Dawn Deluxe Owners Suite is Hot…literally!

jvsnana

Quote:

Originally Posted by lotsofkids

Quick question.... did you find your master bedroom got too hot with all the sun entering the windows?

I booked the DOS beside yours (12002 one bedrm) on the Dawn for a Sept Bermuda sailing which has even MORE windows!

It did seem to some that they had to close the curtains to cool down the room (shame to lose the view). Curious about your take on this. TKS.

Oh and glad you took the upsell....that was a great price. Unfortunately...I really wanted this room and I am a coward to risk losing it..so I have plunked down some serious $. Figure, if the prices come down (assuming the others remain unsold) then I will ask for some consideration in maybe some spa treatments, restaurant vouchers etc...

meanwhile....glad to hear you had an awesome trip!

smiles, Diane

We were in 12002 on this same cruise with 2boyzmom and I can confirm that this DOS was HOT HOT HOT!

We had a thermometer on our travel clock and the room was a constant 85 degrees

We informed the Concierge about the issue and the maintenance guy said they fixed the problem, NOT.

We contacted the Hotel Director and he sent someone else up to the cabin. My DH had to "force" the maintenance guy to open the air ducts manually…it helped some…the room would get down to 72 degrees.

We invited the Concierge and Hotel Director up to the cabin to see for themselves how hot it was and it was interesting to see them actually sweating during the visit.

We were told it was a design flaw when they converted the rooms from the old Spinnaker Lounge. It was a known problem prior to our booking. The HD said they did all they could do, apologized and said there was nothing else he could do, as the ship was full and no other cabins were available to move us. He sent up a fan for the bedroom. He also said he would inform corporate, but we have never heard back for any compensation he inferred.

The only way we would book this room again would be on a cold climate cruise.

To pay the extra $$ for the wonderful view and then have to keep the drapes closed is WRONG!

We are loyal NCL cruisers, as you can see by my signature, and we will continue to cruise exclusively with NCL, but NOT in another DOS in the converted Spinnaker Lounge

*Adding a side note, that several of the large front windows were cracked and fogged so the view was impaired which added to the insult of a high priced DOS.

I have that same cabin booked for an Oct.2012 Canada to Boston cruise. The foliage from the change of seasons should be awesome. Do you think that the heat will be to much even in Oct. ?

I would think the cabin would be much cooler for your cruise. The view is so wonderful (besides the fogged windows). Here is the view from the king sized bed…

P4080316.jpg

Remember, there is no balcony or any windows to open to cool the cabin.

We have an aft balcony booked on the Dawn for Sept. 2013 Canada/New England…I really enjoy having a balcony to hang out on.

We had 12002 on the Star to Alaska last August. While we were plenty cool it was because there wasn't a ton of sun and on the one really sunny day, it did have a hard time keeping cool so we had to shut the drapes. Plus the outside temperature never really cracked much above 70. IIRC there are three thermostats in that room but I was guessing these rooms in the warmer climates would be hot.

We also had one fully fogged window in the living room and one partially fogged. The butler said something on his own about maintenance fixing it but I saw a posting months later who mentioned same problem so the problems seem pretty similar between Dawn and Star. Last month on the Dawn as we walked back to the ship we noted all those rooms had their drapes pulled.

The upside is in a cooler climate these rooms are very nice and have excellent views (although no balcony - but we didn't miss that in Alaska).

So for the poster going in October, I probably wouldn't worry about it too much.

We had 12002 on the STAR for the repositioning cruise this past April...and we didn't find it overly hot, and no foggy windows. There were 3 AC control units in the suite (1 in the bedroom, 1 in the open area, and another in the bathroom)....and you can put it on quick cool to cool the area down quickly if needed. :)

I'm in a Deluxe Owners Suite and it is too warm .... Waaaaah !

Maybe it is the 3 bottles of whiskey that came with the suite ;)

How many of us would trade in a heartbeat ;)

Ok this opportunity was just too good to pass up.

Disclaimer: Forgive my sarcasim

We had 12002 on the STAR for the repositioning cruise this past April...and we didn't find it overly hot, and no foggy windows. There were 3 AC control units in the suite (1 in the bedroom, 1 in the open area, and another in the bathroom)....and you can put it on quick cool to cool the area down quickly if needed. :)

Unfortunately, the quick cool never worked:(

Glad to hear the Star had no fogged windows…let's hope they fix the ones on the Dawn:)

I don't see the problem. 72 degrees is very cool, actually cold. Of course we live in Arizona and keep our house at 78 degrees.

85 degrees was the average and it did not get down to 72 until after the "fix" and that was only in the early morning after running the air all night.

I'm in a Deluxe Owners Suite and it is too warm .... Waaaaah !

Maybe it is the 3 bottles of whiskey that came with the suite ;)

How many of us would trade in a heartbeat ;)

Ok this opportunity was just too good to pass up.

Disclaimer: Forgive my sarcasim

Forgiven:)

As to the 3 bottles of liquor, we don't drink, so traded them in for a dinner at Cagney's:p

I'm just giving info to someone who is unaware that the DOS has no balcony or windows to open. So if you don't mind paying lots of $$$ for a potential wonderful view, yet have to close the drapes to keep cool, then this suite might not be the best choice.

Would I trade for it in a heartbeat?…like I said in my OP, only in a colder climate cruise:p:p

Great view! But I think I would pass on it if it gets that hot. Also I like a balcony. Back to the Owners Suite with two Balcony's! Great Cabin.:)

Two balconies, beautiful wood and glass sliding doors, great inside space AND three thermostats!

(there are four thermostats in the OS on Epic.)

We invited the Concierge and Hotel Director up to the cabin to see for themselves how hot it was and it was interesting to see them actually sweating during the visit.

Sorry you did not enjoy your DOS.

But I would like to commend you for the way you dealt with the issue and the above paragraph was very smart thinking, hopefully that will get someone to actually once and for all see that it is fixed permanently.

But I would like to commend you for the way you dealt with the issue and the above paragraph was very smart thinking, hopefully that will get someone to actually once and for all see that it is fixed permanently.

To say we did not enjoy the DOS would be a fib…the cabin was very large and clean. The location for coming into and out of the ports was great for the views, the bathroom was wonderful, the king sized bed was heaven and our Butler was one of the best!

It was just so disappointing that we had to keep the heavy drapes closed all of the time or we would bake. We like to spend a lot time in our suite, but we felt forced out to get cool. It was funny that the hallway was cooler than our room:p

So this is just a heads up for anyone wanting info on our experience in 12002 on the Dawn.

To say we did not enjoy the DOS would be a fib…the cabin was very large and clean. The location for coming into and out of the ports was great for the views, the bathroom was wonderful, the king sized bed was heaven and our Butler was one of the best!

It was just so disappointing that we had to keep the heavy drapes closed all of the time or we would bake. We like to spend a lot time in our suite, but we felt forced out to get cool. It was funny that the hallway was cooler than our room:p

So this is just a heads up for anyone wanting info on our experience in 12002 on the Dawn.

Perfect, thanks for the follow up.

I wonder if a nice letter or email to Mr. Sheehan would have this issue finally resolved. He seems to take a personal interest in fixing problems like this. Especially since this appears to have affected more than a few passengers.

I wonder if a nice letter or email to Mr. Sheehan would have this issue finally resolved. He seems to take a personal interest in fixing problems like this. Especially since this appears to have affected more than a few passengers.

Email already sent:p

Still no reply:(

We were on the Dawn in 12002 last month and had a similar problem. We simply kept the shades closed in the bedroom and the living room when it was very sunny out. Once things got cloudy or when the sun went down, it wasn't much of an issue as we weren't in the suite all day long.

Archived