Driving in Miami and Fort Lauderdale question...

Pharmguy83

Hey everyone! I am looking for an opinion... We are flying into Miami and staying in Fort Lauderdale the day before our cruise... We have been tossing around the idea of renting a car, since it is going to cost us around $80 for our cab to the hotel alone. The rental will only cost us 50 dollars taxes in...that includes a GPS... Our only worry is we come from an area where the city driving is not that complex and traffic is pretty calm. What are other peoples' opinion on driving from Miami to Fort Lauderdale and then around the city? We plan on driving out to the Sawgrass Mill Mall as well... Thanks in advance!

I usually have a rental car pre-cruise and even spent a week in Miami/Coconut Grove. I loved Miami with the numbered streets/avenues and quadrants (NE/SE/SW/NW). I seem to think they drive a little faster in south Florida in general with all the sporty cars. The main thing is to keep pace with the flow of traffic and most visitors are fine. GPS will help but you need to have a good idea of where you're heading. I liked the Fort Lauderdale area also. I travel often and have a pretty good sense of direction, usually able to quickly find my way around new cities.

Time of day and also day of week is a factor.

Traffic can be a bit intense but just stay in the right lane(s) and you'll be fine.

With the GPS you'll be fine and driving around Fort Lauderdale will be relatively easy.

Keith

We're from MT and no problem driving....our only problem was the toll bridges. Some weren't well marked & we didn't 't see them & went thru, then got a$75 fine when we got home. Come to find out you buy a toll card with your rental car. It would've boon nice. If we were informed of this...

Driving in Miami can be hectic. During non-rush hour, expect traffic to exceed the speed limit by 10-15MPH. Staying in the right lane is a good way to avoid darting traffic. Signaling a lane change is a rare occurrence in Miami. That being said the highways are well marked and a GPS will make it pretty easy to get around. Note that in downtown Miami GPSrs have a hard time getting a lock. Keep the general free map they will give you at the time of rental handy.

Driving to Sawgrass will be a piece of cake. In general Fort Lauderdale area driving is not as hectic as Miami, but do expect high speeds on the highway at non peak times.

Relax, you will be fine. My last accident in daily Miami driving was 15 years ago (knocks on wood).

You won't even have to touch surface roads in Miami. From MIA, it's all highway on the way to Fort Lauderdale. If you're planning on Sawgrass Mills, you'll definitely want a car to get everywhere. Where in Lauderdale are you looking to stay? With a car, you also have options like staying in Plantation (convenient to anywhere via I-595), but potentially less expensive than beach hotels.

I would like to thank EVERYONE for replying! It is greatly appreciated.

To reply Jeffbrig,

We are staying at the Embassy Suites in Fort Lauderdale as of right now but that is just because we are used to staying there. I am looking for other options as well because we truly don't know the area well enough.

Thanks!

I have rented a car in FLL before and didn't have any problem getting around. We used the map more than the GPS as it didn't work all the time! If you have someone to ride shotgun and read the map you will be fine.

Love to have a car as it gives you more freedom. Would suggest taking the water taxi in FLL to see the homes along the route. An inexpensive way to see how some of the other half live!

Okay so I thank EVERYONE over and over for the awesome advice! So my last question is... What rental company do people recommend so I can pick up at Miami Airport and can drop off near the pier in Fort Lauderdale. Thanks!

Okay so I thank EVERYONE over and over for the awesome advice! So my last question is... What rental company do people recommend so I can pick up at Miami Airport and can drop off near the pier in Fort Lauderdale. Thanks!

Others have posted that Dollar is outside the Port and will shuttle you to the cruise terminal. FLL is really pretty close to Port Everglades and other rental companies may have a free shuttle. Even a taxi will be a reasonable option, too. I'd go with whichever rental car was cheaper overall, including your ride to the port after dropping the car.

Just a thought. Having been to the car rental center several times now, I see there is almost always a massive huge line at the big companies. Avis and Alamo have been horrible.

Meanwhile the smaller guys have no one at their desks.

If you don't have a prepaid reservation, maybe shop around the car rental rental center for a deal. Sixt never has a line and Royal rarely has anyone at the counter, but has three agents to assist. There are other small outfits, but I am not familiar with them.

You won't even have to touch surface roads in Miami. From MIA, it's all highway on the way to Fort Lauderdale. If you're planning on Sawgrass Mills, you'll definitely want a car to get everywhere. Where in Lauderdale are you looking to stay? With a car, you also have options like staying in Plantation (convenient to anywhere via I-595), but potentially less expensive than beach hotels.

I agree that it would make sense to stay closer to Sawgrass Mills if you are going there anyway. I went there yesterday from Fort Lauderdale and it took 45 minutes to get there and park. There is a Doubletree (formerly Crowne Plaza) by the mall, and Renaissance, Hyatt Place, and Hampton Inn in Plantation.

Thanks to everyone again. I have finally booked everything. We are going to rent through Dollar in Miami and drop off near the port. We are actually going to drive from Miami Airport right to the Saw Grass Mill Mall to get our shopping done. Then at around 6ish we are going to drive to the Hyatt on 10th in Fort Lauderdale. We are doing all this next Saturday... How bad is traffic that time of day????

We are doing all this next Saturday... How bad is traffic that time of day????

On a Saturday, outside of some calamity, traffic should be non existent.

There's a massive project on the 826/836 interchange. Once you pass that, it should be smooth sailing.

I wish you a terrific stay and a relaxing cruise.

Yogi

Question on the tolls. From Hollywood to the Miami Car Rental, will you hit tolls? I know with Dollar you can get the pass for $8 but is it worth it? I thought I read somewhere that you can buy a pass at stores in FL???

MiamiYogi, Keith1010, RoyalCruz...does this make any sense to you? I dont have any idea what I'm talking :confused:

Question on the tolls. From Hollywood to the Miami Car Rental, will you hit tolls? I know with Dollar you can get the pass for $8 but is it worth it? I thought I read somewhere that you can buy a pass at stores in FL???

MiamiYogi, Keith1010, RoyalCruz...does this make any sense to you? I dont have any idea what I'm talking :confused:

No tolls. You will mainly be on interstate 95 which is not a toll road.

Keith

No tolls. You will mainly be on interstate 95 which is not a toll road.

Keith

I will be going from FLL to Hollywood (LaQuinta) then to the Miami Car Rental Office to drop off the car (and maybe to Hollywood Beach area for shopping, dinner)...so I95 doesn't have any tolls, really? what if I get off the wrong exit?

I just want to make sure since I've read that Florida doesn't have any cash tolls. I don't want to come home to a $75 fine as another poster stated...

I will be going from FLL to Hollywood (LaQuinta) then to the Miami Car Rental Office to drop off the car (and maybe to Hollywood Beach area for shopping, dinner)...so I95 doesn't have any tolls, really? what if I get off the wrong exit?

I just want to make sure since I've read that Florida doesn't have any cash tolls. I don't want to come home to a $75 fine as another poster stated...

Florida does have toll roads but I don't see any where you are going.

Others who live there can confirm this but I'm familiar with these places and am not aware of a toll.

95 is not a toll road.

Keith

Florida does have toll roads but I don't see any where you are going.

Others who live there can confirm this but I'm familiar with these places and am not aware of a toll.

95 is not a toll road.

Keith

Thank you again Keith. I'm glad to hear that. I'm sure Miami Yogi and Royal Cruz can confirm since they are both so helpful like you. :D

Thank you again Keith. I'm glad to hear that. I'm sure Miami Yogi and Royal Cruz can confirm since they are both so helpful like you. :D

Confirmed.

Stay off the Turnpike (although in Broward County it does take cash)

On 95 as you approach Miami-Dade County, the furthest left two lanes become "Express Lanes" it is a cashless variable toll. Stay off of it. Its clearly marked "Express Lanes - Sunpass Only". Its easier to avoid than to actually get on them, you'll be fine.

Confirmed.

Stay off the Turnpike (although in Broward County it does take cash)

On 95 as you approach Miami-Dade County, the furthest left two lanes become "Express Lanes" it is a cashless variable toll. Stay off of it. Its clearly marked "Express Lanes - Sunpass Only". Its easier to avoid than to actually get on them, you'll be fine.

So there are tolls that take cash on 95? I just want to make sure I understand. I can't see paying $8 for a Sunpass through Dollar for a $2 toll.

Thanks MiamiYogi, as always great info. :D

So there are tolls that take cash on 95? I just want to make sure I understand. I can't see paying $8 for a Sunpass through Dollar for a $2 toll.

Thanks MiamiYogi, as always great info. :D

No---- there are NO TOLLS on I-95, other than the Express Lanes I mentioned that are cashless and easy to avoid.

There ARE TOLLS On the TURNPIKE. They take cash from the Miami-Dade County line NORTH. South of the County line the TURNPIKE does not take cash.

Sounding from your routing, there is no reason for you to pay Dollar the fee. Simply stay off the Turnpike and away from the Express Lanes on 95.

I wish you a fantastic cruise.

Saludos,

Yogi

Archived