PLEASE HELP! 1 week in a suite or 2 weeks in a balcony cabin

If you are traveling that far I would agree...go for the two weeks.

You make a good point there. I'm glad none of you are trying to talk him out of cruising at all, I've invested a lot of time getting to know this guy ;)

It is hard trying to make everyone happy. Hopefully you can work this out. Personnaly I would push for the 2 weeks.

Did you say the toilet was in the room? It was not seperated from the sleeping/living area by a door? That is ridiculous, especially in a suite.

You make a good point there. I'm glad none of you are trying to talk him out of cruising at all, I've invested a lot of time getting to know this guy ;)

Dont worry Bill, no matter what we choose this cruise is still on!

It is hard trying to make everyone happy. Hopefully you can work this out. Personnaly I would push for the 2 weeks.

Did you say the toilet was in the room? It was not seperated from the sleeping/living area by a door? That is ridiculous, especially in a suite.

The toilet has like a shower door type thing, that you can actually see through. It is separated from the bed by a curtain lol. Every little noise you can hear! Also, the sink was on the other side of the curtain. So you had to touch so much stuff before washing your hands!

The toilet has like a shower door type thing, that you can actually see through. It is separated from the bed by a curtain lol. Every little noise you can hear! Also, the sink was on the other side of the curtain. So you had to touch so much stuff before washing your hands!

Wow! I would hate to share that cabin with someone who liked to top off big steak dinners with a few pints of Guinness :eek:

I did a cruise on the Epic with two friends. We had an aft balcony that looked just like the picture that was posted and ours wasn't even a suite of any kind! We hated the layout of that room...well, we didn't like the layout of the ship at all. As others have said, I think you will find that the size/layout of the Royal Caribbean ships is so much better that the three of you could easily do a Junior Suite (so you would have a tub) and do the cruise for two weeks. Two weeks would get my vote too!

The bathroom setup was just stupid! We had to go on the balcony while someone else used the toilet because the toilet was IN THE ROOM. We knew this ahead of time and got a great deal on the cruise, that's why we booked it. However, we did not enjoy it due to the weather and the room.

very stressful!

Cannot get past this. When did they build this ship, in the 1800s? Why not just have a poop deck if you are going to be so basic. Wow. Wouldn't this be a shocker to people who had booked it totally online without much checking?

Having been on the Epic, I will agree the room set up is odd. (They curved the room "wave" to try and get more space out of less)

There is lots of talk about them on the NCL boards.

While the "sink" is actually in the room, the toilet and shower are NOT.

They are in a seperate "bathroom" as per normal.

The problem is that the door is frosted glass, and shadows can be seen through.

This can make it uncomfortable for people who are on the shy side.

But having said that I can understand why the OP wants a better room.

I think my vote would also be for the 1 week in the Sky Suite! WOW what a room that would be, the experience alone would be worth it.

But you are never going to get the answer you want because it is a matter of opinion as you already expressed.

I would rather cruise a shorter time in luxury, while many would rather cruise longer in a smaller room. There really is no right or wrong answer.

However I will say this, after the Epic's wave room, ANY cabin on the Oasis from JS up will be luxury.

We have stayed in JS, GS, OS, and will be in a CL.

ANY of these rooms are plenty big enough for 3 people with a good amount of privacy.

I would have to say who ever is paying should have the choice, and if everyone is splitting evenly, take a vote. 2 out of 3 wins. Then don't look back, and enjoy your cruise no matter what.

Let us know what you decide!

The bathroom setup was just stupid! We had to go on the balcony while someone else used the toilet because the toilet was IN THE ROOM. We knew this ahead of time and got a great deal on the cruise,

What?? Are you serious? How would anyone choose this room? Even when I'm sailing alone, I want the toilet in a separate area, with a door. Maybe I'm not understanding, anyone have a floorplan?

What?? Are you serious? How would anyone choose this room? Even when I'm sailing alone, I want the toilet in a separate area, with a door. Maybe I'm not understanding, anyone have a floorplan?

See my post above....

Well I guess that is better than what I had imagined (a toilet right next to the nightstand or something, ha ha) still I don't feel it's necessary for me to see someones shadow sitting on the toilet, just odd.:confused:

Well I guess that is better than what I had imagined (a toilet right next to the nightstand or something, ha ha) still I don't feel it's necessary for me to see someones shadow sitting on the toilet, just odd.:confused:

LOL!!! While I don't think I would prefer this set up in general, I believe it's much better then you are picturing!! :p I have only ever sailed with my husband and even still I would want more privacy then a glass door!!! From what I understand, the shower is in a separate "room" from the "toilet room" and the sink and vanity are physically in the cabin. I would imagine they were thinking that it would be nice to have someone be able to use the shower while another person could use the toilet??? I don't know.....Is till prefer the normal layout that we've had on RC and Carnival.

OP-I agree with others. While a loft suite looks and sounds amazing, I would look into other suite options. A JS would be MUCH better then the room from the Epic (actually, a standard balcony seems better!) but there are even more options then that. Go for the 2 weeks....I so wish we could do that someday......for now it's just one week at a time!

Having been on the Epic, I will agree the room set up is odd. (They curved the room "wave" to try and get more space out of less)

There is lots of talk about them on the NCL boards.

While the "sink" is actually in the room, the toilet and shower are NOT.

They are in a seperate "bathroom" as per normal.

This can make it uncomfortable for people who are on the shy side.

But having said that I can understand why the OP wants a better room.

!

It still sounds so much like bad dreams I occasionally have where I have to use the toilet but it is out in the middle of a shopping mall or something-(yeah I know that my dreams are crazy and I know exactly what is causing my stress.) I don't really think I will be travelling on NCL, but I will watch the rooms closely.

The sky loft suites are very expensive. With that said there are many other suites available. We had four in an Owners suite on the Oasis and it worked just fine. Maybe a better idea would be to have two people in a Junior suite and the third in an adjoining balcony next door. We have tried that one too and it worked out nice, and it was cheaper than an OS. Maybe you could still do two weeks if you booked the Jr Suite/Balcony combination. Good Luck.

Count me in for the 2 weeks as well... as you've said this is probably the last time they'll be the the US and since there's so much to see and do on Oasis/Allure one week would only tease you. I've been on 3 weeks between the 2 ships and ~still~ haven't seen/done what I had on my list! If you're taking in the Oasis/Allure for what they offer - I would spend more time on board than getting the fancy room - there's so much to take in you would never be in the room anyways...

The sky lofts although amazing and different but are priced accordingly! Just randomly checking a date - you could easily do 2 weeks in a Junior Suite and have $$ left over, 3 weeks in a balcony and for a few $$ more 2 weeks in a Grand Suite. Heck you could each have your OWN balcony stateroom for 2 weeks and it be cheaper than 3 in the Sky Suite for one week :eek: LOL

The bonus with doing 2 weeks you'd get to see both the Eastern and Western Caribbean... could cross off the bucket list:

Bahamas

St. Thomas USVI

St. Maartin

Haiti

Jamaica

Mexico

For April 21 & April 28 sailings (in Canadian, rounded to the even # to add in my head ;)):

Sky Loft x 1 week $13000

Grand Suite x 2 weeks $7200 +6650 = $13850

Junior Suite X 2 weeks $5400 + 5300 = $10,700

D Balcony x 2 weeks (3 per room) $3400 + 3450= $6850

D Balcony each with your own room for 2 weeks $2400 x 3 + $2260 x 3 = $13900

If she's adamant about having a full suite (Junior Suites don't have ~all~ the perks) I would drop down to the GS and stay on for 14 days... when you're looking at $13k what's another $850?!?

OR

I would stay on for a month sharing the D balcony for the same $$ lol actually no i'd drop down to an inside and live on board for about 3 months... i'm all for the stay on board as long as possible route too!

Has your mom ever sailed RCI? I haven't been on the Epic, but logic tells me that cruise lines are all different... A bad experience with the beds on NCL doesn't mean she will have a bad experience on RCI! Maybe remind her of this and tell her how awesome the beds in RCI ships are... Then come to a compromise in terms of size and scale of the room.

First, I want to thank you for posting the picture - we had been considering the Epic, but we would also be 3 and I think it would be too uncomfortable. Thanks so much for helping us out! (and thanks also to all the posters with the hilarious comments about the Epic bathrooms :) )

Second, I agree with the others that this does not have to be a choice between 1 week in a Crown Loft or 2 weeks in a balcony. There are many in betweens. We loved the Junior Suite on Liberty of the Seas, but I do believe they are a bit smaller on the Oasis class ships. However, maybe you mom would be able to live with a Grand Suite? Might be a good compromise. Obviously whoever is paying can decide (or if you are all paying for yourselves will need to come to a consensus), but I would say that for 3 in a room the balconies on the Oasis class ships are still a bit snug, and given your last experience I would not recommend it.

I hate to bring this up, but if you do decide that you want to do an extra week of cruising alone, probably the best ship to do that on is the Epic :o They have special single occupancy cabins (studios) and a special lounge for people staying in the studios so that they can meet other passengers traveling alone. It really is a good setup for the solo passenger. You would have the room all to yourself, so no need to worry about the issues from last time! On pretty much every other cruise line you would be charged nearly double the regular rate if you chose to do a single occupancy in a cabin. Just food for thought.

OK, I think some folks missed a few posts . . .

Since you will only be doing one week with your mom & aunt . . . maybe you could get 2 adjoining balcony cabins? You each have a bed, you have 2 bathrooms and you can open up the balconies and make it seem pretty darn large! You may even be able to get a Jr Suite with an adjoining balcony.

Then you could take a pre or post cruise yourself in another balcony or, if money was tight, an inside cabin. Everybody should do "inside" at least once, young man!! It's actually not bad at all!

Cheers!

OK, I think some folks missed a few posts . . .

Since you will only be doing one week with your mom & aunt . . . maybe you could get 2 adjoining balcony cabins? You each have a bed, you have 2 bathrooms and you can open up the balconies and make it seem pretty darn large! You may even be able to get a Jr Suite with an adjoining balcony.

Then you could take a pre or post cruise yourself in another balcony or, if money was tight, an inside cabin. Everybody should do "inside" at least once, young man!! It's actually not bad at all!

Cheers!

This is what we are looking at today!

I showed my mum all these posts and she agrees that 2 weeks would be a really good option. It would be great to cross Jamaica and Cozumel off the bucket list even though they weren't on there!

Now we just need to figure out what to do for the 2 weeks. Should we book a Grand Suite for 1 week and then adjoining balcony rooms the next week?

Also, how would you compare a Junior suite to 2 connecting balcony rooms? It seems the JS is the same price as 2 balcony rooms so which would be better?

Once again, I thank you for all the replies! You guys are so much help

Ok we've decided to do 2 cruises and have booked a connecting Junior Suite and balcony room for both cruises :)

Thanks guys!

Very good move. Two bathrooms, too. That will be a great arrangement for all three of you.

I'm assuming the ladies get the Junior Suite. :)

Gina

Very good move. Two bathrooms, too. That will be a great arrangement for all three of you.

I'm assuming the ladies get the Junior Suite. :)

Gina

Yep that's about right :D We will just rotate every couple of nights if needed!

Excellent choice! You will all have your space and privacy. The junior suites usually have a nicer bathroom and big closet. It will be so nice after your last experience. Heck, just having a door on the bathroom is an improvement! ;-)

Ok we've decided to do 2 cruises and have booked a connecting Junior Suite and balcony room for both cruises :)

Thanks guys!

Great news, I think that is a good decision.

I cant believe I considered the norwegian ship , I would not have been happy with a toilet there, so glad i chose NOS.

Have a great holiday

Archived