What would you pack for NE/Canada in Oct?

I usually go south and pack very light clothing. What would you suggest for New England/Canada in October? I know the weather can vary, so what is the smart thing to do?

Anyone been on that cruise? I'd love any tips on what to bring.

Thanks.

I did a Canada/NE cruise several years ago in late September and just went on one last month. The best suggestion would be to check the forecast for the cities you plan to visit several days before you go. I live in the Boston area and the weather is similar to the Canadian cities, maybe a few degrees cooler. You could have sunny weather, temps in the 60s or rain, drizzle, damp weather in the 50s. You should pack long sleeve or 3/4 sleeve shirts, sweaters, jeans, pants, a lightweight jacket that can be worn in the rain. If cooler weather is predicted, a fleece jacket is a good idea. On my September trip, it was pouring rain in Portland, sunny, mild in Bar Harbor, sunny,mild in St. John and drizzle, damp, cloudy weather in Halifax.

I did a Canada/NE cruise several years ago in late September and just went on one last month. The best suggestion would be to check the forecast for the cities you plan to visit several days before you go. I live in the Boston area and the weather is similar to the Canadian cities, maybe a few degrees cooler. You could have sunny weather, temps in the 60s or rain, drizzle, damp weather in the 50s. You should pack long sleeve or 3/4 sleeve shirts, sweaters, jeans, pants, a lightweight jacket that can be worn in the rain. If cooler weather is predicted, a fleece jacket is a good idea. On my September trip, it was pouring rain in Portland, sunny, mild in Bar Harbor, sunny,mild in St. John and drizzle, damp, cloudy weather in Halifax.

October, temperature are around high 40 low 50, a worm jacket jacket is good to have for the windy days.

The further north you go, the cooler it usually will get but that is not carved in stone. We live in Boston and have sailed Boston to Montreal to Boston year after year and I would be packing cotton long pants (dark color), a few short sleeve jerseys/tops and several long sleeve for day wear. I would have a sweater and a hoodie or two hoodies. A water resistent jacket preferably with hood would be good. A liner isn't really necessary as you could wear a long sleeve jersey with hoodie under the jacket if you wish. You well could have a day in the 70's also. That's why I suggest a few short sleeve or 3/4 sleeve tops for day.

We love Canada/New England cruises and hope you do, too.

The further north you go, the cooler it usually will get but that is not carved in stone. We live in Boston and have sailed Boston to Montreal to Boston year after year and I would be packing cotton long pants (dark color), a few short sleeve jerseys/tops and several long sleeve for day wear. I would have a sweater and a hoodie or two hoodies. A water resistent jacket preferably with hood would be good. A liner isn't really necessary as you could wear a long sleeve jersey with hoodie under the jacket if you wish. You well could have a day in the 70's also. That's why I suggest a few short sleeve or 3/4 sleeve tops for day.

We love Canada/New England cruises and hope you do, too.

I could not have said better my self.

I went mid-October Boston-Quebec-Boston. It was very cold but then I'm from the Texas Gulf Coast. There was actually a little snow on the ground in one of the small towns we stopped at. I bought a coat in Bar Harbor because it was 50 and windy even there. I had a devil of a time getting that thing in my luggage and it now sits in my closet unused. It was 40-50 and windy most of the time.:cool:

:D :D We hearty New Englanders don't call 50's very cold but, of course, I understand why someone from Texas Gulf Coast would. If I am running errands, in the car, out of the car, in the store, out of the store, on a 50 degree day, I might not even wear an outerwear jacket. :eek: I might just have on my sweater or long sleeve jersey/top.

Yes, it is not impossible to have 50's on a Canada/New England itinerary in October.

For snow, the termperature has to be at or below freezing.

Thank you all. I guess I'll have to pack some warm clothes just in case. I love New England, but have never been on a cruise to that area or Canada.

S7S - I'm sure I will love it no matter what the weather is. I am now on the west coast and I'm still homesick after 7-1/2 years!!!:rolleyes:;)

:D :D We hearty New Englanders don't call 50's very cold but, of course, I understand why someone from Texas Gulf Coast would. If I am running errands, in the car, out of the car, in the store, out of the store, on a 50 degree day, I might not even wear an outerwear jacket. :eek: I might just have on my sweater or long sleeve jersey/top.

I grew up in CT and now - living in the South - I can often go the entire winter without wearing a coat.:rolleyes: Maybe if we get some snow and I am going to be walking somewhere.....Or outside playing in the snow:p

Shoulder season, unpredictable (day to day) weather = layers = lots of options;)

I usually go south and pack very light clothing. What would you suggest for New England/Canada in October? I know the weather can vary, so what is the smart thing to do?

Anyone been on that cruise? I'd love any tips on what to bring.

Thanks.

Casual and sporty would prob. be your best bet, Northface is my brand of choice, Columbia also makes similar items for the Fall.

My List:

* water & wind proof jacket (vests are also great)

* hooded fleece (prefer with a zipper to open if warm)

* socks & hiking shoes, sturdy sandal if the forcast is warm

* cotton scarf & light pair of gloves, head band (easy to roll up)

* long & short sleeved microfiber tee-shirts/sweaters

* capri and long pants

I would also check the forecast & pack accordingly

I grew up in CT and now - living in the South - I can often go the entire winter without wearing a coat.:rolleyes: Maybe if we get some snow and I am going to be walking somewhere.....Or outside playing in the snow:p

Shoulder season, unpredictable (day to day) weather = layers = lots of options;)

I live in Ontario border Montreal and also took this trip twice, and let me tell you when it gets windy at the port it may feel a lot colder. Being in a car and steeping out for 5 minutes it's not the same thing.

I added cool smileys to this message... if you don't see them go to: http://s.exps.me

I live in Ontario border Montreal and also took this trip twice, and let me tell you when it gets windy at the port it may feel a lot colder. Being in a car and steeping out for 5 minutes it's not the same thing.

I wasn't responding about cruise clothing when I mentioned I don't wear a coat in the winter now - I was responding to the post I quoted:rolleyes:

I've been to New England and Canada during all seasons. I'm familiar with the weather. Which is why I recommended layering. Because you just don't know what is going to happen day to day. I also know that I personally am warm blooded and need fewer layers than perhaps someone from a warmer climate might wish.

Thank you all. I guess I'll have to pack some warm clothes just in case. I love New England, but have never been on a cruise to that area or Canada.

S7S - I'm sure I will love it no matter what the weather is. I am now on the west coast and I'm still homesick after 7-1/2 years!!!:rolleyes:;)

I hope you have a great cruise.

We love the Canada/New England itineraries.

Wonderful!!!

West Coast is also beautiful but the left and right coasts offer different environment. Both are great IMO

Archived