Galveston Third Cruise Terminal?

I read an online news article that said that the Port of Galveston was looking to build a third cruise ship terminal for 2013-2014 Winter Season due to three ships docking in one day.

Does anybody know any further information? Really want to know!!

Isle port mulls 3rd cruise terminal

Published June 24, 2012:

http://galvestondailynews.com/story/324066

Port board OKs design money

Published June 26, 2012

http://galvestondailynews.com/story/324310

Kat

• 2 weeks later...

I still dont understand why they dont use Bayport terminal

IT COST $81million dollars:eek:

Houston....... let them use it for free if need be:rolleyes:

It didn't make sense then!

Why wooldit make sense now.?

Bayport is a VERY EXPENSIVE "... if you build it they will come..." dream that did not come true.

Kat

But it's a longer "drive" for the ship, therefore, using more fuel. Also, the area around Bayport sucks. :D

True........ Have you cruised out of FLL or San Pedro thou :eek:

Isnt there hotels nearby and also Kemah boardwalk

When we cruised out of Nola it was 7-8 hours on the Mississsippi. SO how much longer would it take from Bayport 2 or 3hrs?????

Bayport is a VERY EXPENSIVE "... if you build it they will come..." dream that did not come true.

Kat

Maybe they should have planted some corn around it:D

Im not from here and wasnt around when it was built. But the city should be able to lure a cruise ship.

A Carnival captain on the Ecstasy explained that the extra travel time to and from the Bayport terminal would mean leaving Cozumel (or wherever) an hour earlier to get back, and that the fog problems in Galveston Bay and the ship channel would be much worse than port of Galveston. I notice that Triumph is leaving COZ at 3:00 pm as it is. That wouldn't leave much time for the beach if you had to leave at 2:00.

True........ Have you cruised out of FLL or San Pedro thou :eek:

Isnt there hotels nearby and also Kemah boardwalk

When we cruised out of Nola it was 7-8 hours on the Mississsippi. SO how much longer would it take from Bayport 2 or 3hrs?????

Cruised out of San Pedro several times, never FLL, but the area around San Pedro looks like the Riviera compared to the area around Bayport. The Kemah area is about 5 miles from Bayport and what's at Kemah but Tilman Fertitta's overpriced crap?

Notice that all that's sailing out of NOLA are the oldest ships...figure they can make up the money they spend sailing the distance down the Mississippi at the bar! :p:D:cool:

A Carnival captain on the Ecstasy explained that the extra travel time to and from the Bayport terminal would mean leaving Cozumel (or wherever) an hour earlier to get back, and that the fog problems in Galveston Bay and the ship channel would be much worse than port of Galveston. I notice that Triumph is leaving COZ at 3:00 pm as it is. That wouldn't leave much time for the beach if you had to leave at 2:00.

That makes since but not sure if that is the only reason. When we did the Triumph we were there till 4 and the Magic is in port till 6p some times and 5p other times.

So I think departure from Coz is how many ships are in port.

The Crown Princess will be there till 5pm when she is here

Cruised out of San Pedro several times, never FLL, but the area around San Pedro looks like the Riviera compared to the area around Bayport. The Kemah area is about 5 miles from Bayport and what's at Kemah but Tilman Fertitta's overpriced crap?

Notice that all that's sailing out of NOLA are the oldest ships...figure they can make up the money they spend sailing the distance down the Mississippi at the bar! :p:D:cool:

I havnt been to Kemah yet.... but doesnt Landry's own half of Galveston as well.

You brought up an interesting point about booze. From what Ive read about cruises from Galveston. The TX liqour distributors controls the liqour sales onboard till out of the area and cuts into the cruiseline profits.

Why cant Houston cut a deal between the 2.

I havnt been to Kemah yet.... but doesnt Landry's own half of Galveston as well.

You brought up an interesting point about booze. From what Ive read about cruises from Galveston. The TX liqour distributors controls the liqour sales onboard till out of the area and cuts into the cruiseline profits.

Why cant Houston cut a deal between the 2.

Landry's probably owns about 10% of the hotel and restaurant business in Galveston. Of course, there's always the new "Pleasure Pier". Let's hope he doesn't ever really own half of the island! :eek:

Liquor laws in Texas are controlled by the state legislature and the Galveston/Houston area can't determine what happens without a lot of help from legislators from other parts of the state. :)

• 2 weeks later...
But it's a longer "drive" for the ship, therefore, using more fuel. Also, the area around Bayport sucks. :D

You would think these guys would consider all these things before the spent all that money!

• 2 weeks later...

we sailed on NCL Sea when she was in Houston Bayport and the ride to the OpenSeas was not a big deal. I wished the could open up the Houston termianl but me thinks it's political. A termianl on Pelican Island in Galveston would be nice but to get the infrastructure there to meet the demands will be quite a challange.

Archived