Freestyle dining question

saleaaway

Haven't cruised with NCL since they moved to freestyle. From what I've been reading I understand it's a more casual atmosphere. We always liked to dress up a bit and was wondering if there were other passengers who still did as well.

You are free to dress up how you like. I am always surprised by how maybe people do actually dress up. Especially on dress up or not night. Freestyle allows you to dress up as you wish. So to asnwer your question yes there are passengers who do dress up. You will see a lot of people dressed down.

On dress up or not night, I would guess that about 35% of the folks dress up. But on any given night you will see some people in dressier clothing.

For our family we are glad to go casual but we don't go sloppy. But I have no trouble with folks who want to dress to the nines at any time. To each their own and that's why we love freestyle!

There were many dressed up cruisers last week on the Epic, but I don't remember seeing any tuxedos or kilts on men. Lots of women in evening gowns. Lots of bling and fancy shoes and hair, etc. You will not feel out of place.

We were very surprised at how many people dressed up on our cruise, we were on the Epic and noticed Manhattern restaurant most people were dressed up more formal than the other restaurants. The thing is before trying the free style I imagined people were dining in shorts or leisure wear but in fact they do have dress codes it's long pants, no shorts allowed other than in the Buffet and nearly everyone dresses very well,they dress for a night out at a fancy restaurant but some dress up that bit more formal because that's what they enjoy.

We were jut on the GEM last week. Most people, on dress up nights, just wore "church clothes," (I call it) to slightly formal. We only saw one family with the glitzy gowns and tuxedo and they looked out of place.

It's a "eat what you want, when you want, dress how you like" kinda trip.

I did notice people were being turned away at the dining rooms if they wore shorts.

We were very surprised at how many people dressed up on our cruise, we were on the Epic and noticed Manhattern restaurant most people were dressed up more formal than the other restaurants. The thing is before trying the free style I imagined people were dining in shorts or leisure wear but in fact they do have dress codes it's long pants, no shorts allowed other than in the Buffet and nearly everyone dresses very well,they dress for a night out at a fancy restaurant but some dress up that bit more formal because that's what they enjoy.

That is incorrect information. The only place shorts are not allowed is in the Aft (more formal) MDR and Le Bistro.

NCL Policy

"

What Should I Pack?

When it comes to what to wear, you can go resort casual or get decked-out and look your best - it’s your call. That’s the freedom of Freestyle Cruising. We even have special “Dress-Up or Not Night.” It’s the perfect opportunity to get your portrait taken with your family, that special someone or even with the ship’s Captain.

Dress cruise casual anytime during the day, in the buffet and in most specialty restaurants. For women, it includes summer and casual dresses, skirts, regular or capri pants, shorts, jeans and tops. Khakis, jeans, shorts and casual shirts are fine for men. Swimwear is acceptable at the buffet and outdoor restaurant, but a shirt or a cover-up and footwear are required. Cruise casual is also allowed day and night on embarkation day.

Wear smart casual if you are eating dinner in the aft main dining room (our more formal dining room) and in Le Bistro on cruises over longer than five days. For women, it includes slacks or jeans, dresses, skirts and tops. For men, it’s jeans or slacks with a collared shirt and closed-toed shoes. Traditional Bermuda shorts along with long socks, loafers and a blazer are all acceptable on a Bermuda cruise.

We want you to be comfortable, but tank tops for men, flip flops, baseball caps, visors and jeans that are overly faded, with holes or tears and worn below the hips are not permitted in main dining rooms or specialty restaurants. Kids 12 and under are welcome to wear nice shorts in all our restaurants. You may want to pack a sweater too—air conditioning can be chilly."

There were many dressed up cruisers last week on the Epic, but I don't remember seeing any tuxedos or kilts on men. Lots of women in evening gowns. Lots of bling and fancy shoes and hair, etc. You will not feel out of place.

Which night was dress up or not night on the Epic? I'm not bringing anything dressy, but my DW does have a dress that she wants to wear that night.

I like to dress up too! I booked Bistro for dress up or not night on our Dawn sailing and have a long-ish beaded dress I'm looking forward to wearing. Sundress, skirt and top things for the rest of the nights. Call me old fashioned, but I like to look nice for my guy.

• 1 year later...
I like to dress up too! I booked Bistro for dress up or not night on our Dawn sailing and have a long-ish beaded dress I'm looking forward to wearing. Sundress, skirt and top things for the rest of the nights. Call me old fashioned, but I like to look nice for my guy.

So - on our upcoming September 14 Night Dawn Boston R/T New England/Canada cruise...will the two (2) "Dress-Up/or Not" nights be on the 9/16 & 9/24 sea days?

Archived