Passport card

We are going on the NOS on February 23 to the Western Caribbean. Is just a passport CARD sufficient and not an actual passport? Are we required to have special vaccinations? We cruised in 2008 and we did not have to have any special vaccinations or a passport card. On our last cruise to the Eastern Caribbean, we needed a passport card. :confused:

PP cards are worthless except for short boarder crossings from American soil. Yes the will work for closed loop cruises from US ports, but if you should have to fly home for an emergency, they will not work and you will spend time at a American Embency if you can find one.

I use a PP card, like the small size, but carry a real pass port.

We are going on the NOS on February 23 to the Western Caribbean. Is just a passport CARD sufficient and not an actual passport? Are we required to have special vaccinations? We cruised in 2008 and we did not have to have any special vaccinations or a passport card. On our last cruise to the Eastern Caribbean, we needed a passport card. :confused:

the passport card is not sufficient if you have to fly home in an emergency, no better then using a birth certificate and photo id, assuming you are US citizens

no vaccinations needed

If you are a U.S. citizen and were on a closed loop cruise, you did not need a passport card. A birth certificate and driver's license would have been sufficient. That is all that is required to cruise today. A passport would be the best choice but not required.

Thanks to all. On last cruise, we were told we needed the passport card. Oh well, money spent for nothing. :rolleyes: They did ask for it though. If I didn't have it, I guess I would have had to show them my birth certificate.

Whoever told you that was wrong or else you misinterpreted their advice. On closed-loop cruises a certified birth certificate and a government-issued photo ID are sufficient. Passport cards are primarily intended for persons who regularly make border crossings by land and are not valid for international flights. The latest number that I saw claimed that something like only 35% of US citizens have a passport and of those who don't have one, an astoundingly high percentage indicate that they see no reason to get one.:confused:

Passport cards are not worthless and have several advantages vs a drivers license and birth certificate:

-faster/easier processing at cruise terminal than DL/BC

-more convenient to carry than DL/BC

-works equally well for naturalized US citizens.

-easier to get an emergency passport book issued if you already have a passport card

-good for land/sea entry into the United States

Up to you if that's worth the $55 to get one. They are only $30 extra ($140 vs $110) if you are already getting a passport book, and they make good wallet sized backup ID and for going ashore.

I always would recommend the full passport. Its not worth the risks just to save a few dollars. Is saving less than 100 bucks worth all your trouble if something happens and you need to fly back?

Full price for the passport book regardless of whether you have the card or not.

Just an FYI, for people getting a passport card for border crossings, one of the DHS trusted traveler border cards, NEXUS for Canada, Sentri for Mexico are better. You not only don't have to carry a passport, you get dedicated lanes and mostly quicker inspections. Plus you get Global Entry priviledges so you can use the kiosks instead of lining up for a immigration agent when arriving in the US on an international flight. It also makes you eligible for the TSA Pre-Check program where the airline/airport offers it, so you stand a chance of being able to keep your shoes on and your laptop cased at the airport.

If you are from a state that offers Enhanced Driver's Licenses that is better than a passport card, too, since an EDL works just like a passport card and its just your driver's license. No need for extra ID.

As you can see, I think the passport card is pretty useless given there are better alternatives. Disclaimer, I hold a passport and a NEXUS card. I am from a state that offers the EDL, but decided NEXUS was better. Didn't consider the passport card at all at my last passport renewal.

Some facts from the U.S Department of State:

Over 65 Million, Americans travel abroad annually.

During FY 2011, 38,881 emergency passports were issued.

(which is a very small percentage of the 65 million travelers annualy)

I couldn't find a further breakdown of how many of the 38,881, emergency passports were related to the cruise industry, nor could i find a breakdown of which were either lost or stolen needing emergency replacement.

Over 10 million cruise passengers depart from us ports on cruises yearly.

There are 4.5 million passport cards issued as of October 2011.

I have a passport card, and I don't believe it's worthless, and will continue to take it with me when I cruise.

As dwjoe wrote:

-easier to get an emergency passport book issued if you already have a passport card

Since I have the passport card, would I have to still pay the entire price of the passport book or would it be a little less expensive? For instance, would I have to pay another processing fee?

I don't believe you get a discounted price for a passport because you already have a passport card, but for the official answer to your question you should check the State Department website.

I don't believe you get a discounted price for a passport because you already have a passport card, but for the official answer to your question you should check the State Department website.

I agree it only works the other way around.(have Passport and want to get Card)OP can check using this form http://iafdb.travel.state.gov/ to find the nearest Passport office to check.

Some facts from the U.S Department of State:

Over 65 Million, Americans travel abroad annually.

During FY 2011, 38,881 emergency passports were issued.

(which is a very small percentage of the 65 million travelers annualy)

I couldn't find a further breakdown of how many of the 38,881, emergency passports were related to the cruise industry, nor could i find a breakdown of which were either lost or stolen needing emergency replacement.

Over 10 million cruise passengers depart from us ports on cruises yearly.

There are 4.5 million passport cards issued as of October 2011.

I have a passport card, and I don't believe it's worthless, and will continue to take it with me when I cruise.

As dwjoe wrote:

I didn't say it was worthless, I said there were better alternatives that provide the same things as the passport card, and more. Why carry extra id if your state issues EDLs, which are good for all land and sea entry just like a passport card? Why not pay a bit more and get Global Entry and TSA Pre-Check rights with a NEXUS card as well as expedited lanes at the Canadian border in addition to the land/sea rights of the passport card? If you aren't in a border state where you actually might use the land entry rights routinely, why get a card at all, when to do anything EXCEPT a cruise from a North American port you need a passport anyway?

I didn't say it was worthless, I said there were better alternatives that provide the same things as the passport card, and more. Why carry extra id if your state issues EDLs, which are good for all land and sea entry just like a passport card? Why not pay a bit more and get Global Entry and TSA Pre-Check rights with a NEXUS card as well as expedited lanes at the Canadian border in addition to the land/sea rights of the passport card? If you aren't in a border state where you actually might use the land entry rights routinely, why get a card at all, when to do anything EXCEPT a cruise from a North American port you need a passport anyway?

1. I didn't single out your reply, I just posted a general response to the

subject at hand.

2. You were not the one who said it was worthless, your said it was

useless!

3. Only four states offer an enhanced drivers license, Michigan, New

York, Vermont and Washington.

4. The Nexus card is $50 dollars, The Global entry card is $100.00 dollars.

5. We purchased our Passport cards when the program began, they cost

$20 dollars, we were getting our passport books at the same time.

6. I still find the passport card to be an easy way to check in for a cruise,

and when I leave the ship I carry my seapass, credit card/cash, and my

passport card.

Since I have the passport card, would I have to still pay the entire price of the passport book or would it be a little less expensive? For instance, would I have to pay another processing fee?

You don't get a discount if you already have the card and want the book, or vice versa. (However, you will indicate on your application that you already have a passport card.)

The discount is if you get both simultaneously, b/c you only have to pay one $25 processing fee.

Passport book & card = $140 + $25 processing = $165

Passport book = $110 + $25 processing = $135

Passport card = $30 + $25 proecssing = $55

Why carry extra id if your state issues EDLs, which are good for all land and sea entry just like a passport card? Why not pay a bit more and get Global Entry and TSA Pre-Check rights with a NEXUS card as well as expedited lanes at the Canadian border

Mac303 already replied to most of your post, so I'll just address the EDL and Nexus points.

Enhanced Driver Licenses are an option if your state issues them. Passport card has a few advantages though:

-Easier to get a passport book in an emergency if you already have a card

-Privacy enhancements. EDL has active RF chips that can be scanned. So does PP card, but the EDL has to be carried around all the time in your wallet

Nexus is a different beast. It requires a security interview by both Canadian and US authorities. Not very convenient for your typical US cruiser. But if you have one, it can be used for cruising.

Note: driver's license + birth certificate is only OK for "closed loop" cruises, i.e. that start and end in the same US port.

A certified copy of your birth certificate, issued by a government authority (e.g. State, County, City but NOT a hospital) should be OK. Not all jurisdictions use raised seals.

Puerto Rican birth certificates should be issued after 7/1/2010.

I recently got my passport card and I only paid $30 I did not see a processing fee and nobody from the state dept told me I had insufficient payment.

It was processed pretty quickly with my expired passport about 2 1/2 weeks.

Archived