New to Cruising

cav_scout

Hello Forum,

I just booked a cruise for my wife and me on the Magic on October 7th. I have been lurking around here, and finally decided to join up and introduce myself.

My wife and I have been married for a little less then a year, and we decided we needed a vacation (I am in the Army, she works retail). So, a cruise seemed just about perfect.

I am sure yall will be hearing more from me as time goes on.

-Cav

Here's a link to how my first cruise went last year after worrying about all the stuff I'd read on here about doing the wrong thing!

It was fab and After all this years plans went awry I've managed to fit us in a 4 dater next week and I cannot wait!

Have a fantastic time, it really is awesome.

http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1567345

Cav, welcome to your new addiction!

First, make sure you join your roll call and start meeting other CC members and join the fun. Your roll call is here: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1436339

And yes, as a member of the military, you do qualify for interline rates. I suggest dargal.com. I've been using them for years (as an airline employee).

You'll love cruising. And if you're not happy with Carnival, there are so many other lines to try!

....Not sure what line the Magic is....

A little off the original topic, but I am quite perplexed why cruise lines have trouble coming up with ship names that do not duplicate other ship’s name. Not just reusing old ship’s names, but using the same name in the same market, in the same area. Why would a cruise line not protect the names of its ships?

Carnival Cruise Line has a ship named “Magic”, and Disney has a ship named “Magic”, and Costa has a ship with confusingly similar name “Magica”.

Carnival has a ship named “Freedom”, and Royal Caribbean has a ship named “Freedom Of The Seas”.

There is “American Glory”, and Carnival has a “Glory”.

If you want to sail on a cruise ship named “Dream”, you can go with Carnival Dream, Disney Dream, Norwegian Dream, Thomson Dream, or Ocean Dream.

It seems that most cruise lines have a ship named “Spirit”: American Spirit, Carnival Spirit, Norwegian Spirit, Seabourn Spirit, Silver Spirit, Thomson Spirit, and not to mention Spirit of ___ ships operated by Cruise West.

Other duplicates, triplicates, mulitplicates, include:

Carnival “Fantasy”, Disney “Fantasy”, MSC “Fantasia”

Carnival “Legend”, “Legend” of the Seas, Seabourn’s “Legend”.

Carnival “Liberty”, RCI’s “Liberty of the Seas”.

Carnival “Paradise”, Birka “Paradise”.

Carnival “Pride”, NCL’s “Pride of America”, Seabourn “Pride”.

Carnival “Splendour”, RCI’s “Splendour of the Seas”, and MSC’s “Splendida”.

Princess’s “Dawn”, NCL’s “Dawn”, P&O’s “Pacific Dawn”.

Can anyone explain the thinking behind letting competitor’s use the same name in the same market?

...Carnival Cruise Line has a ship named “Magic”, and Disney has a ship named “Magic”...

And to make it even more confusing, both will be sailing from Galveston this winter. At least they don't depart on the same days.

To OP: I'm sure you have a great time. Are you driving down? We usually stop at Sam's Restaurant in Fairfield (I-45 exit 197) and Buc-ee's in Madisonville, and use EZ Cruise parking in Galveston.

My 2 cents,

Dont be swayed nor dismayed at ever asking any question on the boards. We are not computer savy, to say the least. I wish I had found something like CC when we did our 1st cruise back in 1987.

Some will say, 'that has been asked a zillion times', 'use the search', dont worry, ask away :) The Ships and the stuff on them has changed, things are done differently from line to line, ie; just found out we can carry on up to 6 bottles of wine on Princess, couldnt do that in '93!

So get the suitcases out and start pre-packing! Some of us dont ever put them away!

Hello Forum,

I just booked a cruise for my wife and me on the Magic on October 7th. I have been lurking around here, and finally decided to join up and introduce myself.

My wife and I have been married for a little less then a year, and we decided we needed a vacation (I am in the Army, she works retail). So, a cruise seemed just about perfect.

I am sure yall will be hearing more from me as time goes on.

-Cav

I hope you have a great cruise.

My family just booked our first cruise for April 2013. We are going to the Bahamas on the Carnival Ecstacy. I have two sons who will be 17 and 14 at the time of the cruise. Does anyone have any tips for cruising with teens?

To OP: I'm sure you have a great time. Are you driving down? We usually stop at Sam's Restaurant in Fairfield (I-45 exit 197) and Buc-ee's in Madisonville, and use EZ Cruise parking in Galveston.

Yeah, I am driving. Fortunately, my parents live about 30 minutes from the Port, so we will be parking there and they can drop us off. Save a bit of cash!

Archived