Heathrow to Southampton. How doable on day of sailing?

boblin

Lots of useful and thoughtful info here! Without commenting on trains vs. buses, or flying in one day ahead, thought I'd point out that Heathrow used to allow passengers in Business and First Class to use the "VIP" lane for immigration. I've only flown United and British Airways so I don't know whether other airlines do this. I also haven't flown into Heathrow in a year myself but my work colleagues use it all the time. As you can imagine the VIP lane is much shorter (i.e., nonexistent) and they have extra staff on it anyway. The first time I used it, it cut a full hour off the immigration time compared with the coach passengers on the same flight.

Business or First Class tickets may not be in the budget for everyone, but mileage seats can benefit from this. You can also pay for a coach seat and then use miles to upgrade. Just trying to suggest options!;)

Now I'm exhausted just thinking about all this. I think best option may be to either fly Air Transat to Gatwick ( and direct train ride to Southampton) or fly into Heathrow a day early, if I can convince daughter.

Thanks again, guys . You're the best!

Lots of useful and thoughtful info here! Without commenting on trains vs. buses, or flying in one day ahead, thought I'd point out that Heathrow used to allow passengers in Business and First Class to use the "VIP" lane for immigration. I've only flown United and British Airways so I don't know whether other airlines do this. I also haven't flown into Heathrow in a year myself but my work colleagues use it all the time. As you can imagine the VIP lane is much shorter (i.e., nonexistent) and they have extra staff on it anyway. The first time I used it, it cut a full hour off the immigration time compared with the coach passengers on the same flight.

Business or First Class tickets may not be in the budget for everyone, but mileage seats can benefit from this. You can also pay for a coach seat and then use miles to upgrade. Just trying to suggest options!;)

We had a bad experience with the VIP line in T5 a few weeks ago. They had one person manning it and there was a family that held up the entire line for at least 45 minutes. We ended up moving to the regular line which was at least three times as long and got through quicker than the people that were next to us in the VIP line.

Now I'm exhausted just thinking about all this. I think best option may be to either fly Air Transat to Gatwick ( and direct train ride to Southampton) or fly into Heathrow a day early, if I can convince daughter.

Thanks again, guys . You're the best!

Good decision. Heathrow on the day could be fraught with problems.:D:D

Good decision. Heathrow on the day could be fraught with problems.:D:D

Totally agree - holidays are the times we need to de-stress ---- not to have to worry even more. We only live 50 mins from Manchester Airport but always go up the day before and stay at a hotel. It is just that feeling that once we are there we can relax and start to enjoy the holiday with no more worries about delays, problems with the car etc etc etc.

And that is just 50 miles away -----

Good luck with your plans -

Boblin I have been researching this very question and thinking of booking the same sailing as you. I called Celebrity today as they offer transfers to Southampton. I thought their transfer timetable would give me a good indication of what's doable. They told me that they recommend a flight arriving no later than 11.00am to meet their last transfer bus. If you are making your own way there by bus or private transport then I think you will have a little more flexibility than with Celebrity. Personally I would prefer to have an overnight stay in either London or Southampton but I just can't do it this time. Have you booked flights yet?

Boblin I have been researching this very question and thinking of booking the same sailing as you. I called Celebrity today as they offer transfers to Southampton. I thought their transfer timetable would give me a good indication of what's doable. They told me that they recommend a flight arriving no later than 11.00am to meet their last transfer bus. If you are making your own way there by bus or private transport then I think you will have a little more flexibility than with Celebrity. Personally I would prefer to have an overnight stay in either London or Southampton but I just can't do it this time. Have you booked flights yet?

Further to my post above, I emailed a transfer company and asked them if they thought it was doable with a 10.00am landing. They said it usually takes an hour to clear customs and 2 hours to get to Southampton. Naturally this is assuming nothing goes terribly wrong. They said a 10 or 11am arrival shoul be fine.

There appears to a lot of mis-information here; I'll try and clarify

Heathrow->Paddington->Reading->Southampton is a silly connection for taking the train. It's fine if you're starting in London near Paddingington (skipping the Heathrow portion), but is 100% backtracking the wrong way. It would be much cheaper to take the bus to Reading and grab the train from there.

HOWEVER, If you really want to take the train from Heathrow, you take the RailAir bus from Heathrow to WOKING Station, then jump on the South West main line to Southampton, which has 3x/hour IIRC. Total time is just under 2hrs.

Gatwick -> Southampton; which is nice direct train still takes just under 2hrs (not one hour, as a previous poster claimed). It's a slow train along the coast via Hove. Other connections via Clapham Junction are not worth it. Note this train doesn't run on Sundays.

Coach -> Southampton; is frequent and fairly simple.

From Heathrow; Coach is easiest for most people, where as I tend to do the Woking connection, because I was always heading one-stop past Southampton - where the coach doesn't go.

There appears to a lot of mis-information here; I'll try and clarify

Heathrow->Paddington->Reading->Southampton is a silly connection for taking the train. It's fine if you're starting in London near Paddingington (skipping the Heathrow portion), but is 100% backtracking the wrong way. It would be much cheaper to take the bus to Reading and grab the train from there.

HOWEVER, If you really want to take the train from Heathrow, you take the RailAir bus from Heathrow to WOKING Station, then jump on the South West main line to Southampton, which has 3x/hour IIRC. Total time is just under 2hrs.

Gatwick -> Southampton; which is nice direct train still takes just under 2hrs (not one hour, as a previous poster claimed). It's a slow train along the coast via Hove. Other connections via Clapham Junction are not worth it. Note this train doesn't run on Sundays.

Coach -> Southampton; is frequent and fairly simple.

From Heathrow; Coach is easiest for most people, where as I tend to do the Woking connection, because I was always heading one-stop past Southampton - where the coach doesn't go.

Ah, but the coach on the DAY of the cruise is taking a chance on the motorways, which often suffer massive delays when an accident occurs!! Ditto bus to Reading. We live in the centre of London (and also Hove!) - but we usually go from our London base and use Waterloo - not to mention the attraction of the amazing Megatrain from there!!

Obviously, he should either come in the day before and take the bus from Heathrow to Soham, or fly to Gatwick and use the train - unless he is a bit of a chancer of course:D:D

To Boblin:

- Yes you can fly in the day of the cruise and as long as your flight arrives early (before 10:00) you have plenty of time and options to get to the pier. The bus (coach) is the easiest and cheapest.

- Yes, there is a concern over traffic/accidents/etc but leaving Heathrow before noon still gives you plenty of time.

- Celebrity allows same day arrivals and their buses will be subject to the same traffic/accident/delays as yours.

I'm also from Canada and have taken 2 cruises out of Southampton and one out of Harwich. I've flown into Heathrow same day for all 3 cruises and arrived at the ship hours before departure (once so early we weren't even allowed to board). Ultimately you can do it if that is what you prefer.

Of course he can - if his nerves will stand it!!

What if his plane has a delayed departure? And then immigration lines at Heathrow can be very long indeed:eek: He then gets on the coach/bus and there is an accident on the motorway. The ship will wait a certain length of time for passengers with air etc. booked through them, but not for independent travellers. Also, their coaches may well deviate from the route, whereas National Express may not. National Express has no interest in the cruise departure.

All I can say is that we are flying from Heathrow to Barcelona the day before we cruise - and we are very experienced travellers. Have seen so many passengers miss the cruise for various reasons. Why would you advise him to take chances? You have been lucky - he may not be so fortunate. And this is England - always have to take the weather into account.

If he does decide to fly in on the day, I do hope luck is with him - if he misses the cruise, all transportation to the next port will be at his own expense. And he will have to make his own arrangements probably, unless Celebrity is feeling very kind. Not funny in a strange country.

We live in London and still plan to travel down to Southampton the day before our cruise. The relief of already being there and able to spend a leisurely morning (at the shops icon10.gif) before boarding makes the day so much more relaxing.

Certainly wouldn't want to have the potential for both flight delays and land delays.

Hi Neilrosh and others. I can't believe how this thread has taken off! Thks for info about Celebrity transfers and their take on it all. No, I haven't booked flights yet, am just booking cruise today. All in midst of settling my husband's estate and trying to find a new cabinmate on my Jan., 2013 Grand princess S.A. cruise. (and awaiting a grandchild who's coming for a week.)

A thought - if you fly in to Gatwick, the train takes only about an hour to Southampton. Much more doable and reliable if you fly in on the day. Don't hear anything about immigration lines at Gatwick either.:eek:

I second the suggestion--Gatwick is closer (south of London) and offers

rail as well as coach connections to Southampton.

(And, if memory serves, Air Transat goes to Gatwick;))

I would book the airfare thru the cruiseline and take their shuttle. That way they will have to wait for you if there are delays once you have arrived at Heathrow. I think....

Not sure though...

Sounds like a good idea......

We went last May and went in two days early then caught the Princess shuttle at the bus terminal and it was smooth sailing. if you will forgive my pun.......

Archived