Google Maps - offline - on Android phones

Sorry if this isn't the right place to put this, or if it has already been posted, but it just answered a question for me and so I thought it might help others.

When I'm finding my way around unfamiliar places, I occasionally like to use Google Maps on my smartphone. I thought this would be good if I went ashore, to help me find my way around, until I realised I would have my data retrieval turned off so I didn't get a big phone bill. I have just seen an announcement on the Google homepage which might be an answer. The info says:

"Wish you had a map when your device was offline? With offline maps, you can save and use certain maps when you’re not connected to the Internet. If you have GPS on the device, the blue dot will still work without a data connection so you know where you are. Whether you’re traveling the world or underground, offline maps can help you navigate the offline world."

I'm not sure on the protocol about posting links to other sites on here, but if you search for Google Maps Offline, I'm sure you'll find the info you need.

Hope it helps.

FWIW, the map download is easy, and in airplane mode mine worked great, was able to pan and zoom easily. The only drawback is that some areas are not yet available, including many major European cities. I was able to get Paris, but not Rome, Venice, Istanbul or Athens. Hopefully they will be added soon.

Archived