Riviera, Deck 11 Oceania Suite

Zouave

Heard good and bad about this suite. Most rave about the wrap around deck, some complain about noise from Terrace Cafe above. Any observations and or photos to share?

Zouave

Zouave,

If you do a search, you'll find that JimandStan have posted many *wonderful* pictures of an Oceania Suite on Deck 11.

Here's a link to two of the threads where they've posted pictures:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=34432843#post34432843

and

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1488315&highlight=jimandstan

I keep looking at the OS photos and wishing there was a way to magically turn the PH on our next cruise into this suite. It's not going to happen, but a gal can dream. :)

Keep an eye out for the photos J and S post...I've learned a lot about Marina, Riviera, and ships in general from their posts.

(I found the J & S photos by searching JimandStan, since I knew they've posted great info re: the OS on Deck 11.)

We have stayed in both an 11th and 12th deck Oceania Suite and enjoyed both--hard not to!!! They both have items to recommend them--rear of the ship on 11, so some better views than 12 where you only see from one side of the ship. Wrap around deck on 11 while larger, did not feel as "usable"--lots of extra space with no extra furniture. Setup in the bathroom (bigger) and bar area is nicer on 12 and I preferred the suite layout on 12--media room is also slightly bigger. I may be wrong, but the suite area seemed larger on 12.

Wiks:)

• 2 weeks later...

We recently disembarked Riviera and encountered personally the noise issues in the aft suites on deck 11. We traveled in a penthouse but our friends took both Oceania Suites on deck 11 (11080 and 11083). Each of them complained about the horrendous noise that came from the Terrace above their suites. It began early in the mornings as the furniture was being scraped across the teak decks and caused disturbance to their sleep. It was also a nuisance in the day time or any time the terrace cafe was being used. I would imagine that in a future dry dock Oceania would be able to improve the insulation between the ceiling of 11 and the flooring of 12. A simple fix would be to put thick pads on the chair legs. As an interim fix I think that would help lessen the noise factor until such times as a modification to that area of the ship occurs. The suites themselves are simply gorgeous and their wraparound deck provided great vistas. If you are concerned in any way about the noise I would recommend the deck 12 Oceania Suites but then if you are seeking the wonderful wraparound balcony you may have to just deal with the noise issues. I hope that this helps you make an informed decision.

I am not sure if this same issue applies to Marina. Perhaps someone else can speak to Marina and say whether a similar noise problem is noticeable?

Ashley.

We recently disembarked Riviera and encountered personally the noise issues in the aft suites on deck 11. We traveled in a penthouse but our friends took both Oceania Suites on deck 11 (11080 and 11083). Each of them complained about the horrendous noise that came from the Terrace above their suites. It began early in the mornings as the furniture was being scraped across the teak decks and caused disturbance to their sleep. It was also a nuisance in the day time or any time the terrace cafe was being used. I would imagine that in a future dry dock Oceania would be able to improve the insulation between the ceiling of 11 and the flooring of 12. A simple fix would be to put thick pads on the chair legs. As an interim fix I think that would help lessen the noise factor until such times as a modification to that area of the ship occurs. The suites themselves are simply gorgeous and their wraparound deck provided great vistas. If you are concerned in any way about the noise I would recommend the deck 12 Oceania Suites but then if you are seeking the wonderful wraparound balcony you may have to just deal with the noise issues. I hope that this helps you make an informed decision.

I am not sure if this same issue applies to Marina. Perhaps someone else can speak to Marina and say whether a similar noise problem is noticeable?

Ashley.

We were in 11083 on the Marina's second voyage and never heard ANYTHING. I mean zero sounds, nothing at all.

Unfortunately, in 11080 on the Riviera there was significant noise from above although to be fair it was sporadic. Whenever we we were on the cusp of calling or going up there to complain, it would suddenly get silent again.

As you can imagine, there are endlessly different groupings of passengers vying for those prime tables at the stern, and it MAY just be a case of the staff needing a reminder that there are passenger accommodations UNDER that Terrace, so the furniture needs to be reconfigured gently...

Riviera-Terrace-7851.JPG

By the By, when searching for a photograph of that terrace, I found this one that I'd taken in Monte Carlo, because a dear friends yacht was moored just aft of the Riviera:

063011.jpg If you can read her name, you'll know just who I mean ;)

Thanks Jim and Stan. If you refer to the Lady Moura, we have seen her often although she was not in port when we visited Monte Carlo a couple of weeks ago. Thank you for your answer and comments. I have some photos of the penthouse suite we took for this recent voyage but I can not figure out how to embed them into my post like you do. Is there a tutorial somewhere on the CruiseCritic site? I have only attached photos in the past but they were 'thumbnail' quality. Can you please direct me to the instructions on how to embed the larger, better quality photos? Thank you very much.

Ashley

Sorry to report that as much as we loved the OS on deck10 on the Marina, we too were awakened by the noise of chairs and tables being moved as early as 5:30am from the upper deck. The people in the Oceania suite above us were trying their best to change accommodations!!

We complained and honestly they tried to remedy the situation. Also the entire suite shook, rattled and rolled when we left or arrived into ports.Never aft again. We are trying the new Riviera in September in a Vista suite....

Sorry to report that as much as we loved the OS on deck10 on the Marina, we too were awakened by the noise of chairs and tables being moved as early as 5:30am from the upper deck. The people in the Oceania suite above us were trying their best to change accommodations!!

We complained and honestly they tried to remedy the situation. Also the entire suite shook, rattled and rolled when we left or arrived into ports.Never aft again. We are trying the new Riviera in September in a Vista suite....

Being awakened by ANYTHING that is going on two decks above you is just a little too "Princess and the Pea" for me to take seriously; but have you heard (and this is REALLY TRUE) that Norwegian Cruise Line has introduced Bowling Alleys on their Norwegian Pearl?

bowling.jpg Now that would be something to sleep under!

Also the entire suite shook, rattled and rolled when we left or arrived into ports.Never aft again.

Truth be told no matter where you are the ship shakes whenever you leave port

We were Deck 7 mid ship still felt the rattles ;)

Ships are ships. When using bow or stern thrusters, going forwards or backwards in coming up to a dock the ship - every ship - moves and shudders. Good thing too! Proves they have engines!!

Nothing like the Marina though...that is a whole other experience:D

...but have you heard (and this is REALLY TRUE) that Norwegian Cruise Line has introduced Bowling Alleys on their Norwegian Pearl?

Now that would be something to sleep under!

Yes, but they're on Deck 7, under all the cabin decks, part of the Bliss nightclub which was already noisy, and above the Summer Palace dining room.

133852.jpg

The only ones sleeping under it will be crew, at least two decks down. :cool::p

Archived