Never had such a problem bringing on soda..

Cruisingzs

5th Carnival cruise and we have always brought on drinks. We used to check with our luggage but now you are to carry on drinks. Getting onto the Magic in Galveston this past Sunday, we had 5 people in our group so we had 5- sets of 20oz drinks for everyone. Completely following the rules.

We had them bungeed to a rolling card for ease as my MIL was going to need help since she just had knee surgery. We also had two kids to keep up with. But we had to unpack everything for the xray machine. We reloaded the cart only for someone else to stop us and want to search the seal on EVERY bottle- not a random check. That would have taken forever and really screwed up the wrap on the case of water.

As we like to bring it on for convenience instead of saving money, I left every drink and the cart so I could start my vacation. We just got drinks form the mini bar.

Next time, I will just check a few in my luggage. If they make it great, if not- no big deal.

Not doing this to get flamed. Just an FYI of how things are getting...

5th Carnival cruise and we have always brought on drinks. We used to check with our luggage but now you are to carry on drinks. Getting onto the Magic in Galveston this past Sunday, we had 5 people in our group so we had 5- sets of 20oz drinks for everyone. Completely following the rules.

We had them bungeed to a rolling card for ease as my MIL was going to need help since she just had knee surgery. We also had two kids to keep up with. But we had to unpack everything for the xray machine. We reloaded the cart only for someone else to stop us and want to search the seal on EVERY bottle- not a random check. That would have taken forever and really screwed up the wrap on the case of water.

As we like to bring it on for convenience instead of saving money, I left every drink and the cart so I could start my vacation. We just got drinks form the mini bar.

Next time, I will just check a few in my luggage. If they make it great, if not- no big deal.

Not doing this to get flamed. Just an FYI of how things are getting...

Sorry to hear about this. We were on the Ecstasy out of Galveston a year and a half ago, and they were pretty careful, unpacked all our stuff and checked it very carefully. We are going to be on the Triumph next january and plan to carry on some (legal) drinks. It's a pain when you are trying to follow the rules and they make it such a hassle for you.

Next time bring a 12-pack of cans - they are much easier to deal with.

Water doesn't come in cans. Any other suggestions? I was going to bring bottles of water on my up and coming cruise for the first time. Tired of paying $3 for a bottle of water. Hard to believe if the 12 pack is shrink wrapped that they take it apart to check and see if the seals are broken. So aggravating.

Water doesn't come in cans. Any other suggestions? I was going to bring bottles of water on my up and coming cruise for the first time. Tired of paying $3 for a bottle of water. Hard to believe if the 12 pack is shrink wrapped that they take it apart to check and see if the seals are broken. So aggravating.

You can thank the alcohol smugglers for that.

Just bring a reusable bottle and drink the ship's water, made fresh daily:).

I noticed that the "security" checks at Galveston were much more thorough than any other port. Obviously their staff was trained to do this but you're right - it's pretty bad there.

Ya know, the drinks onboard are really not that much different then a bar on land or a restaurant. An example I can think of that comes to mind is the draft beer: on Carnival they are 4.50 for a 16oz draft.At Red Lobster, they are 4.25 for a 14 oz draft. The same with mixed drinks, frozen drinks etc......

Just bring a reusable bottle and drink the ship's water, made fresh daily:).

I always have done this, but I think that this may contribute to the "swollen feet and ankles" that a lot of us get.

I never add salt to food...ever...:) and I want to avoid ALL possibilities that contribute to this. I don't even eat soup (which I know has the highest content of salt). :o

I noticed that the "security" checks at Galveston were much more thorough than any other port. Obviously their staff was trained to do this but you're right - it's pretty bad there.

Worse yet is they put someone at the screening table that knows nothing about alcohol and it took her 10 minutes to decide if the port we had was really a wine.

Sent from my ARM powered phone using Tapatalk

I always have done this, but I think that this may contribute to the "swollen feet and ankles" that a lot of us get.

I never add salt to food...ever...:) and I want to avoid ALL possibilities that contribute to this. I don't even eat soup (which I know has the highest content of salt). :o

How do you figure the ship's water has anything to do with swollen ankles? I am a habitual salter and still have not had the swollen ankle problem. Do you think that Carnival adds salt to the water they process for drinking??

Are you thinking that the desalination process doesn't remove all the salt?

It does go thru a reverse osmosis system to purify it as well. Comes out as pure as any purified bottled water......

How do you figure the ship's water has anything to do with swollen ankles? I am a habitual salter and still have not had the swollen ankle problem. Do you think that Carnival adds salt to the water they process for drinking??

I DO get swollen feet and ankles when I drink the ships water, the desalination does not take all the salt away, I've researched it online.

Some people are more sensitive to the salt, I know I am.

Maybe it has to do with where I live (in the middle of the US with no ocean in sight) I drink the tap water at home, but never away from home, so if people want to drink the water and aren't bothered by it, they should definitely do so, but those that ridicule others for bringing on water, well you need to walk a mile in MY swollen feet and then comment!!!

I will continue bringing my water on board, because that is my drink of choice, I do go through a case on the ship!!!

Cheers, Carole

When we went on Conquest out of NOLA, we had 12 bottles of Diet Dr. Pepper and two bottles of wine. The wine was wrapped in a hand towel. They examined and shook all 12 (sealed) bottles of soda, but did not even unwrap the wine. I found that kind of funny. :rolleyes:

And you can blame Carnivals ridiculously high prices for drinks for the alcohol smugglers...:rolleyes:

Drinks were much cheaper 8-9 years ago and people still tried to smuggle on alcohol.

:rolleyes:

Are you thinking that the desalination process doesn't remove all the salt?

It does go thru a reverse osmosis system to purify it as well. Comes out as pure as any purified bottled water......

I am thinking that it depends on where you live, coasters seem to think the water is fine, but midwesterners of a certain age (menopause when your whole body goes wacko) seem to get swollen ankles and feet from the water.

Our water mostly comes from the ground in wells or (horrible thought) the rivers, no salt.

I DO have a problem when I drink the ships water, I don't have a problem when I bring my own, I've tested the theory and yes I absolutely believe the ships water has enough salt in it to make me swell.

JMO, Carole

There is a water bottle out with a built in filter, so you can use tap water and hopefully the filter will take out impurities in the water. This is the link for the Bobble Water Bottle. They are everywhere...we got ours at Best Buy of all places, but have also seen them at Old Navy and Walmart. Price is $9.99

http://www.greendepot.com/greendepot/product.asp?prod_name=Bobble+Water+Bottle+With+Built-In+Filter&pf_id=MOVW

My DD took one on her trip to Europe and loves it!

I brought 4 twelve packs of soda and a 12 pack of green tea on Liberty last week with no problem, all in one roll along bag. One quick look at what I had and we were off.

We did the Liberty last year out of Miami. No problem there either

I am thinking that it depends on where you live, coasters seem to think the water is fine, but midwesterners of a certain age (menopause when your whole body goes wacko) seem to get swollen ankles and feet from the water.

Our water mostly comes from the ground in wells or (horrible thought) the rivers, no salt.

I DO have a problem when I drink the ships water, I don't have a problem when I bring my own, I've tested the theory and yes I absolutely believe the ships water has enough salt in it to make me swell.

JMO, Carole

If that's what ship's water does then it makes sense to bring water on. Do you ask the kitchen to give you low sodium meals and are they accomodating?

Archived