Alaskan Cruise MDR: What to wear?

I've planned on slacks and nice tops for each night other than Formal Night (a dress for formal night). Now I've seen posts stating that people sometimes get away with shorts in the MDR? What is average for the MDR, I'm now worrying that I'll be over dressed.

First of all, dress code threads seem to get heated. I'm sure this one will as well. Additionally, it's one of the many topics where repeat threads are found daily - if you search, you will find the info you are looking for. This has been discussed, literally, hundreds of times. :)

What you have planned sounds fine, not to worry. Shorts are not permitted in the MDR at dinner (breakfast and lunch are fine). Many people feel entitled to wear what they want to wear on their vacation; there's no other way to say it. The signs and printed Cruise Compass ask shorts not be worn to dinner, and we comply.

Thanks for the response. I'm not trying to start a heated thread nor am I planning to wear shorts, I'm just trying to find out if I should expect most of the dining room to be in jeans or slacks in the evenings. What has everyones experiences been lately?

I know as a fact that people wear what they want. It has been 8 years since I have cruised (another cruise line) and I can tell you things have changed. On formal night, I saw someone in jeans, yes jeans and they were not turned away. I also saw men in shorts on casual nights. That was a no no. I dress by the rules, but a lot don't as I have noticed on my last cruise. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the response. I'm not trying to start a heated thread nor am I planning to wear shorts, I'm just trying to find out if I should expect most of the dining room to be in jeans or slacks in the evenings. What has everyones experiences been lately?

On my Alaskan cruise, this would have been perfectly fine. This is exactly the type of attire I wore. I found that Alaska cruising was more formal overall than Bahama cruising though.

We just came off the Golden Princess to Alaska. Formal nights were still formal-cocktail dress, nice slacks with a fancy top, gowns. The casual nights were very casual (even jeans) because just coming from a tour and not much time to shower and dress, plus the chill in the air on deck. Also, keep in mind about the 50# limit for airlines-jackets, etc add the weight. You can buy a great fleece jacket w/ rain repellant at most stores in AK for $20- We paid the $35 on Delta to take an extra suitcase, which is better than paying the overweight prices.

Have a great time!!!

The suggested dress code is in the cruise brochure, along with lots of other, helpful info.

Aside from breakfast and lunch, shorts shouldn't be worn in the dining room....they request that no shorts be worn. Jeans are fine, as they are simply denim pants.

Archived