Souvenirs.....What was I thinkin'?

I look for local artists and craftspeople whenever I get the chance. We have a large collection of rum (husband) which is still stored in our closet. We use that as trade goods when we get home. I stopped my husband from buying a giant ceramic pineapple in Cozumel (about 3 ft high). But he made up for that by buying a 5 foot wall totem/plaque in Labadee (he had his eye on the 8 footers). As we were reboarding the ship, other passengers thought we were crazy. "how are you going to get it home?" "We are driving not flying." We named him George. The porter helping us to our car on return thought that was hilarious.

The nail polish from Del Sol was fun! However, when we got home to Indiana, we didn't have quite the brilliant sunshine to make my nails turn the other color.

Worst buy for me was somewhere in the hot carribbean. There was a lady with an ice cooler selling neck wraps that were so cold and refreshing. I think I bought 3 of them at 20 dollars each. I never used them. I think I gave one away.

We usually look for a children's book by a local author. Plus a magnet and a large drink cup or coffee cup from somewhere. I still love my RCCL soft drink cups. Also sometimes a Christmas ornament if I can find something really unique.

This time, I'm getting one of those around-the-neck pillows at the airport. Every trip I look at them and then walk away. Wish I'd had it for the long car ride today.

Also on another cruise I bought 2 bottles of Sheridan coffee liquor that you can't find where I live. A year and a half later, one bottle was opened and expired in my fridge and I still have an unopened bottle in the liquor cabinet. It tasted great at the tasting but soon got sick of it once I got home.

We LOVE that Sheridan's! We buy 2 each cruise. My parents have a lake house nearby that is a hub of activity for the entire family. We generally "donate" a bottle for the holiday weekends and it does not go to waste. Although, while I say that, I an staring at the other of the two bottles we bought in February. I think I should crack it open and add some to my coffee this morning--except I HAVE to finish laundry and packing for my cruise later this week (where I will undoubtedly buy 2 more bottles!). We also will be going in November so that will be 4 bottles! We do plan on giving a couple bottles as Christmas Gifts to a few friends who have very extensive bars in their homes--but no Sheridan's!

I also buy Hard Rock Cafe shirts from everywhere and have about 20 now, most of them I never and will never wear. Not sure why I keep doing it. I tell the husband the grand kids will love them one day.

One of my family members loves making T-Shirt quilts. I have always thought about gathering up my various vacation T-Shirts from the years (especially since they don't fit anymore) and sending her way to make me a quilt. It would be cool to snuggle up with a quilt made out of those memories! I think it would be perfect "squares" on a quilt to use the Hard Rock T-Shirts!

I have loved reading this thread! We have bought so many of the souvenirs mentioned - now stick to a Christmas ornament for sure - every year when I decorate the tree - we relive the memories - we call it our memory tree!

On cruises years ago they had the tacky charm bracelet - where you get a card stamped if you visit Diamonds international or some place, and you get a charm from each port. I have a couple of them, and love adding to them - even if they are duplicates. I call them my cruise jewels and wear them every formal night on the cruises!!

I too have a conch shell we got in Roatan - it sits on the back of my toilet and I love it there!

Hubby usually gets a nice t-shirt from each port and we collect a mask for one of my grandsons - he has quite a collection now and he's 19 - not sure what he will ever end up doing with them!

Keep the ideas coming!

Terry

On our latest trips to the Caribbean my husband has been buying bottles of scotch. I buy magnets for my mother and usually a Christmas ornament for myself. I also collect armadillos so I have bought stuffed armadillos, wooden armadillos and armadillo t-shirts.

On our latest trips to the Caribbean my husband has been buying bottles of scotch. I buy magnets for my mother and usually a Christmas ornament for myself. I also collect armadillos so I have bought stuffed armadillos, wooden armadillos and armadillo t-shirts.

You live in Massachusetts, and collect armadillos? That's......different. :D:):D

Although, I think they are really interesting animals, I think of them more as a Texas or Arkansas thing. <jk> :D

We are very careful about dopey purchases when we cruise, especially after multiple trips to Walt Disney World, where we've learned our lesson....you haven't lived until you come home with a very expensive sweater with a gold Minnie Mouse emblem over the left breast. What was I thinking?

teddie

This Thread is Hysterical!! I too fell for the Del sol. I dont regret them though. I live in New england, and there really isnt anything quite like color changing keychains and such nots.

In bermuda, I bought a local artists painting of a cat. I think it was like 20 bucks. I still love it. It looks just like my cat. At the same art store in Bermuda, I bought the most ugliest bookmark of some "god" I could find. It had Pipecleaner and glitter. It turned out, the god was a popular icon in Bermuda. The gift was suppose to be a gag gift, and it worked perfectly. I actually bought a few ornaments as xmas gifts in Bermuda. I try to get things for people, and I try to get useful things rather vacation theme things. I find myself buying clothes in Outlet stores. I can wear them year round, and always remember my trip. My FAV purchase was in Puerto Rico. It was A counterfit Coach bag for 10 bucks. I still have it and love it. I love the brand, and everytime I use it, I remember my trip.

I Actually have "didnt buy" remorse. I forget which island it was, but many of the people on my ship I saw wearing these very realistic fake flowers in their hair. My friend even bought one in a gift shop. I figured I would pick one up later. Never seen the Flower anywhere else. I wanted one soooo bad.

You live in Massachusetts, and collect armadillos? That's......different. :D:):D

Although, I think they are really interesting animals, I think of them more as a Texas or Arkansas thing. <jk> :D

When my sister moved to Texas I suggested she could send me Armadillos for presents. That started it all. Twenty five years later I have quite a collection.

While in Jamaica many years ago, people were buying carved mahogany statues. When we got on the plane, the hostess told them that once they left the humidity of Jamaica, they would dry out and crack thus falling apart. My ex bought an owl made out of a tree trunk that had an ashtray on its head. That damn thing never cracked. I have no idea where it is, my husband is now my ex (the owl was the beginning) and I no longer smoke! LOL!

I always buy a Christmas ornament

While in Jamaica many years ago, people were buying carved mahogany statues. When we got on the plane, the hostess told them that once they left the humidity of Jamaica, they would dry out and crack thus falling apart. My ex bought an owl made out of a tree trunk that had an ashtray on its head. That damn thing never cracked. I have no idea where it is, my husband is now my ex (the owl was the beginning) and I no longer smoke! LOL!

I always buy a Christmas ornament

Someone told me not to buy wooden statues from Haiti because they are full of cockroach eggs. I don't know how true that is, has any one else heard this?

Someone told me not to buy wooden statues from Haiti because they are full of cockroach eggs. I don't know how true that is, has any one else heard this?

Not usually cockroach eggs. Cockroach egg cases are pretty large (1/2-3/4 inch) so you would see them.

A more pervasive problem with wood (sculptures or statues) from other countries are wood boring beetles....which you definitely do not want in your house.

I buy frig magnets and unique local jewelry. In 2004 we were in a liquor store in Grand Cayman and they had a very uniquely decorated bottle of rum. It was molded, had elevated designs and painted very bright colors. We paid for it and it was delivered to the ship and of course we didn't get it until the last night of the cruise. I didn't open the box until we got home. You got it, the bottle I received had flat labels with designs that looked similar to the special bottle in the store. Talk about bait & switch. So we were in Grand Cayman in 2011 and we went back into the same liquor store and they had the uniquely decorated bottle of rum for sale. I took the display bottle up to the counter to purchase it. They told me they would have a new bottle delivered to the ship in a box for me. I told the store owner I wanted that bottle only, and he told me the display wasn't for sale. I politely asked that he get me a new bottle and bring it to me for inspection and I'd carry it back to the ship. He brought out a bottle from the storeroom and sure enough it was the flat labeled bottle. Of course we walked out with making a purchase and now I am much more cautious about items that are delivered to the ship. Buyer beware.

Not usually cockroach eggs. Cockroach egg cases are pretty large (1/2-3/4 inch) so you would see them.

A more pervasive problem with wood (sculptures or statues) from other countries are wood boring beetles....which you definitely do not want in your house.

That's for sure!:eek:

Love the magnets! They don't take up room in the suitcase and i can smack em on the fridge when i get home. Also love coffee mugs. I always buy ones that i can use and not just for decoration, so i can remember the places I have been when i have my morning coffee!

I do the magnets and mugs too. However, for the mugs, I pick my favorite vacation picture that I've taken (sometimes with me in it - for proof - hahah:rolleyes:) and have one of the websites that are known for that sort of thing, put it on a mug for me. Perfect souvenier and I don't have to worry about anything breaking on the trip home. :)

I do the magnets and mugs too. However, for the mugs, I pick my favorite vacation picture that I've taken (sometimes with me in it - for proof - hahah:rolleyes:) and have one of the websites that are known for that sort of thing, put it on a mug for me. Perfect souvenier and I don't have to worry about anything breaking on the trip home. :)

That is a great idea! I will def do that on our next cruise!

"have a girlfriend who brought back a souvenir that showed up 9 months later! "

I have one of those too!! She is my Bahama Baby. (Yes - one too many Bahama Mama's!!! :p ;) )

My older daughter (who was planned to the minute) teases her and calls her an accident. My husband and I call her our blessing. :)

My cousin and his wife have one of those blessings! They were both in their early 40's and had given up on having children.

I was disappointed that they didn't name her "Lucia.":rolleyes:

I know what I was thinking - I wasn't!!!

Following a fun, ie tequila shooters, cooking class with Luis at Playa Mia and enjoying the open bar at the resort the pottery was lovely and the conversion of Peso's to Dollars was somewhat fuzzy......

I end up with a beautiful but useless $150 serving piece! :eek:

My cousin and his wife have one of those blessings! They were both in their early 40's and had given up on having children.

I was disappointed that they didn't name her "Lucia.":rolleyes:

Friends of mine who had been at the same point in life ended up with their lovely DD "Sidney" after an Australian vacation!

Archived