MS AMSTERDAM 14 Day Alaska - June 15, 2012 - Endless Daylight!

nobbync

Hi April and Glen! This past week was the slowest ever...tired of cereal already... :eek:

Thank you all for the great comments. I am enjoying reliving this great trip. It was the best trip I had ever taken and I have taken many. Not only did I get to meet some wonderful new friends but also the scenery and wildlife were really just breathtaking. Sorry but no update today as I just got home and I am tired... Will continue tomorrow but will add another scenic shot I like...

i-7fcsShB-L.jpg

Nobby

First of all: HI NOBBY AND GLEN!!!

Even though my photos are absolutely no competition for Nobby's, if anyone is interested in our experience from the same June 15 Amsterdam cruise, I'm busy posting my trip report (in many segments) here:

http://aprilbirding.blogspot.com

It's a bit birdcentric (since that was our goal during the trip). But it also speaks to other things as well.

Looking forward to seeing more and more of Nobby's photos!

--

April

Enjoy reading your blog and seeing your photos too. What an amazing cruise.

Wonder if there is any way to convince HAL to bring this itinerary back for 2014. We would love to take this cruise, and it seems that many others are interested too.

Not likely. Although I have not seen anything official, the 'unofficial' word is the cruise was not making enough money. Face it, if this 14 day itinerary had been a big money maker for HAL, it would still be scheduled. It is just the way it is. :(

Not likely. Although I have not seen anything official, the 'unofficial' word is the cruise was not making enough money. Face it, if this 14 day itinerary had been a big money maker for HAL, it would still be scheduled. It is just the way it is. :(

I heard the same thing from an onboard cruise consultant in January. This was one of my all time favorite cruises.

Looks to me like this 14 day cruise is cheaper the later in the summer that you book!! We paid way more than the price it shows now!!

Nobby, It's great to see the beginning of your pictures. Ron is spending a lot of time going through his. He has already sent some of them out to a lab for printing. I hope to start working on a trip report (much shorter than yours!) and some comments on the port excursions--we had some really great ones.

Carol

Looks to me like this 14 day cruise is cheaper the later in the summer that you book!! We paid way more than the price it shows now!!

Last year there were some GREAT deals after final payment. If you are able to make last minute arrangements, can get decent airfare, and don't care about cabin selection, there were some great deals to be found.

I think Alaska gets a lot of first time or infrequent cruisers who aren't "into" the total cruising thing. I am one of those. I just don't spend a lot of money on cruise ships and because too many people like me were cruising this itinerary, it was just a matter of time before it got discontinued. This year they dropped the first full day of scenic sailing to the east of Vancouver Island. This probably saved them some money on both fuel and not having to pay for the pilot to help them with the transit. The first year this itinerary ran, they initially posted Tracy Arm as the itinerary, but switched it to Glacier. That did not happen the next two years. I imagine the permits are very costly for GB and HAL was trying to cut their costs.

Last year there were some GREAT deals after final payment. If you are able to make last minute arrangements, can get decent airfare, and don't care about cabin selection, there were some great deals to be found.

I think Alaska gets a lot of first time or infrequent cruisers who aren't "into" the total cruising thing. I am one of those. I just don't spend a lot of money on cruise ships and because too many people like me were cruising this itinerary, it was just a matter of time before it got discontinued. This year they dropped the first full day of scenic sailing to the east of Vancouver Island. This probably saved them some money on both fuel and not having to pay for the pilot to help them with the transit. The first year this itinerary ran, they initially posted Tracy Arm as the itinerary, but switched it to Glacier. That did not happen the next two years. I imagine the permits are very costly for GB and HAL was trying to cut their costs.

I have been to GB 3 times, I had wanted to go on the inside of Vancouver Island, but we didn't, HAL told me that any cruise going to Tracey Arm went up the inside passage. I had been on the inside of Vancouver Island once, many years ago, it was not anything like that this last time. I looked up the prices now for base price. and it is $1399.00

it was $2199.00 when we booked!! I am surprised that they are going to drop this cruise next year!!

I am in awe of your pictures and have sent a link to this thread to several of my friends who have been to Alaska. I am anxiously awaiting your continuing the blog!

Carri cruiser....I was on the Oosterdam in May. We went outside of Vancouver Island and went to Tracey Arm.

Nobby, It's great to see the beginning of your pictures. Ron is spending a lot of time going through his. He has already sent some of them out to a lab for printing. I hope to start working on a trip report (much shorter than yours!) and some comments on the port excursions--we had some really great ones.

Carol

Hi Carol and Ron, I miss talking to you two and enjoying the great cruise. Hope Ron got a lot of good shots.

Can you please email me? I washed my jacket that had your email on it... :) I need my everyday laundry again from the ship where they gave me everything back that was in my pockets before they washed it... :)

Nobby

Sorry for taking so long in posting and I appreciate all the great comments. I going to try to finish this in the next couple days before San Diego Comic Con starts on Wednesday. But if I do not finish it I will as soon as Comic Con is over on Sunday but I wil let you know before I vanish for a few days... :D

Next update coming soon...

Nobby

ANCHORAGE

We were up at the break of dawn, about 3 am. I had read a few reviews that it is spectacular coming into Anchorage but to be honest I did not feel it was as spectacular as many of the inside passage areas. To be honest the scenery was almost a letdown as I was expecting more. It was still beautiful but nothing like I expected. We watched the sunrise and on the water were the oil platforms so that took away from some of the scenery.

i-czXCFKB-L.jpg

We went back to bed for a couple hours. This day I was going to meet up with my friend April and Avie who rented a car. They were going bird watching up the Turnagain Arm. Cindy wanted to to go the museum and walk around town. They rented the car from Enterprise and when we got to Egan Center they came to pick us up. In Anchorage you have to take a bus to the Egan Center and then move around from there as you can’t walk on or off the pier. After getting the car we went out to Potter Marsh which is an excellent birding place. If you want to see birds and you are in the Anchorage area this is a great place to go. After Potter March we drove up the arm stopping at many turnoffs. April had the milepost and it was quite accurate. It was a nice and scenic trip and we stopped for some good old fashioned southern barbecue which was really good. It was called The Tunrnagain Arm Pit! The day was quite warm. It was mid 70's in Anchorage and a little warmer on the arm bu just beautiful. Since it was a birding trip, well here are some birds...

Here is an arctic tern as they were nesting all over here.

i-436KcKk-L.jpg

And here is a fox sparrow.

i-3cs5mRT-L.jpg

It was interesting to see the devastation caused by the 1964 earthquake. Entire forests destroyed as sea water raised so high it covered the forests. We drove all the way to the end of the arm and stopped at the Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center and it was interesting to see some of these animals up close. These are all orphaned or injured wildlife and they put them in very large natural habitats.

This bear was so hot he decided to sit in the water and stay there. Smart guy!

i-X2VPwQv-L.jpg

On the way to the end of the arm we walked a small trail that led to a stream and in the dense tress the light was really nice.

i-gJmgHxQ-L.jpg

Here is the very end of Turnagain Arm as a panorama.

i-HgKKgFw-L.jpg

The day was sunny and warm. On the way back I was not feeling great. I thought I might be catching a cold or my health problems were rearing their ugly heads. Turned out to be allergies though as I soon found out. I guess with the nice weather they had everything in the air. The next 3 days I did not feel good and I did not get better till we got into the Gulf of Alaska again.

Next up is Homer.

Nobby

Another bird we found on the drive up Turnagain Arm. This tree swallow thought I was so boring he yawned at me and made me yawn also.. Seriously! I could barely get this shot as I started to yawn at the same time... :D

i-8zQz2DR-L.jpg

Nobby

Sorry for taking so long in posting and I appreciate all the great comments. I going to try to finish this in the next couple days before San Diego Comic Con starts on Wednesday. But if I do not finish it I will as soon as Comic Con is over on Sunday but I wil let you know before I vanish for a few days... :D

Next update coming soon...

Nobby

Thanks Nobby! Enjoy the SD Comic Con and we will (try to) wait patiently :):) Again, your photos are amazing!

Thank you for posting about this itinerary & sharing your incredible photos. This is on itinerary I would love to do, but budgets just won't allow it this year. Count me in among those who would love to see it come back. More time in Alaska, and getting to see the smaller ports would be great.

Thanks for letting us travel vicariously through you.

With the information provided about the itinerary not making money, why are you surprised HAL has discontinued this itinerary?

I guess I worded that wrong, I meant : I am surprised that this 14 day cruise is NOT a money maker for HAL, it seems many people have done the 14 day before, or want to do it soon. It actually was one of my favorites. With the price we paid for this cruise, I am surprised that it's price seem to be quite a bit cheaper now!! I thought July and August would be the more costly!!

I am in awe of your pictures and have sent a link to this thread to several of my friends who have been to Alaska. I am anxiously awaiting your continuing the blog!

Carri cruiser....I was on the Oosterdam in May. We went outside of Vancouver Island and went to Tracey Arm.

We too, went outside of Vancouver... I had called HAL, and they said all the cruises that go to Tracey Arm are inside passage. I think they said that because they are calling the part from Ketchikan to Tracey Arm the inside passage. I guess the one time we went back in the "80s we went on the east side of Vancouver Island, it was really beautiful, I don't know if they ever go on the east side anymore, do you?? That is what I thought the "inside passage" was. I saw that they now call it " Cruising Vancouver Island". the website I booked with called it the inside passage,

thus the reason i called HAL with my question!!

We too, went outside of Vancouver... I had called HAL, and they said all the cruises that go to Tracey Arm are inside passage. I think they said that because they are calling the part from Ketchikan to Tracey Arm the inside passage. I guess the one time we went back in the "80s we went on the east side of Vancouver Island, it was really beautiful, I don't know if they ever go on the east side anymore, do you?? That is what I thought the "inside passage" was. I saw that they now call it " Cruising Vancouver Island". the website I booked with called it the inside passage,

thus the reason i called HAL with my question!!

All the Alaska cruises go through parts of the Inside Passage.

That is why technically they all can accurately claim that they cruise in the Inside Passage.

Yes, Tracy Arm is in the Inside Passage.

However, some cruises travel through far more of the Inside Passage than others, which is what causes the confusion with the use of the term.

Furthermore, even when cruising through the Inside Passage, some of the channels are narrower and more scenic than others, so not all Inside Passage cruises are equal.

If you get lucky on one of the smaller ships heading north, your captain sometimes may take you through some passages where the larger cruise ships can't go.

The term "Inside Passage" encompasses the various channels between the mainland and the islands off the coasts of both Alaska and British Columbia, the entire network of passages through the islands.

Sometimes the term "lower inside passage or "Canadian Inside Passage" is used to differentiate the part of the Inside Passage that lies in Canadian waters, but usually not.

That is the part to which people refer when they discuss the differences between cruises that travel the Inside Passage on the scenic east side of Vancouver Island and those that go "outside" around the west side in open ocean.

To add to the confusion, there are also different locations at which a ship that goes "outside" may enter the Inside Passage, so on some of the outside routes you may get more time cruising out "At Sea" before entering the Inside Passage than on others.

Unless people are aware of what they are missing, they may be satisfied with the common brushoff answer telling them not to worry because their ship will cruise through the Inside Passage.

This is similar to the way that people who are not familiar with Denali Park go up to Denali, take the Natural History Tour, and then return home thinking that they have seen Denali without any awareness of how much they missed.

Archived