Never had such a problem bringing on soda..

Cruisingzs

We brought with us 12 bottles of soda, 6 of water, and 2 bottles of wine. And I think we went home with 9 bottles of soda, 1 water and 1 bottle of wine. And truthfully if I had not felt the need late in the trip to drink some of the soda, we might have brought home 11 of them. Next trip I might bring a couple waters, which I like to have for ports, etc in case we cannot find bottled water for dd (who is only 18 months old right now) and maybe the wine.

I was at Port Canaveral 2 weeks ago and I had one carryon with 12 bottles of water, 12 cans of soda and 4 bottles of wine and security didn't flinch except to tell me have a happy cruise. In Miami they did stop me and test 2 bottles before letting me go but nothing as drastic as testing every bottle.

Trust me- $7,000 for 2 balcony cabins and a $2,300 sail and sign (last year's was nearly $3,000 in on board spending). This was not a cost saving measure. MIL has a tendancy to get dehydrated very easy and she will drink 10 bottles of water a day. She also has a bad stomach and is particular about what she drinks. She spends most of her day on the balcony due to two knee replacement surgeries. So going to the Lido etc. is not practical. I was just trying to take care of the MIL and two kids in our group- not save a penny. Which is why I didn't hesitate to leave the drinks- hand cart, bungees and all drinks with the security. Certainly I was not concerned with saving money.......

OP, you need to allow for more time in boarding, something always happens, in your case it was the water search. If you have children and someone in a wheelchair, it's just going to take alot of time as you experienced. If you are at the airport, it takes more time. If you are at a restaurant it will take time to set up your table. I know when I've been anywhere with someone in a wheel chair all times doubled. Maybe everyone thinks it shouldn't be that way, but it is and fighting it and getting frustrated won't change it.

And yes Galveston does look at every bottle of water, it happened to us to but since we only had six bottles it delayed us about 15 minutes. A 30 minute delay which I think you estimated would have been worth it IMHO for your MIL. I just had to learn to slow down.

Archived