Bringing home wine?

Your wine will most likely be taken from you upon boarding with it in port, but will be returned to you either the last night or last morning of the cruise. That is RCI's policy. However, I have read some posts that indicate sometimes in Europe, they let you take it right to your cabin. Luck of the draw.

I buy those cardboard wine tubes (gift boxes) and they work great! They will hold wine or liqour. Just tape the lids on as they can come loose during flight.

I don't know as I'd try the wrapping in shirts thing, my son tried that and the bottle broke somewhere along the line, end results: no rum, broken glass and some messy, stinking clothes!

All of us want to bring home wine from Europe, LOL, for some reason it is better than what we purchace here. As others have said is true, but if you buy at the airport past TSA, they will, from my experience, put it in a sealed bag TSA approved and you can take it on the plane.

NOW, if you have connecting flights after clearing customs in the US, you will for some unknown reason, have to put it in your luggage. Not a big issue, no more weight restrictions, well I have never seen them weight the luggage the second time.

I should add that there are sometimes very good deals at the airports in Europe, I bought the best bottle of Lemonchelo that I have ever had at the airport in Rome, and a super price.

Grab an over-sized Ziplock (I think 2 gallon would work? If not maybe a kitchen sized trash bag and seal it (ha ha could use duct tape) good.) before putting it in your luggage... then if it should break hopefully the mess would be contained (I'd wrap in paper towels or something then in Ziplock then surround with soft items). I haven't done this with wine but have with honey, etc.

We just returned from a 12 day med cruise and brought back 3 bottles of wine and some lemoncello. Before leaving home, we bought 3 wine diapers online. Here is a website that sells them if you are not familiar with it: http://winediaper.com/wine-diaper-products.html. They were great and we didn't have any problems with the bottles breaking. Most of the places we purchased the wine from we're really good about wrapping the bottles up for us in bubble wrap.

Just back from Med cruise and wife bought 6 bottles at one of the ports. We stopped by the liquor store on board the last day and they gave us 2 of their card board boxes which hold 3 bottles each and back them in the suit case and they thru without breaking.

We brought back 2 bottles from France, one from Italy and one from Croatia plus a bottle of Limoncello from Italy. I really hate that we can't carry it on anymore. We packed it in our suitcases. I was able to get some bubble wrap from the winery in France for those bottles. The rest I just used bags and hoped for the best. Luckily, all bottles arrived home safe.

Archived