Hotel in Vancouver

cruzemaven

I feel sorry for people who have to board their ship there as compared to boarding at the lovely Canada Place!
We were on the RCCL Serenade of the Seas. Not a significate size, but not too small either. The pier was just fine and we didn't see anything wrong with it, except the embarkation was slow.

Our limo picked us up at the hotel and we were at the pier in less than 15 minutes. Didn't even notice the area around it. We were focusing on the ship. :D We could see Canada Place from the ship and the views of Vancouver were wonderful!

Compared to Canada Place - it's definitely not as nice. Compared to Seattle - well, that's another story. Not to be biased, I am seen many ports and airports around the world and I must say that Vancouver's Canada Place is the nicest cruise terminal I have ever seen and that goes for Vancouver Airport as well. It is like a "palace" compared to most airports.

I feel sorry for people who have to board their ship there as compared to boarding at the lovely Canada Place!

Don't feel sorry. We embarked at Canada Place this May and it was a total zoo. Our embarkation at Ballentyne last year was a breeze!

Don't feel sorry. People embarking at Ballentyne are going on a CRUISE!:D

Another vote for Pan Pacific. We stayed there after our Alaska cruise last year, and just loved it. Our room looked over the port, and the only sad part was watching the ship sail back north without us! ;)

We got a good rate on Expedia -- had to prepay, but we already had travel insurance just in case of any changes. The exchange rate was in our favor too, which helped.

We spent a fantastic couple of days exploring the beautiful city, and especially loved Stanley Park and the aquarium.

We're booked into the Metroptlitian for the Thursday & Friday night before our cruise in July.

Any input or feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks' date=' :)

Terry[/quote']

"The Met" as this hotel is known by locals, is a fabulous hotel. The hotel is well situated, across from the (partly underground) Pacific Centre shopping mall, 5 minute walk to the Art Gallery and Robson street (more shopping), the rooms are very comfortable, and if you wanted, you could walk to Canada Place (about 7 minutes! all downhill) - but take a cab with all the luggage you'll be schlepping :)

ps - how much did you get it for?

We're booked into the Metroptlitian for the Thursday & Friday night before our cruise in July.

Any input or feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks' date=' :)

Terry[/quote']

Stayed there last year in the fall. Rooms are nice, bathrooms are big, have a tub and separate shower. Speaker in bathroom so you can listen to T.V. in there if you wish. Amenities included a loofa mit. The beds are huge and have really light weight feather comforters. There is a mini-bar in the room. When we made reservations I asked if it could be empty when we arrive and it was. It is close to buses, rest. and you can just roll your suitcases down to Canada Place. The Rest and Bar is expensive.

We're booked at the Marriott Pinnacle. Anyone stayed there? What can you tell me? How far from there to Canaca Place?

Stayed there about a month ago... it's about a five minute walk to CP... very nice hotel, can usually be booked on Priceline for about $70.00US... ask for a view room. Priceline calls it a 4 star, more like a 3-1/2. Some rooms are very small.

My vote is for the Westin Bayshore, even with the added distance from CP. It's proximity to Stanley Park, the marina, and the bikepath give it a real resort feel. Request the tower rooms, those in the old building are showing their age.

One comment on the downtown and CP-close hotels: the panhandling in this area has become increasingly aggressive, another reason to stay at the Bayshore...

I agree 100% about the panhandling. We stayed at the Pan Pacific in May and walked back from the Chinese Gardens in the daylight and we were approached several times by transients asking for money. I was told that a lot of the missions were close by. Also came out of the Steamworks after dinner and acosted by several very aggressive panhandlers on the way past the train station. Lots of drugs being used and sold in the area around Canada Place. :(

You report being "acosted by several very aggressive panhandlers."

Semantics being somewhat objective, can I ask for clarification?

Did you feel that your personal safety was in jeapordy if you did not give them money? Or did they just not leave you alone until they were sure you were not going to give them anything?

Not a laughing matter, and fore warned is fore armed.

Thanks.

We were there last May and Sept. and also this May. If you go on Hastings toward China Town there will be lots of druggies/panhandlers. Most of them were polite and did not approach too close and asked nicely for money and didn't bother us when we didn't give. As far as I'm concerned Vancouver has the most polite panhandlers anywhere we've been. Someone said they had strict laws that were enforced if they were a real nusiance, but I don't know if that is true. Stay off Hasings and you should be OK.

We took the same walk down Hastings in early May (went to the Sun Yat Sen Classical Garden) and didn't encounter much panhandling. There were a lot of seedy-looking people, but they didn't approach us.

We then went over to Gastown, and passed by an area with lots of homeless. Again, they didn't approach us, and we just didn't linger. I wouldn't take that walk after dark, but I think that's common sense for any big city. Vancouver is one of the safest North American cities, I think.

Re the Bayshore: we've stayed in both the tower and the original part, and actually preferred our room in the original part better. We were on a Starwood Preferred Guest floor, which probably made a difference. But we love the hotel, and would happily stay in either part!

If you are ok with a bit of the lower end-entertainment area (there is a strip club across the street and a few XXX stores around), you are very near alot of things: English bay, Yaletown (upscale apts and converted warehouses/restaurants/boutiques), top restaurants (il Giardino) false creek and Granville Island. There is the top blues club - the Yaletown hotel - right next to the stripclub.

Just a little clarification on the panhandling issue in and around downtown -

I'm in Vancouver every May along with many others to enjoy one of the nicest months in this great city... this includes lots of bare bones travelers, mostly younger, who tend to hang out near the popular hotels and ask for help. Now I live in a city that has the same influx of summer visitors(Santa Monica, Ca), so I'm used to it(hey, it's a free country, there's room for everbody, and I try to help those that really need it as often as I can), but this last May it seemed the level of aggression by younger backpackers from other countries had risen to very annoying levels. One Aussie attached himself to us as we left the Pinnacle("man, I just got here, and reeeally need a cigarette - make that a pack") and would not leave us alone till we hailed a police officer. He and others were working both sides of the street, and while I never felt in physical danger, they were there every time we entered or exited the hotel. We were accosted each time, and cursed when we refused.

As I said, I try to be extremely tolerant, but next visit in September we will stay at the Westin Bayshore.

You report being "acosted by several very aggressive panhandlers."

Semantics being somewhat objective' date=' can I ask for clarification?

Did you feel that your personal safety was in jeapordy if you did not give them money? Or did they just not leave you alone until they were sure you were not going to give them anything?

Not a laughing matter, and fore warned is fore armed.

Thanks.[/quote']

Yes I felt that my and my families personal saftey was in jepordy if I did not give them money. At which point I was threatened by a comment of maybe I need my ass kicked. After giving the impression that I would not back down they left(female and males). The womans purses were a concern also as I felt that if given the oppurtunity they would be snatched. I am not anywhere close to being overly paranoid and am very watchful of the surroundings and for the safety of our group. I was surprised that during our 3 day stay I saw only 1 police car or officer in the area. We did walk back from the Dockyard/Boatyard seafood Restaurant in English Bay at 9PM on one evening to the Pan Pacific, which was about 3 to 4 miles and we were fine. Just the area around China town was an issue.

Cattman

I agree they are very aggressive to the point of being threatening in our case. The lack of law enforcement in the area only adds to their (panhandlers) sense of it is OK to do whatever to whomever.

Cattman & Colo Cruiser – thanks to you both. Not the sort of thing you get to read about in the Chamber of Commerce literature.

We all grew up in big cities, so we (hopefully) can handle ourselves - although not the sort of thing that one looks forward to on a vacation.

As I said – fore warned is fore armed. Thanks again.

I was very surprised with these incidents although I shouldnt be. I love Vancouver and have been there several times. I plan on going back there many more times. It is a shame that these types of confrontations have to occur. I realize it is a big city and there are alot of international travelers but there needs to be a little more coverage of law enforcement in the downtown area to at least discourage this type of interaction. :)

saw this thread....after @2mos of bidding for a 4*Vancouver 09/05 my bid got accepted today for $76-got the Vancouver Sheraton Wall, looks nice, any feedback appreciated :) Thanks, Liz

Dollars Canadian or American? How does Priceline handle that?

Archived