Best Private Guide for Vatican Museum

2Fltravelers

I know I've seen this information before but just can't find it. Does anyone have suggestions for a private guide for the Vatican Museum? We are fairly independent travelers and have been to the museum before and the Sistine Chapel but raced through and would like to see it this time with a guide that has an art background and can provide a more in-depth experience and avoid the lines.We will be in Rome for 5 days in late November and have a Scavi tour at 9:30Am on the Saturday morning. We are trying to figure out if we should do the museum that afternoon or pick another afternoon. Any suggestions?

I can highly recommend Context Travel. They offer small group tours (no more than 6 people, I believe) or private tours and the level of knowledge and information provided by their guides (or as they call them, docents) is head and shoulders above most other guides I have experienced in many trips to Rome. They have several different options for tours of the Vatican museum, including "Arte Vaticana" (emphasis on art) and an after-hours tour.

http://www.contexttravel.com/city/rome

Since you are going to be in Rome for several days, I would also recommend Context's tours of ancient Rome; I've taken several and they are excellent. "Roma Antica" was a particular favorite of mine.

I can highly recommend Context Travel. They offer small group tours (no more than 6 people, I believe) or private tours and the level of knowledge and information provided by their guides (or as they call them, docents) is head and shoulders above most other guides I have experienced in many trips to Rome. They have several different options for tours of the Vatican museum, including "Arte Vaticana" (emphasis on art) and an after-hours tour.

http://www.contexttravel.com/city/rome

Since you are going to be in Rome for several days, I would also recommend Context's tours of ancient Rome; I've taken several and they are excellent. "Roma Antica" was a particular favorite of mine.

Thank you for the info. I have heard of Context and thought about contacting them. BTW, I enjoy all of your informative posts on Rome and have made notes on many of your recommended sights.

We did a three hour private tour with Raefella who is associated with Rome Cabs. She was wonderful and so full of knowledge. I had no idea about the things she taught us- like the tapestry hall with the people who move with you. I was like a little kid walking back up and down the hall watching it. Never would I have picked up on that. She pointed out how on the Piata Mary looks younger than Jesus and the different political and religious faces that Michealangelo painted on the chapel ceiling as a protest to the way he was treated. It was fascinating!

Also look at Through Eternity tours their group tours are a very limited number (we had 5) and for $34 euro each a very knowledgeable guide took us on a 5 hour tour (extended to 7 with breaks) that we found exceptional.

We avoided crowds and learnt so much. They also do private tours and made to order tours of Rome.

I second Context. I have taken two Vatican tours with Context and both were terrific. Their docents had Phds and were doing research at the Vatican Library. They had intimate knowledge of the Vatican Museum and St. Peter's a large group guide might lack.

Both guides made for a special experience, especially since your time is limited. The second Vatican Context tour was last year at night. It was very unusual to be able to see the museum and frescoes lit by candlelight, to have a well informed guide pointing out interesting things on paintings which were illuminated differently at night.

Most importantly, a licensed guide allows you to jump to the front of the line and gain priority entrance to the Museum. Otherwise, the que snakes around the block along the walls quite a ways.

We used Through Eternity last month (Cinzia was our guide) and loved them!! We booked the 5 hour early early entrance Sistine Chapel and Vatican tour. It was absolutely worth the $$$ because we spent 1 hour in the Sistine Chapel with only about 10 other people. We sat on the benches and got to hear our guide talk all about it. It was a very comfortable and peacful experience. When we walked back through later (to get to another part of the museum) it was a madhouse and a completely different experience!!!

The rest of our tour was spent in the Vatican Museum and St. Peter's. I was originally nervous about the 5 hour tour being WAY too much but it was perfect because there is SO much to see and appreciate...even for people who don't normally spend a lot of time in museums! :)

Archived