does the ship tour include? Even a half-day tour would surely see at least one other site in Athens?

Also -- re: your roll call: What ship are you on and when are you sailing? Is it possible someone started a thread for a back to back sailing for the cruise before yours? I've seen that happen with roll calls -- the people for the next sailing just tend to post on the RC for the longer cruise....

Highlights:

-Acropolis and Parthenon: Enjoy a guided tour of Greece's largest and most impressive temple

-Panoramic tour past the Temple of Olympian Zeus, Hadrian's Arch, National Gardens, National Library and Parliament Building, and Panathinion Stadium

-Optional drop-off in Constitution Square for shopping (return to ship is at your own expense)

Highlights:

-Panoramic tour: View the highlights from the coach including the Temple of Olympian Zeus, Hadrian's Arch, Panathenaic Stadium

-National Archeological Museum: Tour the outstanding collection of masterpieces gathered from excavations throughout Greece

Highlights:

-Panoramic tour past the Temple of Olympian Zeus, Hadrian's Arch, National Gardens, the National Library and the Parliament Building

-Acropolis Museum: Visit the rich collection of artifacts from Acropolis Hill

-Plaka: Enjoy 1 hour free time for independent exploration or shopping

Navigator 8-19-12

Wow, these are some strange excursions. I can't believe that none of them make stops at more than one place! I would have a hard time choosing too, but I guess it would be the first, since I wouldn't want to miss the Acropolis.

Are these the only tours of Athens? They only sound like half-day tours to me. Panaromic, to me, means see from bus, which isn't that great.

Our independent tour stopped at the Acropolis, the Olympic Stadium, the Changing of the Guards, the Archaeological Museum, another temple which name escapes me, and the Agora area. We drove by other sites. By consensus our group decided not to do the Plaka.

Time was limited in some venues, but it was a great overview. Our driver did not guide us when out of the bus, but did explain things while driving. Price was 40 Euros pp, plus tip and entry fees to the Acropolis and museum and lunch.

Wow, these are some strange excursions. I can't believe that none of them make stops at more than one place! I would have a hard time choosing too, but I guess it would be the first, since I wouldn't want to miss the Acropolis.

Are these the only tours of Athens? They only sound like half-day tours to me. Panaromic, to me, means see from bus, which isn't that great.

Our independent tour stopped at the Acropolis, the Olympic Stadium, the Changing of the Guards, the Archaeological Museum, another temple which name escapes me, and the Agora area. We drove by other sites. By consensus our group decided not to do the Plaka.

Time was limited in some venues, but it was a great overview. Our driver did not guide us when out of the bus, but did explain things while driving. Price was 40 Euros pp, plus tip and entry fees to the Acropolis and museum and lunch.

Lol, yes strange indeed. I guess I got a lot of rethinking to do, since none of these are too great:(

Are you, by chance, only in port for a long half day? That might explain the limited choices offered.

Edited to add: Just went and looked up your cruise and you have a full day in Athens. Also, it does look like there is an excursion offered that at least includes both the Acropolis and the Acropolis museum, unless I am reading it wrong? (I can't log in obviously as taking this cruise, but it appears to be offered on your sailing):

Acropolis Sightseeing, New Acropolis Museum with Plaka Free Time - PR79

The highlights of this excursion are the guided tour of Greece's largest and most impressive site, the Acropolis and a visit to the Acropolis Museum that honors the ancient site and its treasures. You will also have some free time to shop and explore on your own with transportation back to the ship.

Highlights:

- City tour of Athens with all highlights

- Visit of Acropolis site

- Visit of New Acropolis Museum

- Treat of Greek Souvlaki

Are you, by chance, only in port for a long half day? That might explain the limited choices offered.

Edited to add: Just went and looked up your cruise and you have a full day in Athens. Also, it does look like there is an excursion offered that at least includes both the Acropolis and the Acropolis museum, unless I am reading it wrong? (I can't log in obviously as taking this cruise, but it appears to be offered on your sailing):

Acropolis Sightseeing, New Acropolis Museum with Plaka Free Time - PR79

The highlights of this excursion are the guided tour of Greece's largest and most impressive site, the Acropolis and a visit to the Acropolis Museum that honors the ancient site and its treasures. You will also have some free time to shop and explore on your own with transportation back to the ship.

Highlights:

- City tour of Athens with all highlights

- Visit of Acropolis site

- Visit of New Acropolis Museum

- Treat of Greek Souvlaki

Thank You cruisemom42, for the research:D, I will definitely look into that excursion.:cool:

On our first Med cruise when in Athens we took a ships' excursion like the first one you mention - "Morning tour of Acropolis and optional drop-off downtown". We were driven to the Acropolis and spent about 2 hours there then were driven around and dropped off at Constitution Square. Only three couples, from the full bus, got off and had to make their own way back to the ship. We spent around four hours walking around and going to the National Museum. We took the metro (green line?) back to the port. It was very easy to use the metro, signs were in English and the ticket window person spoke enough English to know that we wanted to go to Pireaus.

Julie

Archived