Oasis 6/23-6/30 sailing... Cuban encounter

Just got of the Oasis... Late yesterday afternoon (6/29) we encountered a raft of 18 Cuban refugee's on their way to Mexico. The captain reiterated the point several times that the refugee's did not want our help other than food and water which was provided to them. The US Coast Guard was contacted and we were told we could leave the area and they would be sending a cutter to investigate.

Thought you guys might like to see some of the pictures I took. I'm sure others will post more soon, we were stopped for a couple of hours.

IMG_1250-1.jpgIMG_1254-1.jpg

">

Great pictures! Any idea as to how far away from land (Cuba or Mexico) you were? I guess they decided to head to Mexico so that don't have to deal with the wet foot, dry foot issue. That craft really did not look very seaworthy... guess desperate people do desperate things. May they stay safe.

Great pictures! Any idea as to how far away from land (Cuba or Mexico) you were? I guess they decided to head to Mexico so that don't have to deal with the wet foot, dry foot issue. That craft really did not look very seaworthy... guess desperate people do desperate things. May they stay safe.

The Mexico claim was false. They were 48 miles south of Key West in the Florida Straits, heading north.

The Mexico claim was false. They were 48 miles south of Key West in the Florida Straits, heading north.

Thanks, I guess in this case they were just trying to buy a little time before the CG got involved either that or those hand me down surplus Soviet compasses just are not reliable! Still wish them well.

Just got of the Oasis... Late yesterday afternoon (6/29) we encountered a raft of 18 Cuban refugee's on their way to Mexico. The captain reiterated the point several times that the refugee's did not want our help other than food and water which was provided to them. ">

thought you couldn't take food off the ship

I'm pretty sure the captain and pretty much every passenger onboard knew they weren't really headed to Mexico. Hopefully they were successful and were able to stay afloat in the raft. It appeared to be filled with foam rather than air since you can see that the raft was ripped pretty bad.

It was interesting to see the engine they had rigged in the middle of the raft as well.

Just got of the Oasis... Late yesterday afternoon (6/29) we encountered a raft of 18 Cuban refugee's on their way to Mexico. The captain reiterated the point several times that the refugee's did not want our help other than food and water which was provided to them. The US Coast Guard was contacted and we were told we could leave the area and they would be sending a cutter to investigate.

Thought you guys might like to see some of the pictures I took. I'm sure others will post more soon, we were stopped for a couple of hours.

[/url]

">

We were on the cruise, took a bunch of pictures, will be posting them in a review that I will be doing, as soon as I get my internet and cable services back. Got home, no services, storms kinda knocked out lots of services between VA to NY and parts in between.

Nice shots.

Wish they were safe. It reminds us how lucky and blessed we are!

Since the ship was delayed, what time did you arrive at Port Everglades on June 30?

Not sure exactly what time we arrived. I woke up around 6 and we were docked, so no delay because of our unscheduled stop.

Archived