So....what's next for us?? Help, please...

We've done a number of Easterns, Westerns, and Southern Caribbean routes now. We are ready for something different! We just don't think a land-based vacation would even compare to a cruise!

I've been checking the RCCL site for summer 2013, but I'm just not sure what to look for! Maybe it's time for a Med. cruise? Price of the cruise doesn't look too bad, but I'm sure the price of airfare would be horrible!

Can you recommend a ship/itinerary that you've really enjoyed?? We always book a year out, and this is the first time I'm at a loss as to what to book!

Help......I need a new cruise!

One of the nicest cruises we have done is a River Cruise down the Danube at Christmas time - it went from Nuremburg Germany to Budapest Hungary. They call it a Christmas Market cruise because all the towns have markets which are beautifully decorated with holiday themes, and it is all truly beautiful. Lots of fun stuff for sale....I bought some wooden painted handmade angel ornaments, and some really nice leather gloves. In the middle of each market they sell the most amazing grilled sausages, hot spiced wine, and very good beer. In addition to all this you visit castles, old medieval villages, sail through amazing scenery (think of The Sound of Music...it was filmed there) and so much more. Salzburg, Vienna, wow. All in all, a VERY nice cruise!

If your budget allows, there is much to do and see in Australia and Antarctica - both of which are beautiful and cruise visits there can give you once-in-a-lifetime experiences and/or give you reasons to return.

Also, don't discount a land-based vacation. Much that is amazing in travel is not cruise-accessible; a lot of Africa, for instance.

Alaska is beautiful, but airfare for us was at least 1000.00+ from TN. and excursions are really expensive, everyone needs to do it once. I have a question about New England and Canada cruise in OCT., don't want to hijack, but can someone tell me about it, is it worth going, (I guess dumb question, anytime on a ship is worth going :) is it easy to get off the ship and tour the city, what excursions is there to do. We enjoy history and were very easy to pls., also probably taking kids?

If you like sea days and could swing an extra day or two, what about one of the 12-night transatlantics on the southern route.

You would only have to swing 1 European airfare (and if you book a year in advance you have lots of time to find a deal). These cruises tend to be very inexpensive so you would make up for the airfare anyway. If you sail out of Spain, your itinerary might include the beaches of Tenerife as well as lots of time on the decks.

Let us know what you decide!

Which Southern Caribbean cruise did you do? Aruba? Lots of islands in the Caribbean to explore.

I know a lot of people do this...but I just can't imagine cruising to the Caribbean again and again and again and again when there are so many fascinating places out there to explore and beautiful (and new!) sights to see.

Transatlantics.

We love them

And wind up going to destinations

you would not normally think of going to!

Or do a Maine coast tall ship schooner cruise

For a week with 30 others that become your closest friends.

Or do a river theme cruise

They are all over europe

We've done a number of Easterns, Westerns, and Southern Caribbean routes now. We are ready for something different! We just don't think a land-based vacation would even compare to a cruise!

. . .

Can you recommend a ship/itinerary that you've really enjoyed?? We always book a year out, and this is the first time I'm at a loss as to what to book!

I think my favorit cruise was the Panama Canal. We flew from Virginia to San Diego and cruised to Cabo San Lucas (loved it), Acapulco (not bad) Huatulco, Mexico (not special) Puntarenas, Costa Rico (took a great Rain forest excursion), Traveled through the Canal from 6am to 6pm (fabulous--with live narration all day), a brief stop in Colon, Panama and finally, Cartegena, Colombia (much better port than I expected) and landed in Miami. You can get one-way flights and save money over a multiple city flight.

One thing I really liked was the rhythm of the 14 day cruise. There was a day between each stop except one. We had time to plan our next port of call and we did not get tired--like we do on some port intensive cruises.

If you are cruising during the summer - Alaska is something to see. If you can add the land tour to Denali that would be the best. Not a warm weather cruise - but not freezing either unless you choose a walk on a glacier tour.

We did a Med cruise this May and not only were the airfares very expensive - so were the tours.

We were in the same boat as you (pun intended). We are water babies and absolutely love swimming, snorkeling and spending time on beautiful beaches. We had spent a lot of time in the Caribbean (between cruises, land vacations and week long catamaran trips) and wanted to try something new.

We sailed on NCL's Pride of America through the Hawaiian Islands. There were a couple of overnights (one in Maui and one in Kauai) which gave us more time to experience these islands. We had a great mixture of beach time and tours and had a really nice vacation. This was a seven night cruise so would fit in with your schedule. It sails out of Oahu so we would recommend a night pre-cruise in Waikiki and then post cruise on the north shore of Oahu which is a totally different experience.

We then decided to expand our horizons even more and took a cruise to French Polynesia on the Royal Princess. To us, it was the most beautiful place in the world. We loved all the time we got to spend in the water and while all ports are islands or motus, the experiences were unique at each stop. It would require a little more time away, but so very worth it.

We then decided to expand our horizons and cruised on Rhapsody of the Seas out of Sydney, Australia to the south Pacific last fall and had a great vacation. We spent our pre-cruise time out on the Great Barrier Reef and had an amazing time. Another trip that would require more time though, at least two to three weeks.

And now this fall we are cruising the Mediterranean on Liberty of the Seas out of Barcelona. At this point we do not have any beach days planned and feel like our last cruise helped us transition. It will be a lot of history and culture, and I am sure we will enjoy this experience as well. We are sailing for seven nights with two stops in France (French Riviera so if we want to visit a beach we can) and then three stops in Italy

Our cruises have really opened us up to new places, some that we hope to visit again in the future. We are hoping to do an RCCL cruise to Asia someday based on some of the reviews we have read on here.

Good luck with your planning. .

We are in the same situation as you.

We've booked Mediterranean cruises twice, and ended up switching them because the cost of airfare put us WAY out of budget. Same with Alaska. And, excursions in those regions are budget-busters too.

How about Oasis or Allure? The ports might be old and tiresome, but the ship is really the destination, and the entertainment certainly is new and innovative.

Jewel has pretty good summer itineraries, too. Some Southern ports might be new-to-you, or at least ones you haven't been to over and over again.

Have you tried Canada/New England? We did it at the end of August, and it was very nice for a change!

Donna, I know how you feel. Although I haven't officially booked the Med, it's my dream cruise. The obstacle is the airfare. We sailed Canada N/E last Sept and while it was a good change, I felt like the youngest person onboard. LOL. I think it's time for me to just bite the bullet and eat bird seed for a year so I can sail the Med.

If I were you, I would try Celebrity cruises; The Solstice class especially! The ships are wonderful, there is lots to do with the Celebrity Life activities, fantastic service, great food, fun ports, and everything you'd wish to have on a cruise. I just got back from the Celebrity Equinox in March, and I would go on the Equinox again or one of Celebrity's other ships in a heartbeat! Had such a great time, and its a cruise line owned by Royal Caribbean. I think Celebrity is best at Europe or Caribbean cruises. It is such a wonderful line. Whatever you choose, happy travels and have a great cruise!

TheCruisingQueen :D

Past Cruises:

Norwegian Jewel Nov/2009

Norwegian Epic Mar/2011

Royal Caribbean Allure of the seas Sept/2011

Celebrity Equinox Mar/2012

Cruises Coming Up:

Carnival Glory Aug/2012

Disney Fantasy Feb/2013

and hopefully more to come!

Alaska is beautiful, but airfare for us was at least 1000.00+ from TN. and excursions are really expensive, everyone needs to do it once. I have a question about New England and Canada cruise in OCT., don't want to hijack, but can someone tell me about it, is it worth going, (I guess dumb question, anytime on a ship is worth going :) is it easy to get off the ship and tour the city, what excursions is there to do. We enjoy history and were very easy to pls., also probably taking kids?

Very easy to get off the ship and explore on your own. As far as whether it was worthwhile, it was my least favorite of 18 cruises. Honestly, your kids might be bored.

There are lots of great cruises out there, but realize the OP said June/July, 7 days max cruise, no kids with them at this time. Given those "limits," Bermuda, Alaska, and the Med are IMHO the best options.

Bermuda is probably the easiest/cheapest, especially from the east cost. However, given that these cruises leave out of NJ, wouldn't want to add any days at the city of embarkation.:D I do believe they run 9 or 10-day cruises that would still work. This is the option with the most sun & fun and beach days. However, it's not all that different from the Caribbean -- yes, Bermuda is very different but it's warm weather, beaches, and the like. So, if you want to do something DIFFERENT . . .

My parents and I LOVED our Alaska 7-day -- and it's easy to add days on either end. Great scenery. Interesting tours (whale watching, narrow gauge railway, etc.). Animals. Glaciers. Oh my!:p

The Med is WONDERFUL and you could easily spend several days in your port of embarkation/debarkation. Almost every cruise is guaranteed to have wonderful ports with lots of history. If you've never been to Europe before . . . well, you'll be back! However, do consider that airfare will likely be more costly.

Let us know what you decide!

Since you are limited to a 7 day cruise, I'd say switch to NCL and do one of their 7 day Hawaiian itineraries.

Beaches in every port. If you'd want to travel the islands...just rent a car with a GPS, buy the "Hawaii Revealed" books, and travel at your leisure. Much less expensive then formal itineraries.

I'd say Alaska, Med, and New England would only be good if you were more interesed in the culture and history of the city...not the beaches.

My vote would be Alaska for your time of year that you can cruise. Alaska is sitll my number one cruise destination, then I have to say Panama Canal. I loved Europe, but my thoughts you need lots of time to do that to equal out the cost of air fare.

Lots of information in the ports of call area that can help you save on independent tours.

I am from the Midwest also and we have to fly to whichever port we

sail out of. If you are tired of the Caribbean, I would definately check

out the Med cruises. The price of the cruise can be very comparable

to a Caribbean cruise. Our airfare typically runs about $1000 per person

to Europe but since you are already used to coughing up money for

airfare, why not pay a little more and explore new horizons? It's

definately worth looking into. Choice Air can give some good prices

on airfare sometimes.

Yes, you are right, ggo85, a little more information would help...

As of right now, a 7 day cruise would be our limit. We usually spend one night pre-cruise and two nights after the cruise so that's about 10-11 days total.

Being from the Midwest, we really enjoy spending time on new beaches. We do some sightseeing in some ports, but give us a couple of great chairs with a couple of cold beverages on a beautiful beach, and we are happy!

Actually, we enjoy the seadays just as much as a port day! I think we would miss a sea day or two!

For the next few years, we can ony travel in June or July. I can't wait until we can take advantages of the better prices at different times of the year!

It is usually just the two of us cruising each summer. I'd love to take our grown kids someday, though!

Hopefully, that's given you all some additional info to give us your very best suggestions. I'll look forward to your ideas!!! Thanks!

If you enjoy relaxing on a beach then i would not go to the Med. It is very port intensive but why would you miss out on Greece-Athens, Turkey etc which is Eatern Med or Rome,pompeii etc on western Med. If you are going to spend a lot of money to fly to the Med you have to see as much as you can.

This was by far my favorite and i have been on 30 cruises. Go all the way thru, not just turn around. it is hot in spring and rainy in fall.

Hawaii too, but there is a lot of time at sea, unless you do NCL.

I loved the New England and Canada, very relaxing,

Good luck choosing!

We too are very "beachy" people and have grown tired of the usual ports... but we have discovered cruising the Southern Caribbean lets us see many islands we haven't seen before.

We stopped in Tortola for a port stop, but I can't tell you a thing about it - because we immediately got on a boat and spent the day in Jost Van Dyke. I absolutely fell in love with St. Kitts... but next time I would probably catch the ferry to go to Nevis.

I think you can find lots of different and new beaches to explore, if you travel the different Southern Caribbean routes.

Ann

I was going to say Alaska or Panama Canal, but I saw your most recent post (7 night max and beaches), so I say . . .

BERMUDA!

We loved the trip. Only did it once but it is like 4 sea days and 3 days in Bermuda on the beach. It was relaxing as heck! I don't think airfares to NY or Baltimore (have to check departure point) would be too bad.

Have fun deciding!

I think you hit the nail right on the head. Bermuda would be a great solution for the OP's "problem," and flying from the midwest to Newark or flying into Baltimore to Bermuda sounds very doable. Either port would offer wonderful pre- or post-cruise options (New York/Baltimore/DC) to round out the vacation. All in all, not a terrible problem to have....;):D

I've been checking the RCCL site for summer 2013, but I'm just not sure what to look for! Maybe it's time for a Med. cruise? Price of the cruise doesn't look too bad, but I'm sure the price of airfare would be horrible!

definetly ready for the Radiance Alaska SB. Skip Denali as the animals were too far away. Choose July as its best for whales and bears. Book an aft balcony if you can. Do your research and book your own excursions. You'll need alot of money. Book Family Air to anan creek for the bears. Was the most awesome excursion I was ever on. Book the 9 hour tour at Kenai Fjordes North western glacier (this is just prior to taking the cruise) -day of departure. We went last July - tons of research. Probably the most expensive cruise/excursions we ever took; but other than Denali, was so worth the money. Plan to do a land tour to Ketchikan another time someday.

Archived