was anyone disappointed that was on..

Muffinis#1

Actually if they want to see big icebergs (one of the "disappointments"), booking another cruise to Alaska won't help. They picked the wrong part of the world for that. Antarctica is where they will definitely be seen and sometimes the north Atlantic. Most of the 'icebergs' on Alaskan cruises are from the ice calving off the glaciers - and shattering upon impact with the water. Occasionally part of the glacier below the water line will break off and pop up to the surface. These will be larger but they aren't common.

Expecting to get up close the Twin Sawyer Glaciers in Tracy Arm is like betting on the Lotto - you pay your money and you take your chances. We've been there 2-3 times and have only seen the top - waaaaaaaaaay off in the distance. Tracy Arm is still beautiful, enjoy it for what it is, but I see it as a supplement to Glacier Bay or Hubbard Glacier. I would never recommend a cruise where Tracy Arm is the only chance for seeing a tidewater glacier from a ship.

Actually if they want to see big icebergs (one of the "disappointments"), booking another cruise to Alaska won't help. They picked the wrong part of the world for that. Antarctica is where they will definitely be seen and sometimes the north Atlantic. Most of the 'icebergs' on Alaskan cruises are from the ice calving off the glaciers - and shattering upon impact with the water. Occasionally part of the glacier below the water line will break off and pop up to the surface. These will be larger but they aren't common.

Expecting to get up close the Twin Sawyer Glaciers in Tracy Arm is like betting on the Lotto - you pay your money and you take your chances. We've been there 2-3 times and have only seen the top - waaaaaaaaaay off in the distance. Tracy Arm is still beautiful, enjoy it for what it is, but I see it as a supplement to Glacier Bay or Hubbard Glacier. I would never recommend a cruise where Tracy Arm is the only chance for seeing a tidewater glacier from a ship.

There is always the Mendenhall tour in Juneau as 'back up' to be sure to see a glacier. We enjoyed that tour a lot and we take very few HAL tours these days.

On our first Alaska cruise we took whale watching excursions and saw lots of bald eagles and otters but only one whale, way off in the distance.

We returned for a second cruise last September and saw lots of whales, some practically in the excursion boat with us. My wife and friends actually got wet when one blew alongside. We were also treated to an unusual experience with a great look at whales bubble-net feeding only about fifty yards away. On the other hand, we saw very few bald eagles.

The point is, wildlife watching is a gamble. Going with knowledgeable and reputable guides increases the likelihood of success but is no guarantee.

Last I heard the whales and sea life refused to renew their performing contract around the Oosterdam, heard their agent only allowed them to perform for excursions ;). :D

Hahaha! Good thing I wasn't drinking anything or I would've spit it all over my computer screen! :D (They better get a contract by next year!)

Last I heard the whales and sea life refused to renew their performing contract around the Oosterdam, heard their agent only allowed them to perform for excursions ;). :D

Perhaps they weren't tipped enough either!

We have been on three Alaska cruises and saw a LOT of wildlife on each of them. Sorry, must be a cruel coincidence.

Before you go to Alaska your expectations might be higher if you look at all the great pictures of Whales ,Eagles and Icebergs posted. For everyone of those perfect pictures there are thousand taken where the Whale dives, or is out of range when the picture is taken. Eagles that look close to the naked eye look tiny on the picture. Some of the perfect pictures posted are also taken by people who have professional equipment.

ChelseaSAilor

Before you go to Alaska your expectations might be higher if you look at all the great pictures of Whales ,Eagles and Icebergs posted. For everyone of those perfect pictures there are thousand taken where the Whale dives, or is out of range when the picture is taken. Eagles that look close to the naked eye look tiny on the picture. Some of the perfect pictures posted are also taken by people who have professional equipment.

ChelseaSAilor

Good points and good to remember.

well the weather was great but I didn't see any sea animals and I was really upset that we didn't go closer to the glaciers in Tracy Arms, I thought there would be alot of big Iceburgs and glaciers to see.... and how do I put this.....the ship was beautiful but I felt like it was closed in more that the other cruises I have been on... the out side space was ok but not many people could be out at once. I didn't see any whales or dolpins, I just thought it would have been alot more than it was.......the cities was beautiful

I am so sorry that Alaska did not live up to your expectations. More often than not we read quite the opposite from returning cruisers.

I just read another report of someone just returning from Alaska. They had gone to Alaska last year. Last year they saw a lot of blue icebergs in Tracy Arm. This year they were disappointed that they did not see many at all. I don't have an explanation. All I know is that the two times I went to Tracy Arm we saw lots of floating ice bergs, and that is what most cruisers also report. Apparantly this year their has not been as much calving, therefore, less bergs in the fjord.

For those wanting to see glaciers, an itinerary with just Tracy Arm for a scenic sailing day is never recommended. There are too many ships that just don't get all the way to the end of the fjord to see the glaciers. Sometime it is due to the ice, but more often it is due to the fact that the ship has run out of time. (which could be for various reasons) It seems like the Disney ship has the best record for getting to the end of they fjord. I know last year they allowed the most time for the transit. If I remember correctly, they allowed seven hours, whereas, other ships allowed 3, 4 or 5 hours. This makes a bid difference in what you can see.

As far as seeing wildlife from the ship, others have covered this quite well. It should never be expected, unless you want to spend literally hours out on deck with binoculars. The best way to see the wildlife of Alaska is to book excursions that will take you to where the wildlife is.

If you ever feel the desire to go back to Alaska, try to your homework a little more, so you will have the trip you want.

(...) I had low expectations as to what I would enjoy other than 'the people' and really didn't expect to care too much about Oosterdam. (...)Well, wow...... I LOVED Oosterdam, loved her crew, loved Alaska and Seattle and could not have had a better time.

I remember your pre-cruise posts where you expressed how dubious you were about the Alaska cruise -- I think it's so awesome that you ended up having a great time!

I'm sorry you were disappointed on your Oosterdam cruise. We took this cruise a few weeks before Sail7Seas (in May) and saw hundreds of whales in a 90 minute stretch while cruising from Ketchikan to Victoria, BC. One humpback whale did a full breach right beside us as we were on a wraparound aft cabin. On two Alaskan cruises, also in May, we only saw two whales in total. We were fortunate to get up close to Sawyer Glacier and saw all the baby seals on the ice floes, along with a brown bear walking along the shore. The previous week, the Oosterdam didn't go to Tracy Arm, so we were very thankful to see this wonderful area.

Hopefully you will return to Alaska and have better luck next time.

There is always the Mendenhall tour in Juneau as 'back up' to be sure to see a glacier. We enjoyed that tour a lot and we take very few HAL tours these days.

Mendenhall is not nearly as active as Hubbard or those in Glacier Bay. For us this is a pitiful (as is the Disney) itinerary for those wanting to see tidewater glacier calving in Alaska.

Seeing whales from the cruise ship may be hit or miss, but you are sure to see whales if you take a whale watching excursion with any of the recommended vendors at either Juneau or Icy Strait Point.

At Tracy Arm the small excursion boats are often able to get all the way in to the glaciers at the end of the channel, even when the big cruise ships cannot.

Adventure Bound got us all the way to the North Sawyer Glacier in May when the cruise ships were turning back before even coming within sight of a glacier.

Captain Steve promises that if he does not get you to a glacier, the next time you come to Alaska he will take you out again for no charge.

I'm sorry that the OP was disappointed, but it has been pointed out many times on these boards that the seven day round trip Alaska cruises out of Seattle, like the Oosterdam's, usually take the least scenic routes of all.

<snip>

I'm sorry that the OP was disappointed, but it has been pointed out many times on these boards that the seven day round trip Alaska cruises out of Seattle, like the Oosterdam's, usually take the least scenic routes of all.

Just thought I'd remind, for those who are looking forward to their Oosterdam cruise.....

Our June 17 cruise on OSDM took us all the way through Tracy Arm. Captain Draper did a great job of showing us the most amazing beauty at the glaciers and it's a sight I don't think I'll ever forget.

NO ships can promise to go through all the time but OSDM has defintely taken guests for that magnificent ride. :)

[quote name='Muffinis#1']Was anyone disappointed that was on the Ooasterdam July 8-15 from Seattle to Alaska?
[SIZE=3][COLOR=blue][/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][COLOR=#0000ff]I was so excited to go and could not hardly wait but the trip just wasn't what I was expecting....just wanted to know if anyone else was disappointed?:cool:[/COLOR][/SIZE][/QUOTE]

If you have been following the response you will see it is not possible to say any negative remark about a HAL trip on this board.

[quote]hypercafe
If you have been following the response you will see it is not possible to say any negative remark about a HAL trip on this board.
[/quote]

[B]Of course, it's possible and welcome when it is true.

While I gushed all over the place about our recent Oosterdam, I loved that ship, her crew and that cruise so much, what I wrote was true...... FOR US. I only speak for DH and myself when I write here.

However, I didn't gush so much about Nieuw Amsterdam. That cruise was less than we hoped for in some ways and I said so. In other ways, we had great things to say but that is not our favorite ship and that was not a favorite cruise for US.

OP said her opinion and that's great. It just was not our experience.

[/B]

[quote name='fleckle']Seeing whales from the cruise ship may be hit or miss, but you are sure to see whales if you take a whale watching excursion with any of the recommended vendors at either Juneau or Icy Strait Point.

At Tracy Arm the small excursion boats are often able to get all the way in to the glaciers at the end of the channel, even when the big cruise ships cannot.

Adventure Bound got us all the way to the North Sawyer Glacier in May when the cruise ships were turning back before even coming within sight of a glacier.
Captain Steve promises that if he does not get you to a glacier, the next time you come to Alaska he will take you out again for no charge.

I'm sorry that the OP was disappointed, but it has been pointed out many times on these boards that THE SEVEN DAY ROUND TRIP ALASKA CRUISES OUT OF SEATTLE, LIKE THE OOSTERDAM'S, USUALLY TAKE THE "LEAST SCENIC" ROUTES OF ALL. [/QUOTE]
I don't think "least scenic" means "not ever scenic", just not as scenic as the Inside Passage cruises out of Vancouver. Over and over that certainly seems to be the consensus on these boards from experienced Alaska cruisers.

[B]I'm delighted they offer round trip Seattle cruises or we would not have gone at all.

We wanted to spend five days in Seattle and then do only 7 days in Alaska. DH could not devote more time to that trip than 12 days.

If we all wanted the same thing, it would be awfully boring.
There were about 2,100+ people who chose to spend their money on that cruise when they could have chosen other if that is what they wanted. :) HAL would stop offering it if they weren't selling it.

[/B]

Hi

Last year I was on the 14 day Amsterdam cruise to Alaska June 10. we had nice weather. When we got to tracy Arm I was in awe. the water was full of ice and burgs of all sizes. It was breathtaking. The ship moved very slow as the ice was very where you could here it hittimg the ship. I was out on the bow. The glacier was blocked we could see it from a distance. On almost every burg was some kind of animal on it except a sea otter or puffin. The captain did a wonderful job in getting in as much as he did. My flash card had problems and I lost some of the photo's I do have some good ones. But I will never forget just how big and the shapes those burgs were. They were beautiful. I can't count how many eagles or seals I saw.
they were ecery where. I saw a few whales and spouts but to far away

Mendhall glacier was waters were also loaded with huge burg's almost took my breath away. I did not take the tour/ I too bus from town and then walked down nugget trail to waterfall.

fast forward

I again was on Amsterdam this year June 29.
crummy weather cloudy and cold (50's)
when we got to Tracy Arm not a drop of ice or a speck here and there.
It was a bit disappointing but It was beautiful in a different way. I saw things waterfalls some I missed last year but I had my eyes on sounding land mass not the water and I was taken by its beauty. Animals I did not see one eagle, maybe 4 seals. A few whales off in distance, more spouts.

I did take a whale watch in Icy Strait. WE saw a bear then another time 2 bears. We saw a lot od spouts and whales and even saw a humback.

much the same happened at Hubbard Glacier. If you want to really see ice burgs in Alaska go to Mendhall I saw so many the sun came out when I got there I had two camera's and forgot to put in the flash cards on;t saw it when I went to change battery and it started to rain. ohh the life of a amateur photographer.

Mary

on first time I never saw anything while cruising. except at Tracy and Hubbard.

on this cruise I saw whale spourts not much else. Missed them by seconds or on other side of ship

One thing I never forget. I hope my brothers camera worked (3 Camera's) leaving Juneau everyone along the shore lit bond fires and shot off fireworks. It was something I will never forget. If anyone on ship got this please contact me.

Mary

[quote=cruisin'girl;34593074]I don't think "least scenic" means "not ever scenic", just not as scenic as the Inside Passage cruises out of Vancouver. Over and over that certainly seems to be the consensus on these boards from experienced Alaska cruisers.[/quote]You are absolutely right. All the Alaska cruises travel through areas that are scenic.

But some take much more scenic routes than others, so there are major differences in how much of the cruise will be scenic as well as what you will actually get to see along the way.

For example, two ships that cruise Tracy Arm on the same day may arrive there traveling very different routes before reaching Stephens Passage.

I may have perfectly good reasons to choose an Alaska cruise that spends two of the days cruising out in open ocean far from shore instead of traveling in the scenic, protected channels.
But when I book such a cruise, I want to know what I will be getting in advance to avoid disappointment later.

Just to clarify, I used the term "least scenic" to describe that particular routing as being the least scenic of the Alaska itineraries offered by the major cruise lines, not to imply that it is the least scenic cruise itinerary anywhere. ;)

[quote name='hypercafe']If you have been following the response you will see it is not possible to say any negative remark about a HAL trip on this board.[/quote]

well I haven't been flamed much and I have said some negative things.

Try some of the other boards - you might be surprised - this one is tame (most times;)) compared to some of the others.

opinions are always valued here - as are questions - at least by me and I know a lot of others. Your comment is unfair. JMVHO

We just completed our 4th cruise to Alaska. Two with Holland (Westerdam & Zuiderdam) and two with Princess (Diamond & Sapphire). I really enjoyed my Holland cruises, but we saw very little wildlife. Princess had a Naturalist onboard for the entire cruise. They would make announcements from the Bridge anytime we were in prime feeding areas. They helped us spot whales, seals, otters, and sea lions. Without their help I would have probably missed most of the wildlife. I really like Holland America but my future Alaskan cruises will be on Princess. They do an excellent job of getting close to the Glaciers. The Naturalist are very knowledgeable of Alaskan culture and wildlife. Our Naturalist was on the Bridge at 7:00 a.m. as we sailed through Icy Straights. Thanks to her we spotted numerous sea animals. I think both lines provide a great cruise to Alaska but I will choose Princess in the future. Having a Naturalist onboard is a definite plus if seeing wildlife is important.

Archived