Completely Exceeded our Expectations

My husband and I were on the July 5-11 sailing from St Louis to Louisville and had an absolutely wonderful time. We cruise often on the large ships but always wanted to experience a riverboat cruise. We're so glad we had the opportunity. From the moment we boarded the boat and caught sight of the Mark Twain Gallery (pictures just don't do it justice) and were greeted by the various staff-members, we knew we were in for a very special week.

I admit I was originally a bit apprehensive to sail on the American Queen based on early reviews, but my concerns were very quickly alleviated. The service, from the dining room staff to the gift shop attendant couldn't have been better. The steamboat itself was beautiful and the food was absolutely incredible. It was by far the best I've had on any ship. Even the buffets were wonderful.

We really enjoyed visiting all the small towns on our trip. Everyone was so friendly. Locals would come down to the river just to see the steamboat and take pictures of her. Parents were standing along the shoreline pointing it out to their children. And when we would depart from a town, people would gather and wave us off as the calliope music played. It was quite an experience.

We were very pleasantly surprised when the captain announced that they were adding an extra stop, not once, but twice during our cruise, complete with the hop-on hop-off bus tours. In Owensboro, they even made arrangements with the local museums to be open just for us, even though it was a day they were normally closed. Not only that, but they also arranged for a Blue Grass Band to play for us at the Blue Grass Museum. The band was fantastic and we really enjoyed that so much.

I had originally figured we would be doing a lot of reading and chess-playing on this trip, but between the riverlorian talks in the Grand Saloon and chats in the Chart Room, the bingo, the trivia, the shows, the port visits, and watching the happening along the river, we were kept quite busy. We never even had time to swim in the pool, watch any of the movies or take in any of the late evening entertainment.

My favorite thing though was simply sitting in a rocking chair and watching the ever-changing views along the river. We could hear the sounds of birds along the shoreline and even caught sight of a couple of bald eagles flying overhead. We live in Florida and have seen our fair share of fantastic sunsets, but some of the sunrises and sunsets we saw from the river absolutely took my breath away.

There was always something interesting to see along the river whether it was the next small town, a lock (we passed through seven of them on our cruise), the change in color of the rivers where the Mississippi met the Ohio, or just nature in all her glory. Driving through the heartland of America on the interstate is sure a far cry from seeing it from her rivers. I had always wondered what it would be like to experience time travel and step back into the past. Now I feel like I have.

I really can't come up with much to complain about the trip at all. We unfortunately traveled in the middle of a heat wave, but that certainly wasn't the cruise line's fault and the air conditioning on the boat worked very well so we could always get out of the heat when we needed to. I was a bit disappointed that the River Grille wasn't operating on our cruise, but there just wasn't the demand for outdoor dining due to the heat.

I had originally assumed that one trip on the American Queen would be plenty for us, but after discovering how enjoyable it is, I'm sure we'll be back again. I'd love to cruise on her on the Lower or Upper Mississippi (or both). It was so easy getting on and off the boat, and it was so pleasant never having to deal with crowds or long lines. I'd love to take a river cruise in Europe, but I'm not a fan of long flights or jet lag, so this is a great alternative for us. Although we've traveled outside the U.S. pretty extensively, my husband has told me repeatedly that we should see more of our own country. After this trip, I have to admit that I agree with him, now that we've discovered such a pleasant way to do it.

Tradewinds Woman,

Thanks for your review!! It sounds like you really got it what´s steamboating is all about!!:D Sitting in a rocking chair and watching the landscape going by... enjoying the small towns along the river and the people who excited to see a steamboat coming round the bend!

steamboats

Sue, I believe the boat was about two thirds full, but I could be a bit off on that.

I have to say, I've been reading Cruise Critic for years but have never commented about any of our own cruises. After this trip though, I felt inspired to do so. It was such a unique and special experience. It definitely opened up a whole new world for us. It may not be the right cruise for everyone, but for the people who get what it's all about, it can be pretty wonderful.

My only regret is I wasn't able to take this trip sooner and bring my father along. He passed away back in 1999 but he would've just loved the whole experience. I sure felt like he was standing there on deck next to me though, watching for what was around the next bend with a big grin on his face.

Thank you so much for your review, we're sailing the beginning of October and looking forward to sitting in the chair, watching the Fall colors along the countryside and listening to the riverlorian.

And for another review, surf on over to "Steamboats'" website and read what is being posted from the boat by a current passenger. There are nice photos of the boat, its crew, and passengers. Just add www dot and then a dot org to name.

And for another review, surf on over to "Steamboats'" website and read what is being posted from the boat by a current passenger. There are nice photos of the boat, its crew, and passengers. Just add www dot and then a dot org to name.

Took me a while to find it on that site, but it was worth it, great reading.

Took me a while to find it on that site, but it was worth it, great reading.

I'm glad you enjoyed it, Don. Judy doesn't pull any punches, and her first trip on the DELTA QUEEN was back in the seventies, like mine.

And for another review, surf on over to "Steamboats'" website and read what is being posted from the boat by a current passenger.

CALLIOPE: I've tried to find the review you mentioned - in a later message you said it was authored by "Judy". Is there an easier way to find that review? The only one I found was by "Bruce" and his Cincinnati voyage.

Thank you.

CALLIOPE: I've tried to find the review you mentioned - in a later message you said it was authored by "Judy". Is there an easier way to find that review? The only one I found was by "Bruce" and his Cincinnati voyage.

Thank you.

Is this what you want?....

http://www.greatamericansteamboatcompany.com/blog/2012/07/20/feedback-our-guests/

Is this what you want?....

Not sure! :-)

Steamboat seems to refer to a review on his website by a "Judy".

I had read your reference before on the CC members' review.

It may be the same on Steamboat's website but he did sy "Judy".

Judy's commentary and photos are posted in the section Steamboats & History on dot org under the title: "Live From the AMERICAN QUEEN."

The Cruise Critic member "Steamboats" and her husband own and operate that premier website about steamboats. They are based in Munich Germany, and luckily for all American steamboat fanatics, probably as a labor of love, they keep the site going strong.

Responder,

The link you´ve posted is the copy of the review of Tradewinds Woman featured on the AQSC website.

Calliope was referring to our website and a photo review posted on our message board. And no, that´s a totally different person who posted the photos (and it´s a different cruise).

steamboats

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Thanks for the review and the comments. We were horribly disappointed by American Cruise Lines, but still want to do river cruising in the USA. This review gives us hope that we can have a good experience with another American company.

The dream is reborn with American Queen Steamship Company.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the great post!

I have only visited the US once and that was far north in new england (maine and boston) I have always wanted to visit the south, but not have to drive around this time, so this seems perfect for me and my fiance, thanks for the great info! think I am going to get some great ideas from this forum!

Archived