Nassau, do I need to book?

dustanltye

LOL! Are there people at the pier selling trips?

You have to run the gauntlet of vendors to get away from the port building. :p

I haven't done an excursion in Nassau since my first couple of stops and those were ship excursions back then (because I just didn't know better).

I believe there's also a counter in the building where you can get info. I'm just not a "wing-it" type of person. If I'm going to do an excursion, I find one to book ahead of time.

scubagirl has given links to excursion operators in several threads (if you're interested in snorkeling, etc.) I've also looked at the choices available through Island Marketing. Only thing with them is that they require a deposit. If it's pouring rain when the ship docks, and I simply decide to not go, I'm out the deposit, so I'm not too keen on that.

Some tours will be available when you get in, but others will not.

If you are not choosey, then you can wait til the last minute.

Some, like Powerboat adventures, dolphin encounters and blue lagoon, book up months in advance, and others operate from marina on paradise island or elsewhere.

You should do your homework and check out what you are interested in doing.

Here's some links.

www.seahorsesailingadventures.com

www.flyingcloud.info

www.dolphinencounters.com

www.stuartcove.com

www.blueholewatersports.com

www.sandytoesroseisland.com

www.boozecruisebahamas.com

Most of these are NOT available at the dock.

www.majestictoursbahamas.com

Some tours will be available when you get in, but others will not.

If you are not choosey, then you can wait til the last minute.

Some, like Powerboat adventures, dolphin encounters and blue lagoon, book up months in advance, and others operate from marina on paradise island or elsewhere.

You should do your homework and check out what you are interested in doing.

Here's some links.

www.seahorsesailingadventures.com

www.flyingcloud.info

www.dolphinencounters.com

www.stuartcove.com

www.blueholewatersports.com

www.sandytoesroseisland.com

www.boozecruisebahamas.com

Most of these are NOT available at the dock.

www.majestictoursbahamas.com

Thanks so much Scubagirl for the info. What are you opinions about blue lagoon island...any good snorkeling?

Thanks so much Scubagirl for the info. What are you opinions about blue lagoon island...any good snorkeling?

I love blue lagoon island.. but have never tried snorkeling there. I haven't heard that it's that good.. if your just looking to check out some underwater scenery.. this is the place.. but I don't think you'll find a reef with live coral or anything close to that.

For coral heads and diversity in sea life.. you'll do better with a boat tour to one of the reefs or sea gardens.

Blue Lagoon is gorgeous.. and a shallow pristine lagoon.. a fav in my book. I'm taking the family there in a few weeks.. can't wait to get back.

Blue lagoon is one of those tours that books up quickly. If you are thinking of going.. book it.

Ummm you will be SWARMED with vendors and cab drivers when you get to Nassau, as many have mentioned.

My last visit I took the water taxi to Paradise Island(water taxis are right in front of Snr. Frog's) and then caught a cab(REMEMBER: EVERYTHIN'G NEGOTIABLE, MON!) TO CABBAGE BEACH. It's absolutely gorgeous. White sand, clear water, tons of water sports that you can do(again prices are *negotiable*). So instead of booking ahead of time or thru Atlantis, I got a water taxi and then a real taxi, spent the day on beautiful Cabbage Beach, rented a Sea Doo and spent approx. $25. And before that we went to the fort, walked around, went to Junkaroo(sp?) beach and had some drinks.... there's so much to do and if you can haggle the prices, it'll save you hundreds of dollars.

Happy Planning and smooth sailing!

Archived