London: How's My Plan

We have two FULL days in London pre-cruise in September. There are four of us--we have been to London, our traveling mates have not.

We're trying to get a handle on logistics--here's the idea, can this work? We think we'll get a 2--day LondonPass.

Day 1

Tower of London

Thames River Cruise

Westminster Abbey

Churchill War Rooms

Day 2

Buckingham Palace Tour and Guard Change

Walking around Parliament area

Tate Gallery

London Eye

We'd like to add a stint in Harrod's basement but don't know where it will fit. We are staying in the Mayfair area near Buckingham Palace.

Thanks!

Any reason you're not going to make use of the HOHO (red bus) ?..This was an easy way for us to have an overview for a first time trip and HO where we wanted to..Are you sure your friends wouldn't enjoy this option?

We have two FULL days in London pre-cruise in September. There are four of us--we have been to London, our traveling mates have not.

We're trying to get a handle on logistics--here's the idea, can this work? We think we'll get a 2-day LondonPass.

Day 1

Tower of London

Thames River Cruise

Westminster Abbey

Churchill War Rooms

Day 2

Tate Gallery

London Eye

We'd like to add a stint in Harrod's basement but don't know where it will fit. We are staying in the Mayfair area near Buckingham Palace.

Thanks!

Day 1 looks good, presumably using the one of the river buses from Tower Pier to Westminster for the Abbey/ war Rooms in the afternoon.

Both the Tower of London and Churchill war Rooms are covered under the railways 2 for 1 admission promotion. If you buy a 1 day Travelcard from either Charing Cross or Victoria Railway stations (or any other mainline station) you will get half price admission to these and all your public transportfor 7 GBP - about $10.50. I think one of the river buses also gives 33% discount for Travelcard holders too.

The London Eye is across Westminster Bridge from Wesminster Abbey. so you could eat in the Westminster/County hall area and take a walk to the London Eye for an evening "flight".

If you are in the Mayfair area then the upmarket shopping is on your doorstep. The old arcades like the Burlington Arcade, Fortnum & mason (the queen's grocer), Saville Row, Bond Street are all clustered together.

Harrod's is open until 9 p.m. so this could be an evening excursion too, perhaps having dinner there or around. Harrod's is in Knightsbridge a mile down the road, two stops on the Underground or the number 9 bus from Piccadilly.

There are two tate galleries, Tate Modern and tate a couple of miles apart.

What have you already seen in London? Are you and your traveling companions staying together the whole time? Do all four of you want to do the exact same things?

If I may indulge in some gender stereotyping, perhaps the women want to go shopping while the men go to the Imperial War Museum. Perhaps the women want to go to the theatre while the men go to pubs. Perhaps you want to get away from the three of them for some "me" time.

I do not see anything on your Day 2 that is covered by the London Pass. You may only want a one day pass. You would save a little using the Days Out 2 for 1 offers that handfordr mentioned. Prices using 2 for 1 on the Tower, cruise, and Churchill Museum listed below:

£09.00 Tower of London

£07.25 Thames River Cruise

£16.00 Westminster Abbey

£07.50 Churchill War Rooms

£39.75 Total

I assume that shipping raises the London Pass price above the current £41.40 sale price. The misleading marketing by London Pass keeps me from recommending them.

We are a male/female couple but our traveling companions are 2 females. I thought about sending DH to the war thing on his own, and may still do that and we'll go shopping. This is at the very beginning of our trip and "the girls" have never traveled abroad before, so we'll look after them in London. They say they'll do whatever we want to do.

I figured the LondonPass was a wash savings-wise. It may not be so crowded in September so the long queues may not be an issue.

If you take the boat back from Tower to Westminster Bridge, by necessity you would "walk around Parliament area" on your way to the Abbey. That would leave time for something else on Day 2- National gallery, british Museum, V and A, etc.

We are a male/female couple but our traveling companions are 2 females. I thought about sending DH to the war thing on his own, and may still do that and we'll go shopping. This is at the very beginning of our trip and "the girls" have never traveled abroad before, so we'll look after them in London. They say they'll do whatever we want to do.

I figured the LondonPass was a wash savings-wise. It may not be so crowded in September so the long queues may not be an issue.

Check out daysoutguide web site - 2-for-1 coupons for Tower and many other places, including Liverpool and Glasgow HOHO fees - based on those offers, did not use London Pass. Also, Westminster Abbey, Parliament, London Eye, and Parliament are literally in the same area - and Buckingham Palace is only 15-20 minute walk. Not sure of Churchill War Rooms. Might want to adjust your tour accordingly - Herod's was a disappointment - but at least we can say we were there (about 20 minute walk from Buckingham Palace). Tower of London requires transit from Westminster area (we used Tube and the transit card). We were May 25 at Tower around 1 pm - no lineups - warm and sunny day.

I'm interested in buying the travelcard for the 2-4-1 specials. We are staying at St Katherine's Dock area for 2 1/2 days. What would be the closest rail station to buy the travelcard at to qualify for the specials.

Thanks,

Kathy

I'm interested in buying the travelcard for the 2-4-1 specials. We are staying at St Katherine's Dock area for 2 1/2 days. What would be the closest rail station to buy the travelcard at to qualify for the specials.

Thanks,

Kathy

Check out Fenchurch Street - if they don't then its London Bridge or Liverpool Street

Update: I went low-tech and bought a London guidebook at AAA. The book (DK) is well thought-out and sorted by neighborhood. What started out as overwhelming is crystal clear now. Thank you all for your time to answer my query.

Thanks,

Kathy

We bought the Gatwick Express tickets - never asked to show receipts. Daysout web site does not require anything - just have to print them out -- the web site indicates what "trains" you have to use, but as I said, never asked to show train receipts

We're trying to get a handle on logistics--here's the idea, can this work? We think we'll get a 2--day LondonPass.

Day 1

Tower of London

Thames River Cruise

Westminster Abbey

Churchill War Rooms

Day 2

Tate Gallery

London Eye

Thanks!

Looks workable. If Parliament is in session, you may be able to go in and view it in session for a while?

Looks workable. If Parliament is in session, you may be able to go in and view it in session for a while?

If you can do that, it is a great experience but I believe it is only for UK citizens now. We did manage many years ago to be in the Strangers Gallery for the PM Question Time before the rules changed and it was a hoot (as well as informative).

Cheers

If you can do that, it is a great experience but I believe it is only for UK citizens now. We did manage many years ago to be in the Strangers Gallery for the PM Question Time before the rules changed and it was a hoot (as well as informative).

Cheers

I didn't know the rules had changed. We were able to see Maggie Thatcher during question time back in 81. It was amazing.

Do you have to make a reservation for Churchill War rooms- or can you just show up?

check out web site daysoutguide for 2-for-1 coupons for that, Tower of London and others - supposed to buy train tickets (e.g. Gatwick Express, etc.) but were never told to show copy (which we had). As for advanced booking, no line at the Tower when we went on a warm Friday afternoon around 1 pm in late May, but can have lines for attractions (Westminster Abbey was about 15 minutes).

Day 1

Tower of London

Thames River Cruise

Westminster Abbey

Churchill War Rooms

Day 2

Tate Gallery

London Eye

Thanks!

We did 2 days post-cruise of London, and we did everything you just did minus the Tate Gallery.

We stayed at the Victoria Park Plaza near Victoria Station. It was walkable to Buckingham Palace, The Mall, Big Ben/Parliament, Westminster Abbey, and a bit of a hike but still walkable to Trafalgar Square.

I don't think you'll need the 2-day London Pass -- unless someone corrects me.

We bought a combo ticket which included "The Original Sightseeing Tour" (red Hop On Hop Off bus) that had the Tower of London and River Thames Cruise built in. {www.theoriginaltour.com}

Everything you're doing on Day 2 is walkable. We walked the entire city both days and only used the double decker bus to take us from one end (Westminster area) to the other end (Tower of London). The HOHO bus also stops at all of these areas (not sure about the war rooms) so that makes it easier as well. :rolleyes:

If you take the boat back from Tower to Westminster Bridge, by necessity you would "walk around Parliament area" on your way to the Abbey. That would leave time for something else on Day 2- National gallery, british Museum, V and A, etc.

Excellent point!

Cheers

According to Parliament website, overseas visitors are still allowed to watch Parliament in session. See below

http://www.parliament.uk/visiting/visiting-and-tours/overseasvisitors/

According to Parliament website, overseas visitors are still allowed to watch Parliament in session. See below

http://www.parliament.uk/visiting/visiting-and-tours/overseasvisitors/

My misunderstanding. I confused the ticket policy for Question Time with "General Admission".

Looks like you can que after the UK residents with tickets to Question Time are admitted. If you can stand the wait, it is well worthwhile. Other times are rather dull in comparison. :D

Cheers

I didn't know the rules had changed. We were able to see Maggie Thatcher during question time back in 81. It was amazing.

We were there in June 2006 and were able to enter the Parliament and watch a session. Very Interesting.

Archived