Choosing a time for WP&YR

PattiPB

We are doing the round-trip, 3-hour trip while in Skagway. That's not the debate question. :rolleyes:

Is there any benefit to choosing the AM or the PM train time?

Thanks for insight and experiences with both/either~

We are doing the round-trip, 3-hour trip while in Skagway. That's not the debate question. :rolleyes:

Is there any benefit to choosing the AM or the PM train time?

Thanks for insight and experiences with both/either~

We chose the PM train as I don't like to wake up super early to hurry up and wait on vacation. I like to go to the dining room and have a nice leisurely breakfast. As far as the town of Skagway we did not find that there was much to see or do and the White Pass Yukon train was very enjoyable.

My DW and I did the PM train 10 yrs ago and saw lots of wildlife. Nine yrs ago my DS, DD, and I took the AM train and drew blanks with animal viewing. Last week, I took the AM train to Carcross and saw nothing - she went on the PM summit train and once again saw bears and mountain goats. So my track record is that the PM train is best for wildlife viewing.

We chose the AM because of photography considerations... The morning has a bit of mist, which is good, and I'll take 9-10 am sunlight than the harsher 2-3 pm. The AM looked a bit less crowded also.

Truly amazing sight.

Thanks for the insights!

We're going to do the PM because my parents will be with us, and at 82 the mornings can be a bit sloooooooooowwwwww :).

Shocked and happy about the experiences with wildlife AM vs. PM!

It doesn't matter what time you choose, the trip will be unique for you. :)

I suggest you look at your ENTIRE day and what else you may have plans for?? Then book the train where it fits your time best.

I give little concern to the early times. IF you wish to have a full day advantage of touring, most people are coming from at least an hour time difference and many, more hours.

We just returned and did the noon train on the assumption that if the weather was bad, it might clear by the afternoon. We had a great ride and once we actually got out of Skagway itself, we had sun-the first sun we had seen all week. We had a nice leisurely breakfast and then walked into Skagway in the morning, locating where we would need to meet our guide at the pier, as we used Chilkoot tours.Skagway is a cute town and we had a nice walk, as well as a chance to stop at a store or two.

Archived