Acropolis or National Archaeological Museum

zales

If you plan your time wisely, you can do both. I did a DIY tour in Athens off a cruise ship. I took a tour of the Acropolis (hired a guide), saw the changing of the guards at Syntagma Square, took the local bus to the National Archaeological Museum and walked through the Plaka area. I got off the ship as soon as I could. Took a taxi to the Acropolis (metro workers were on strike until 12N) then used public transportation. Metro back to the port. Fabulous day.

The National is a huge museum and we generally save that for when we are in Athens with lousy or very hot weather. If one has never seen the Acropolis it is worth the hike. In good weather the view from the top is amazing. Unfortunately, a lot of the ruins are under repair (its been like this for years) so there is a significant amount of scaffolding that take away from ruins. The new Acropolis Museum (located very close to the lower entrance to the Acropolis) is very well done and should be seen along with the actual ruins. The two really go hand in hand.

Hank

OP... are you asking for a comparison of the Acropolis and the Archeological Museum? or a comparison of the Acropolis Museum and the Archeological Museum?

MeHeartCruising, a comparison of the Acropolis and the Archeological Museum.

cruisemom42 and goldiemom I like to do cruise ship tours so with the tours that are offered it is one or the other. I don't want to take a bus or a train, thinking of a cab depending on the distance between the two.

Travelcat2 and Paul929207, thanx for your vote, lol;)

Does anyone know the distance between the Acropolis and the Archeological Museum and then the distance to the ship:confused:

You can use metro-elektrikos... from any electrikos (green line) station (Thisseion or Monastiraki) go to Victoria's station (15-20 minutes).. next, walking to National Museum (5-10 minutes).. when finish your tour in museum go back to Victoria's station and get the train to Piraeus (40-45 minute)

I think it's lousy that a ship's tour would make you choose between the two. On my first Med cruise (with my mom, who insisted on ship excursions at every port :rolleyes:) we were able to book a tour that included both. Otherwise I would've been unhappy indeed.

It is very easy to do it on your own. I've posted do it yourself step-by-step directions that include both Acropolis and the Natl Archaeologica Museum. I can look up that post for you if you're interested. Just to give the bare bones:

Walk from ship to metro line (Green line): about 25-40 minutes depending where ship is docked; can also get bus to metro but I haven't done it personally.

Metro Green line into Athens: About 30 minutes

Once in Athens one can either get off the Metro and walk to Acropolis directly (no transfer on metro but longer walk), or get off the Green Line and transfer to the Red Line to the Acropoli stop and you'll be very close to the path up the hill to the Acropolis.

Another alternative is to get a taxi direct from the port to the base of the Acropolis, should cost about 20-25 euro per cab (2-3 people) but you have to negotiate.

After seeing Acropolis, as Anapli says, go back to the Green line metro stop and continue on to Viktoria station, which is only a few minutes walk to the museum and then hop back on Green line metro straight back to Piraeus.

(Note: The Green Line is part of the Athens metro system but it is properly called the electric train, so you will see it referred to both ways; don't be confused -- there is only 1 Green Line!)

I think it's lousy that a ship's tour would make you choose between the two. On my first Med cruise (with my mom, who insisted on ship excursions at every port :rolleyes:) we were able to book a tour that included both. Otherwise I would've been unhappy indeed.

It is very easy to do it on your own. I've posted do it yourself step-by-step directions that include both Acropolis and the Natl Archaeologica Museum. I can look up that post for you if you're interested. Just to give the bare bones:

Walk from ship to metro line (Green line): about 25-40 minutes depending where ship is docked; can also get bus to metro but I haven't done it personally.

Metro Green line into Athens: About 30 minutes

Once in Athens one can either get off the Metro and walk to Acropolis directly (no transfer on metro but longer walk), or get off the Green Line and transfer to the Red Line to the Acropoli stop and you'll be very close to the path up the hill to the Acropolis.

Another alternative is to get a taxi direct from the port to the base of the Acropolis, should cost about 20-25 euro per cab (2-3 people) but you have to negotiate.

After seeing Acropolis, as Anapli says, go back to the Green line metro stop and continue on to Viktoria station, which is only a few minutes walk to the museum and then hop back on Green line metro straight back to Piraeus.

(Note: The Green Line is part of the Athens metro system but it is properly called the electric train, so you will see it referred to both ways; don't be confused -- there is only 1 Green Line!)

Thanx cruisemom42 yes it is very lousy, but it's their game, so gotta play by their rules:(

Thanx cruisemom42 yes it is very lousy, but it's their game, so gotta play by their rules:(

To some extent, yes you have to play by their rules. But you can also DIY. The Acropolis and the Museum are easy to do that way. And if you use the Metro, you will be doing it for a fraction of the cost.

Ahhh. So therein lies one of the great (oft unspoken) advantages of only taking ships tours. You have a limited number of predefined choices and only have one quick decision (which tour). But alas, for the independent traveler we have an unlimited number of choices which can really boggle the mind. As an aside, we recently completed a cruise that went to 31 ports in 13 countries. Of those 31 ports we did our own thing in 28 (tool private excursions in 2 and 1 ship excursion). Imagine trying to decide what to do and see in 28 places (used rental cars, feet, buses,taxis and trains).

Hank

Imagine trying to decide what to do and see in 28 places (used rental cars, feet, buses,taxis and trains).

Hank

That is one of the things I enjoy most about DIY.....researching and narrowing the choices. :D

Zales: you don't have to play by their rules -- you have other choices. I understand the "convenience" of ship tours, but Athens is very easy to do on your own; easier than Rome (which is also pretty easy but farther from the port) and lots easier than Florence from Livorno. Thousands of tourists do it every year; in fact, you probably will find (if you decide to do it on your own) that all you have to do is follow a group of others from your ship who will be doing the same thing.

Alternatively, several folks have posted recently here about a couple of taxi drivers who charge a bit of a premium over the regular rate but will guarantee to meet you at the port, take you to the Acropolis and then meet you at a later point in the day to take you back to the port. Still cheaper than a ship excursion. What could be easier?

Ahhh. So therein lies one of the great (oft unspoken) advantages of only taking ships tours. You have a limited number of predefined choices and only have one quick decision (which tour). But alas, for the independent traveler we have an unlimited number of choices which can really boggle the mind. As an aside, we recently completed a cruise that went to 31 ports in 13 countries. Of those 31 ports we did our own thing in 28 (tool private excursions in 2 and 1 ship excursion). Imagine trying to decide what to do and see in 28 places (used rental cars, feet, buses,taxis and trains).

Hank

Gee, Hank, I really feel for you having to make all those decisions and it was supposed to be a relaxing vacation.

We did both. We went to Acropolis in the morning when it was not too hot. After that we walked down through the ancient Agora to a metro station and took the Metro to the National Archaeological Museum. We spent several hours in the museum and took Metro back to the port. We had plenty of time to enjoy both places.

Frankly when I visited Athen's both were on my must do. With a whole day, even a half day these would be the two I'd do.

If I really only had less than 1/2 day and could make only one stop it would be the Acropolis.

Just looking for opinions on which would be better to experience. I love museums, but then the Acropolis is also a must see, so...:confused:

Have you thought about joining a private tour that someone on your roll call is putting together? That's what we did and were able to see the Acropolis (I wouldn't miss this), the museum, the Agora and various other sites. Yes, it was a busy day, but we got a good overview of the city and for a very good price.

We almost always prefer private tours over ship's tours, but I do understand why they are preferred by some.

Have you thought about joining a private tour that someone on your roll call is putting together? That's what we did and were able to see the Acropolis (I wouldn't miss this), the museum, the Agora and various other sites. Yes, it was a busy day, but we got a good overview of the city and for a very good price.

We almost always prefer private tours over ship's tours, but I do understand why they are preferred by some.

Thanx, Nebr.cruiser, again I don't want to do anything with a bus or train, so I will take your suggestion and look into a private tour, funny, there is no roll call for my sailing:(

No roll call is pretty unusual--very strange.

Our tour was in what I'd call a small bus or large van; there were 8 of us, I think. You can also find tours by taxi. Private tours are nice because usually you can do what you want.

I don't think the Acropolis and museum are all that far apart, but I wouldn't want, personally, to try to navigate around Athens on my own. It's hard to believe a ship tour wouldn't hit both.

Actually for our Princess Grand Med cruise next month we have booked a ship's tour that includes the Acropolis, the National museum ending at the Plaka, so not all cruises force you to make a choice with their offerings.

Yes, we are also happy with this.

Actually for our Princess Grand Med cruise next month we have booked a ship's tour that includes the Acropolis, the National museum ending at the Plaka, so not all cruises force you to make a choice with their offerings.

Yes, we are also happy with this.

If you read my post, it clearly says I was able to book an excursion that did both on my Princess cruise. :confused: I was just saying that it is a shame the OP does NOT have that choice on his/her cruise.

We just returned 2 weeks ago. We did the Acropolis (a must) and the New Acropolis Museum. The New Acropolis Museum is INCREDIBLE! You are standing on a glass floor OVER an excavation in progress. It's amazing. The building is state-of-the art while you are watching ancient history unveiled. On the outside of the building as we entered and exited, we watched a lone worker, sitting the the excavation, under the recess of the building, brushing the dirt off something that will be displayed by next year at the museum. Truly not to be missed!!! Forgot to mention, that we did this with a private driver. There were 5 of us and it was less expensive than the shp and we had options, flexibility and went at our own pace.

If you absolutely must choose one, then it would have to be the Acropolis. That is the "iconic" site for Athens.

What else does the ship tour include? Even a half-day tour would surely see at least one other site in Athens?

Also -- re: your roll call: What ship are you on and when are you sailing? Is it possible someone started a thread for a back to back sailing for the cruise before yours? I've seen that happen with roll calls -- the people for the next sailing just tend to post on the RC for the longer cruise....

Archived