Seabourn excursions, lectures and a morning in San Juan

Ravenscroft

When will we be able to book excursions for our December Quest cruise? I keep checking on the website but there are no prices there yet. Perhaps we can't book them until the final balance is paid?

On the SB website it does mention an enrichment programme with port lectures etc. However on the recent 'Live from' threads I didn't notice any guest speakers mentioned at all. Is it possible that there won't be any on our cruise?

And finally - for now ;) Bearing in mind that although the Caribbean in December is considered a special destination by us northern European types, I enjoy it mostly for the sunshine and the onboard ship experience rather than the ports, many of which I have visited previously. One place that is new to me is Puerto Rico. We're only in port for approximately 5 hours so is there anything worth seeing in San Juan? I'm expecting that I'll be more than happy to stay on the ship that day, but I don't want to miss anything important.

When will we be able to book excursions for our December Quest cruise? I keep checking on the website but there are no prices there yet. Perhaps we can't book them until the final balance is paid?

On the SB website it does mention an enrichment programme with port lectures etc. However on the recent 'Live from' threads I didn't notice any guest speakers mentioned at all. Is it possible that there won't be any on our cruise?

And finally - for now ;) Bearing in mind that although the Caribbean in December is considered a special destination by us northern European types, I enjoy it mostly for the sunshine and the onboard ship experience rather than the ports, many of which I have visited previously. One place that is new to me is Puerto Rico. We're only in port for approximately 5 hours so is there anything worth seeing in San Juan? I'm expecting that I'll be more than happy to stay on the ship that day, but I don't want to miss anything important.

Old San Juan is historically significant and a nice walk. Easy access from the port. We found nice places to grab a bite or a beer walking to the El Morro fortress at the harbor entrance. Calle Fortaleza has some nice jewelry bargains if that is of interest. Lois still gets Christmas cards from one of them. In all, a nice walkabout for a few hours.:D Google El Morro San Juan for some nice pictures of the park area around the fortress.

My DH and I have spend many an afternoon walking through OSJ. Depending upon when you will be there in December, you may be able to enjoy the Christmas Festival activities. Puerto Rico decorates for the holidays more than many of the other islands in the area. There are many restaurants with wonderful umbrellas for al fresco dining and people watching. The people are very friendly and we always enjoy our visits. After walking to the fort, it is nice to enjoy a beverage while sitting alongside the streets on the hills. Have fun!

The architecture of some of the buildings in Old San Juan is worth a look. Some are very attractive. If you enjoy old forts, there are two in OSJ.

We never leave San Juan without a lunch or dinner ashore. Some very good food to be found here.

Thanks for the help with San Juan. I've done some Googling following your suggestions and it definitely looks appealing. I'm so glad that I asked because I was ready to write it off because we only have a short time there. We arrive at 7am and leave at 1pm. For some reason I thought it was going to be an industrial port with nothing much of local interest and limited time to explore at a distance from the port.

Ravenscroft: The port is a very easy walk to all the sights. You will be in the "Old Town" and as everyone above has stated, it is a lovely town to walk and get a bite to eat. Go to "Trip Advisor" for suggestions on lunch.

The Old San Juan area near the pier is fairly easy walking. I can't remember if they claim they invented the pina colada. Im sure there's a bar or two there that will. Fort also is great for picture-taking.

Barrachina brags to have introduced the first pina colada..... but other places make the same claim. :)

In any case, Barrachina makes a really good frozen mojito. :)

Thanks for the help with San Juan. I've done some Googling following your suggestions and it definitely looks appealing. I'm so glad that I asked because I was ready to write it off because we only have a short time there. We arrive at 7am and leave at 1pm. For some reason I thought it was going to be an industrial port with nothing much of local interest and limited time to explore at a distance from the port.

Ravenscroft: If you are of an aesthetic mind, San Juan has an interesting Museo de Arte, which showcases island art. A broader view of Latin American art can be found at Museo de Las Americas--though not equal to MALBA in Buenos Aires. If you are of a lustier mind, the Bacardi rum distillery is just across the harbor. Seabourn will sell you a tour, but it might be more fun to walk off the pier and head for the ferry that crosses the harbor. Just ask anyone on the way off the pier. Or ask the person from Puerto Rico Tourism who will be available to answer questions in Seabourn Square early on the morning of your arrival. You might also ask--if so inclined--for the name of the famous old cafe (not in OSJ, I don't believe) that is the city's favorite for coffee and a some delicious specialties. Can't think of the name, but the tourist person will know. Sorry for the memory lapse.

It has been a long time, but I took the Seabourn bus tour, which included El Morro. It was horrible, and I learned an early lesson. Might have changed since then, but it's easy to do things ono your own.

Archived