Don't forget to Tip the Youth Staff!

mary_228

If your child enjoyed his or her experience, it is a very nice touch to give some cash to the staff there. They pool the tips so all will share, no matter which counselor you loved the most. Even more important is to leave positive feedback on the post cruise survey. This can help the staff member's performance appraisal.

Please ignore those who may respond to this post with the ill-conceived notion that these are highly paid professional staff. My daughter works on a major market cruise ship and makes about $5 per hour.

I agree 100%!!! I saw the post you were referring to yesterday, started to type, then needed to walk away from my computer for a while ;) I don't like misinformation just to raise a post count.

Anyhoo - THANK YOU to your daughter - whoever she may be - for providing an awesome service to the cruising families. As I talk about so often around here - a great crew in a kids club has made a cruise truly FANTASTIC for my girls. My girls love to go to the kids clubs and they love their counselors. So many tears have been shed from leaving the ships because they were going to miss those kids club counselors. For that much of an impact to be made in 7 days or less - they deserve to be compensated!

We have been curious to know if there are any good guidelines out there for tipping. When we went last time my daughter only went for about 3 hours total (on a 5 day cruise), and I wasn't sure what an appropriate amount would be. Anyone know of estimates for reasonable tips?

We have been curious to know if there are any good guidelines out there for tipping. When we went last time my daughter only went for about 3 hours total (on a 5 day cruise), and I wasn't sure what an appropriate amount would be. Anyone know of estimates for reasonable tips?

We would also appreciate someone giving some guidance on this. We would like to tip the counsellors for our upcoming cruise.

According to my daughter, no tips would be expected or even dreamed of from a family whose child spent so little time in the club.

She recommended $20 per week per child as a starting point if your child spent a lot of time there. Some families have been much more generous. Do what makes you feels good. FWIW, I have read on CC of people giving gift card or phone cards. These items cannot be split amongst the staff, so they are not appreciated. I think she said they were thrown away :(.

That's just foolish to throw something like that away. Most crew now have international cell phones, but to toss a gift card? If nothing else, give it to a local charity for crying out loud.

$5 an hour might not seem like much, but when it includes room and board, work clothing, laundry service, and a chance to see the world (kid club staff seem to have more shore time in ports than many other crew members) it's much more than the average daycare worker makes. I'm not saying it wouldn't be nice to tip these folks, but I'm saying that putting apples next to oranges, it's not such a bad living.

That's just foolish to throw something like that away. Most crew now have international cell phones, but to toss a gift card? If nothing else, give it to a local charity for crying out loud.

$5 an hour might not seem like much, but when it includes room and board, work clothing, laundry service, and a chance to see the world (kid club staff seem to have more shore time in ports than many other crew members) it's much more than the average daycare worker makes. I'm not saying it wouldn't be nice to tip these folks, but I'm saying that putting apples next to oranges, it's not such a bad living.

So is your response meant to imply that people shouldn't be tipped because they choose a low wage job? :confused: I bring up the tipping issue because it never occurs to most parents since there is not a tip envelope directed toward these workers. Most people don't think twice of tipping the baggage handler at the dock $20 to put their luggage on a cart but entrust their children's care to these workers for hours at a time. And something tells me those dock workers make plenty! But our bags are important....:rolleyes:

So is your response meant to imply that people shouldn't be tipped because they choose a low wage job? :confused: I bring up the tipping issue because it never occurs to most parents since there is not a tip envelope directed toward these workers. Most people don't think twice of tipping the baggage handler at the dock $20 to put their luggage on a cart but entrust their children's care to these workers for hours at a time. And something tells me those dock workers make plenty! But our bags are important....:rolleyes:

Maybe you need to reread what I said.

And I quote:

I'm not saying it wouldn't be nice to tip these folks

Get over yourself.

mary_228.... while we all understand your daughter has worked on cruise ships for a couple of years (I remember your posts from 2010 on the same subject) and she has obviously mentioned that she doesn't get the tips she feels she deserves, you need to keep in mind that they are not required or even solicited in talks from the cruiseline or CDs so most don't think about. I have only tipped the workers in the kids area a few times. Quite often they did no more then the minimal they could do. On the occasions where the kids actually wanted to go back and they really made it enjoyable - as our last two - they got a tip.

As someone mentioned your daughter chose the job to look after children. If she expected tips for touching them, by using your own analogy, she should be loading the ship. A crude and snippy comparison by you.

I can see you chiming into other threads where people ask if or how much because that it actually helping others learn, but to start one just because your daughter isn't happy with us cruisers/parents.... well, the more you stress they should be tipped, frankly the less desire I have to do it.

There are many of this board who want to know the "right thing" to do and have asked. This thread just smacks of hard feelings about your daughter not getting the tips she and you feel she so richly deserves.

I'm with ducklilte on this one. Get over yourself.

mary_228.... while we all understand your daughter has worked on cruise ships for a couple of years (I remember your posts from 2010 on the same subject) and she has obviously mentioned that she doesn't get the tips she feels she deserves, you need to keep in mind that they are not required or even solicited in talks from the cruiseline or CDs so most don't think about.

well, the more you stress they should be tipped, frankly the less desire I have to do it.

There are many of this board who want to know the "right thing" to do and have asked. This thread just smacks of hard feelings about your daughter not getting the tips she and you feel she so richly deserves.

Get over yourself.

Wow! First, my daughter is not begging for tips, and has not asked me to post on this topic. My children have particpated in the kids programs for many years (starting with this child) and I was always so grateful for their experience (and mine) that I felt compelled to tip something, and felt mildly awkward about it and had no idea about the amounts, etc. It has only been since I learned first hand of their actual compensation and inquired about the tipping practices that I even became aware that tipping is so appreciated. I am simply attempting to share this information with other parents, who might not think about this group. I believe that in every post I have emphasized that the decision to tip would be based on the child's experience with the program. I am surprised by the anger directed at my attempts to share this information. It is hardly likely that any tips would come her way from anything I post here, but hopefully some of the hundreds of youth staff might benefit in some small way. I really don't understand why anyone would object to my posts.

Mary, for what it is worth, I appreciate the information. We had no idea what an appropriate tip would be, and had no idea whether our tips were appropriate or not (too high or too low). The $20 for a week guideline for a child who attends frequently (as a start) is very helpful!

I know someone who had 20-some bags between six people for a week long cruise. Don't ask me where they put it all, not my problem.

I've been known to overpack just a wee bit :o

I've had strollers, car seats, high chairs 8 pieces of luggage and then of course backpacks for each one of us for the carryons.

Curious as to how this would work. When we have sailed Disney - we never tipped - didn't really think about it, because there are SO MANY cast members in the club. There are usually 4+ working the check in / check out desk in addition to the many members actually in the club... I would not know who to tip - and that $20 would be spread pretty thin if they shared it

Wow! First, my daughter is not begging for tips, and has not asked me to post on this topic. My children have particpated in the kids programs for many years (starting with this child) and I was always so grateful for their experience (and mine) that I felt compelled to tip something, and felt mildly awkward about it and had no idea about the amounts, etc. It has only been since I learned first hand of their actual compensation and inquired about the tipping practices that I even became aware that tipping is so appreciated. I am simply attempting to share this information with other parents, who might not think about this group. I believe that in every post I have emphasized that the decision to tip would be based on the child's experience with the program. I am surprised by the anger directed at my attempts to share this information. It is hardly likely that any tips would come her way from anything I post here, but hopefully some of the hundreds of youth staff might benefit in some small way. I really don't understand why anyone would object to my posts.

I appreciate your post and I think people who are new to cruising or even new to cruising with children would appreciate it. I don't think your intention was to start this thread because your daughter is unhappy. It's to give information to others who may not have known. (I for one, didn't really think of it until we were actually ON the ship with our kids - we had cruised twice before, but without them so it didn't occur to me!)

Truthfully, the room stewards chose their job too and we tip them. Choosing the job shouldn't be the discussion. Doing a good job and making your child feel special and welcome and having fun, that's the discussion. We tip on the amount of the bill at a restaurant and can tip upwards of $20 on an average meal. Why wouldn't I consider tipping $20 for my child for a week (or even less) on a cruise?

Mary - thanks for your information. I'll use my favorite term again - people get keyboard balls and jump all over people. I will never understand why. Don't let it get ya!

Mary - thanks for posting the guideline $20.

I think the problem here is that the Cruiselines specifically provide for tips for waitstaff/ room sterwards/ bar service staff etc. However, they do not provide any info on this for Youth Staff. Parents will have no idea that the Youth staff are only paid $5 per hour.

Thanks for the info, I honestly didn't think about this and we will have a 3 and 10 year old who hopefully will be using the activities once in awhile. I will make sure to out some aside for our trip next year. On all our vacations we have never used a kids program so this might be a nice break for a few hours a day to have some adult time.

I think with all the prepaid gratuities it is easy to miss something. Plus many countries don't have standard tipping due to different wage scales.

ON each cruise with my young granddaughters I did tip(money) to the "kids club". It was just something I wanted to do.

It was the comment by the OP to not give phone cards that surprised me... they are being tossed? and not used. Surely someone/somewhere would find them useful.

It was the comment by the OP to not give phone cards that surprised me... they are being tossed? and not used. Surely someone/somewhere would find them useful.

This isn't the first time I have seen that comment and the other time wasn't by Mary. ;)

That comment always seems to come up in tipping threads and when someone asks if gift cards are ok - crew members who pool their tips have reported that this does occur. So it wasn't a surprise when Mary mentioned it.

Cash is the gold standard onboard.

I wonder if RCCL's staff shares their tips as well in the Adventure Ocean. Last time I took 2 envelopes each with a 20 dollar bill and my intent was to give it to the people that worked with the 6 year olds, in particular the nice people who took our son to Adventure Dining. But I had trouble finding out exactly who to give it to. The lady at the Adventure Ocean check in desk took an envelope and directed me to a lady in the nursery to give the other one too.

And thank you for the information. Our last cruise was the first one that we took advantage of the kids activities and our son loved them. I was glad to have a heads up on Cruise Critic to take along some cash for the kids staff.

For RCCL I do know that they share tips. Each staff member rotates through the different age groups. Each sailing they are assigned the next age group up from the previous sailing. So you do not burn out on always taking care of the younger (more work) kids. Well you can imagine that the amount of tips a teen councelor recieves is significantly lower than the younger ones. So the easiest/fairest way is to pool everything and split it out evenly. If you truly want to reward someone for doing a great job with your kids single out their name on a comment card. Even better write an email or letter to corporate when you return. These all go in their file and help tremendously when they want to move to a new ship or try for a child care director position.

Now I do not know if this is true with the nursery staff that is available on some ships. That is run as a totaly separate department.

Archived