Accessories for navy blue cocktail dress?

My new favorite cocktail dress is very dark blue - light navy. Last cruise, I wore it with black satin shoes and bag, and pearl, rhinestone and white gold jewelry.

Any ideas on other ways I could accessorize it? Would gold shoes and bag be too school-colors? And could I then only wear gold jewelry?

Should I look for silver shoes and bag? Something else?

Thank you!

My new favorite cocktail dress is very dark blue - light navy. Last cruise, I wore it with black satin shoes and bag, and pearl, rhinestone and white gold jewelry.

Any ideas on other ways I could accessorize it? Would gold shoes and bag be too school-colors? And could I then only wear gold jewelry?

Thank you!

Few questions..

Do you have a photo you can post so we can have a better idea?

What is your age? (at least range)

Are you willing to go buy new accessories or do you want to try to stick with things you already have?

You can certainly mix and match metallics...they are ALL considered "neutrals". I would probably wear some sort of metallic, strappy shoe....silver, if you want to match your jewelry. I'd leave off the pearls.

You can certainly mix and match metallics...they are ALL considered "neutrals". I would probably wear some sort of metallic, strappy shoe....silver, if you want to match your jewelry. I'd leave off the pearls.

I agree with cb at sea. I would wear a strappy shoe/sandal. Some of these strappy sandals are so close in color that you can't tell if they're a light gold or silver. HTH

I too am wearing a navy cocktail on my cruise and taking silver strappy mid heel sandals and purse. Trying to wear the same shoes with the other dress I am taking. I have not decided if it will be plum or black. Jewelry is sterling silver and sapphire.

Barb

Agree that either a matte silver strappy sandal would be the way to go. I'd go with a silver bag and accessories as well.

I like the bone/nude look in a shoe, but not so much for a cocktail dress.

Navy is a cool color, so I would choose a cool metallic, which would be silver. I think it would be a great choice. As to other accessories, go according to the style of dress. Generally, I like a purse to match my shoes, but that isn't necessarily the only choice these days. I love a necklace that is different and unique.

Nude shoes or sandals are very popular right now. I find them mostly to be warm as opposed to cool. If you think it may be an option, try a pair with the dress to see.

Thanks, everyone. You got me inspired. I'm tending towards the silver idea. Just five shopping months to go! Hmm, maybe I'll see how my late mother's crystal jewelry would look with the blue.

Any other thoughts still welcome. I get good ideas from other people's questions, too.

Thanks, everyone. You got me inspired. I'm tending towards the silver idea. Just five shopping months to go! Hmm, maybe I'll see how my late mother's crystal jewelry would look with the blue.

Any other thoughts still welcome. I get good ideas from other people's questions, too.

BBM

I'll bet it will look great! Please keep us posted.....

HAPPY CRUISING!!

I love jewlery with silver and gold tones. This will add a little more color and you could still wear the silver strappy shoes. Navy blue is my favorite color. Hope you can post a pix when you get it all together!

I, too, would go with silver. But if you wear silver shoes then skip the silver bag ... too matchy matchy. If you have a multicoloured bag, take that instead. Maybe find one that will go with everything you're planning to wear in the evening.

I have navy patent leather sandals and they have a gold buckle. I still wear them with silver jewellery. CB is right ... you can certainly mix metals.

Now if you want to go really crazy you could always go with a coloured stone necklace - green crystals would be pretty, so would bronze, yellow or even red. That might add a nice pop of colour, especially if you wind up with navy shoes & bag.

Hi I cruise a week today! Woo hoo! ( bit excited). I have a dark blue dress which is sparkly with sequins. My DH bought me some gold Jimmy Choos recently which I intended to wear with it but on trying them together apparently the sequins on dress took on a silver colour when the light hit them so now wearing silver sandals. Will still be able to wear gold with a red dress I have for one of the formal nights. I like the idea of a different colour pop but too late for me now! Enjoy and sure you will look lovely. :)

Thank you again, all, for good ideas and nice conversation. It reminds me once more that a good cruise dress is more than just a dress! (And a cruise is more than just the days on the ship.) Happy sailing!

Thank you!

I have a navy cocktail dress that I purchased for our last cruise. I purchased a lovely necklace that was being sold as fund raising and for Breast Cancer awareness that was close to being a choker (the dress is strapless) with clear rhinestones spaced all around it and in the center is a VERY pale, rectangular, pink stone. I purchased it from eBay and my DH loved it. I found super pale pink CZ earrings to go with it and wore my real diamond tennis bracelet. I wore black patent strappy heels and did not carry a purse. I often do not as DH will put my lip gloss in his tux pocket and I have very short hair and can "finger comb" it. I am going to wear the dress again in December and I am thinking of wearing all pearls with it. What does everyone out there think? By the way, I am an old lady - will be 65 in August - and I KNOW my arms are a little flabby for a strapless dress but my dear DH like them on me. I buy fairly expensive dresses - not junk - and NOTHING revealing - I dress and act like a lady. I just am not read to look matronly.

I purchased this dress - got it at a great sale price - and I am praying that it will look good on me - for our December cruise on Celebrity Eclipse. I will be 65 by the cruise and I wear a 10-12P. I am sure that I will need to have it hemmed as it was not available in petite. Also, I am concerned as I have never bought an ivory/white dress. Should I tan before we cruise? Spray tans end up turning yellow on me. I am quite pale as I am a blonde. What do you all think? Should I wear ivory shoes? Or black, navy, red?

Now let me see if I can figure out how to attach the photo of the dress.603423634_DRESSJulietStraplessSilkGownATaylor.jpg.48f57d68638e37988298426eeea8caae.jpg

If you want to be a little "edgy" I'd wear a pair of bright pink, red, or green pumps. I'm 65 and that's what I'd do.:D

I definitely agree with this! I think with a navy blue dress, red pumps or red accessories would be lovely together. If you decide on silver shoes, then red accessories or vice versa!

Archived