Items You Regret Packing/Not Packing?

CosmoLover

Didn't need 7 pairs of shoes - next time I will cut back to 4 at the most.

Glad I had an extension cord. Plug under desk is just inconvenient.

Also, I had so much jewelry I didn't wear, will definitely cut back next time.

Biggest mistake, lap top. Though we'd take so many pictures we'd need to down load to lap top. Both DH with his iPhone and my camera each took over 400 pictures and never needed to down load. Big mistake!

I always bring a pop up laundry container. It folds completely flat in my suitcase, but is very handy to put in the corner of the room for dirty clothes. We can put our suitcases under the bed, so they will be out of the way. At the end of the cruise, dirty clothes all get put in our suitcase and the laundry container is folded flat again.

I am only going on my second cruise in the Eastern Med, but I am definitely going to pack *way* lighter this time. When I went on my first cruise, I read all the lists and was *way* overpacked.

I couldn't figure out how we had been on a two week land Spain trip and both of us had managed to travel carry on only. But yet when we went on a 5 day Caribbean cruise we somehow had to check baggage. Part of it was my bf's suit and dress shoes etc., so just going to rent a tux this time. But a lot of it was stuff that people had listed here too.

The only thing that I think I had in common between our Spain land trip and last Caribbean cruise was a small med kit with a small amount of a wide variety of meds/and minor first aid treatments. Used that both places. And a very lightweight travel glow alarm clock.

So when going on our next summer Med cruise definitely going to pack more like our Spain trip than our last cruise. Light and easy. Definitely not bringing any over the door hanging bag, bungee cords, air freshener, etc.

I regret not bringing a big enough suit case and/or packing too many clothes. I had NO room for my souvenirs on my first cruise. Now I'm the proud owner of a 29" suit case. I would only have to bring 1 pair of shoes and 1 pair of flip flops if everyone didn't insist that one must dress nicely in the MDR. I cridge when I am packing shoes because to me it is wasted space but I want to be "presentable." :cool:

After the temple on a pair of prescription glasses broke, and we couldn't get repaired, have always tried to remember extra glasses. Even an old pair will do in an emergency! Much better than going without, or trying to fix with tape, etc., and ending up with a headache, or not being able to read the menu.

I have the packing items sorted now thanks to my great packing app. When I am on a cruise and I realise something was not worth bringing I can just edit my app cruise packing list for next time. Same with items that I wished I had packed.

Check it out in the app store. It is called Packing Pro. I think three is a free version but I liked it so much that I bought the full app.

I now have great lists for every type of cruise based on cruise length and destinations.

Love it!!!!!!

Definitely pack wire hangars - never enough in the closet and we can leave the hangars behind when we leave. .

Did you try asking the cabin steward for more hangers? They will be happy to give them to you,

DON

On our last Alaskan trip I packed 2 fleece jackets, 2 hoodies and 2 outer jackets. Even though it was in the 50's, we never wore more than 2 outside layers.

I regret not packing extra batteries for my camera.

I always pack a small can of room deodorizer for the bathroom. The reason should be obvious :0)

I regret packing:

-My ihome-I thought it would great for music/the clock, but I can't actually read the clock without glasses and I only used it for music once/twice (listened to the piped in music or had the tv on.)

-Too many shoes for evening! Sticking to 2 this time as opposed to one per night...

I always pack (as a result of regretting to pack):

-A small clock for the room (takes up no space and I can actually see it!)

-A night light

-A laundry bag (makes unpacking when I return so easy)

I have the packing items sorted now thanks to my great packing app. When I am on a cruise and I realise something was not worth bringing I can just edit my app cruise packing list for next time. Same with items that I wished I had packed.

Check it out in the app store. It is called Packing Pro. I think three is a free version but I liked it so much that I bought the full app.

I now have great lists for every type of cruise based on cruise length and destinations.

Love it!!!!!!

I definitely agree. That app has been a lifesaver for me and I also downloaded the full version. I update it whenever I adjust the paper copy of my packing list.

I pack everything just in case or so I thought. This cruise DD and I had a loose button, so DD goes down to buy a little sewing kit. Guess I need to put that on my list for the future.. :rolleyes:

Funny enough that is in my small first aid/med kit that I would bring on all trips! Needle and thread ... good for emergency stitches, camping, cruising, etc!

Regret packing: Stroller, takes up a lot of space and is rarely used. All kinds of electronics; big camera, video camera, big laptop, smaller laptop for kids to watch movies on, etc. Lots of clothes/shoes, I like taking just one pair of all-around shoes (though if all I have are sneakers...they'll do in a pinch). Actually clothes is the main thing. We'd come back with clean shorts/jeans/shirts, dresses and suits that were only worn once, etc.

Regret not packing: Stroller, comes in really handy when both kids want you to carry them (yeah I know...have a bit of a love/hate relationship with the bulky stroller). Laptop (left it at home once and brought a portable drive to dump pictures onto...it worked ok, but there's times when a laptop is kinda needed; I compromise now and bring a netbook). Ooh, wife lost a contact once and didn't have a backup and didn't have her glasses...wasted a whole day trying to get something called in to the local Wal-Mart (this was a land-based vacation...if it'd been on a cruise...ugh). So gotta bring some kind of backup. And sunscreen...had to return early from scootering around St. Lucia because, surprise surprise, I was getting sunburned. Stupid, stupid, stupid.

Duct tape can fix lots of things and is pretty universal...sometimes I bring it just in case. Always bring some kind of extension cord or power strip, charger for the camera, and just one charger for our small electronics (kindles and phones use the same charger, so I just pack one). Oh, and of course I always bring a travel folder with the essentials. Print-outs for the trip (hotel confirmation, cruise confirmation, etc.), passports, and birth certificates. If these are lost, I have email copies of the passports (and maybe the birth certificates, I should check), so we'll probably be ok. Before we leave, I make absolutely sure we have that folder and the passports are inside (as in...we get in the car, I do a visual check of the folder's contents, then I can pull out of the driveway). If anything else gets left behind, it won't be the end of the world.

Always take a bathroom air freshener :D

also I take deodorised nappy (diaper) bags as there is no liner in the bathroom trash bin - so everything goes into the bag (tissues, cotton wool etc) - just think it's nicer for the cabin steward.

Other than items already mentioned, I bring a large manilla envelope to store copies of the compass and other material I might use when scrapbooking. I also write a brief daily journal on the front of the envelope to help remind us what we did in each port.

To save on shoes, I try to pack clothes in the same color - either black or brown - so I can wear the same shoes day or night an only bring one color.

I regret packing too many shorts and tops. Depending on how many sea days and what you do in port, I wear my bathing suit and can reuse my daytime clothes.

Barb

Funny enough that is in my small first aid/med kit that I would bring on all trips! Needle and thread ... good for emergency stitches, camping, cruising, etc!

We have one of those too. It has the sewing kit in it too. It also include eyeglass repair kit (small screws and tiny screwdriver, etc.) as my DS lost a lens when swimming in the ocean in Bermuda. Luckily it was located (5' of water) but we had to find a store that sold the kit to fix it and have carried it since. ;)

I take it on cruises and land vacations. The only thing about that kit is that it is so automatic to pack that I have to remember to check the expiration dates on the meds in there. :o

Things I have learned to always pack:

Everything we use on a daily basis to get ready...as in toiletries, never count on products being available. The worst is heavily scented shampoos for me, I can smell it all day and it gives me a headache. Always take my own blow dryer.

A small first aid kit, just a sampling of typical OTC meds and a few bandaids. Too many vacation hours are wasted if all you need is an antibiotic cream and a bandaid, or cold medication, or an antacid.

A good camera with plenty of memory cards and batteries. Charge cords for other electronics (Kindle, Ipod touch). One cell phone, turned off, for emergency use only.

Just enough clothing for the trip and no more, I dislike sorting clean from dirty at the end of the trip, I want it all used and dirty.

Ziploc baggies for wet or smelly clothing when you are repacking.

What I stopped packing, or have never packed:

A water wallet, I think I threw it away after several years just sitting in the suitcase. Water shoes, same as the water wallet. Over the door shoe holder, only necessary if you have 3 or more people in the cabin it's really not necessary, there is plenty of storage in the cabin. I think ours is in an old suitcase somewhere in the garage. Highlighter pen, never took it out of the suitcase, forgot I packed it the first time so I realized it was not needed and never packed it again. Never have taken extra cups or duct tape, never needed. Extra hangers, the cabin steward can get you more. I've never taken post it notes, but have used the pad of notepaper and pen supplied in the drawer. Never have taken a pop up hamper. Never taken an extra suitcase for souvenirs.

Too many shoes, they take up so much suitcase space. I have dozens of pairs of shoes at home and I love them. Just like I have too many clothes and it's hard to pare down when traveling. But I got over the "having choices" thing years ago before airlines started charging and weighing luggage. It's so much more pleasant and easy to pack lighter.

We all have to customize lists for ourselves. What works well for us may be a disaster for the next person. For the women (or men) who think they can't go on with life without numerous clothing choices would be punishment. For the person who imagines every little scenario of "what-if's" not having duct tape would stress them out too much. But I do think new cruisers take some items on the list as must haves. I've stated before I wish I had read prior to our first cruise that some of the stuff is just not a necessity. I erroneously thought that people who had cruised before had special wisdom an their guidance would save us from catastrophe.

Some of these packing lists do look good for a camping trip away from society, though ;)

I take 5 ziplock quart bags that have everything from the medicine cabinet -- in fact it is my medicine cabinet when home. The bags are labeled Stomach, Cold/flu, bandages, Skin, (coffee, and add laundry bag.) The idea is to get through one or 2 days until can get to store or Dr. The contents are what we use and like. The whole set of bags are checked against the list on the front of the each bag before we leave and once a year I go through and replace anything out of date. All overnight trips the bags go -- no thought and nothing left behind. When I use something, I replace it next occasion. Scissors and tape and themometer are in the bags. Each trip I consider if THAT trip needs something special (more sunscreen/strong bug repellant/ rehydration packets).

My Dr. also allows me to carry Z-packs and RX cough suppressant and pain pills and strong antihistamine should I need them. I don't use these at home without seeing Dr. but away they are very handy.

When we are home these bags sit in a plastic container in the closet and are our medicine cabinet. I am the go to girl with these bags as almost every item was needed on some trip. If you would like the lists of what I carry, let me know and I will send to you.

regret packing- a popup hamper, now we just use a plastic bag

Always pack the first aid kit, it has all of our JIC items. The only trip I didn't bring it on was to NYC. Did bring the top three meds and bandaids though.

I take it on cruises and land vacations. The only thing about that kit is that it is so automatic to pack that I have to remember to check the expiration dates on the meds in there. :o

For sure! I put new meds in the kit every time I go on the trip (land or sea).

Archived