How do we liven up this board?

Banditswife

Thanks, Tom. We think we're on the Polarlys although I don't think Vantage has confirmed that as yet. I've sent a question to Vantage asking about the mini-suites and if we could put a cot in the cabin if there's only one bed.

Walking tours and a couple of coach "drive-around" tours are included in the price of our tickets. There's something free in each port as well as a tour of Bergen the morning we depart. I don't know yet about optional excursions like dog sled excursions, etc.

Vantage has booked the entire ship - did they do that when you and your wife went? I don't know what that means in terms of how we'll be divided up.

I went on a tour once called "Following in the Footsteps of Paul." The tour company had chartered a Louis Cruise Lines ship, and there were 700 of us onboard. We started in Athens and went across to various places in Turkey, down to Israel, back to Cyprus, and one fun day on Santorini. We had 16 bus loads, and we were with the same bus each time. It was quite an operation.

Thanks for the alcohol policy info as well. I don't see the purpose of taking wine onboard if I can only drink it in the cabin. I don't drink a lot anyway so may opt to drink only a few times on the ship.

Beth

Our group was 62 people and ship pax count was 650--so Vantage did not book the whole ship. I think that you are misinformed. I can't see Vantage booking 600+ pax when they advertise that they are leaders in small group travel. Their Norway brochure advertises a maximum of 24 persons for your trip.

All Hurtigruten ships are in 600 pax range. Hurtigruten ships are Norway's ferry system--similar to Alaska ferries. They have a contract to provide service year round and sometimes sail w/o a full load. Thus the winter discounts. Only in the past 30 years have coastal towns been connected by road. Prior to that, they used the ferry and many still do. Some people were only on the ship 1 day and slept on a couch in a lounge.

Our ship had a self serve coin laundry. If you buy a bottle of wine and drink only 1 or 2 glasses, they will store it for you.

Do you watch PBS Masterpiece? Sunday's episode was one of the Wallander series by Henning Mankell--Swedish author. I have started reading his books and enjoy them and the PBS shows.

Tom :)

Our group was 62 people and ship pax count was 650--so Vantage did not book the whole ship. I think that you are misinformed. I can't see Vantage booking 600+ pax when they advertise that they are leaders in small group travel. Their Norway brochure advertises a maximum of 24 persons for your trip.

All Hurtigruten ships are in 600 pax range. Hurtigruten ships are Norway's ferry system--similar to Alaska ferries. They have a contract to provide service year round and sometimes sail w/o a full load. Thus the winter discounts. Only in the past 30 years have coastal towns been connected by road. Prior to that, they used the ferry and many still do. Some people were only on the ship 1 day and slept on a couch in a lounge.

Our ship had a self serve coin laundry. If you buy a bottle of wine and drink only 1 or 2 glasses, they will store it for you.

Do you watch PBS Masterpiece? Sunday's episode was one of the Wallander series by Henning Mankell--Swedish author. I have started reading his books and enjoy them and the PBS shows.

Tom :)

I was surprised, too, that Vantage had booked the entire ship, but that's what I have been told. However, this is one of those times when I really did not do any research. I discovered that a CC friend I will finally meet in person in 3 1/2 weeks had booked the cruise as a solo, asked her about it and wound up deciding to go as well. This is not to say that I have not looked at this cruise off and on for many years which is one of the reasons I jumped at the chance without too many questions.

We're using my friend's TA. I ususally don't use a TA but do everything myself, but my friend had already booked with her, so I really had no choice.

I have the Wallender episode recorded but haven't looked at it yet. Is it a new series? I ask because I watched all of last year's episodes and really liked them. However, I haven't read the books. Right now I'm on the third in a series of books by Alex Gray (female) who is a Scottish author. Her detective is DCI Lorimer, and the books are set in Glasgow. I don't know Glasgow as well as I know Edinburgh and other parts of Scotland, but I know enough to be familiar with some of the locations mentioned in her books.

Beth

I was surprised, too, that Vantage had booked the entire ship, but that's what I have been told. However, this is one of those times when I really did not do any research. I discovered that a CC friend I will finally meet in person in 3 1/2 weeks had booked the cruise as a solo, asked her about it and wound up deciding to go as well. This is not to say that I have not looked at this cruise off and on for many years which is one of the reasons I jumped at the chance without too many questions.

We're using my friend's TA. I ususally don't use a TA but do everything myself, but my friend had already booked with her, so I really had no choice.

I have the Wallender episode recorded but haven't looked at it yet. Is it a new series? I ask because I watched all of last year's episodes and really liked them. However, I haven't read the books. Right now I'm on the third in a series of books by Alex Gray (female) who is a Scottish author. Her detective is DCI Lorimer, and the books are set in Glasgow. I don't know Glasgow as well as I know Edinburgh and other parts of Scotland, but I know enough to be familiar with some of the locations mentioned in her books.

Beth

Sunday's Wallender was a new episode. If you go to Vantage website and find your cruise you will see 24 person maximum. I have never read Alex Gray but have read Ian Rankin. Some of Rankin's books have been adapted and shown on PBS. His books are set in Edinburgh.

All of my Vantage trips were booked direct w. Vantage. We are planning to go on their China trip-- fall 2014. I think that you will enjoy the trip.

Another author that I like is the late Bartholmew Gill--whose books are set in Ireland. He was actually born and raised in Buffalo,NY,(my hometown) but went to Trinity College, Dublin.

Tom:)

Tom, think I'll watch Sunday's Wallender today.

Just had a call - a sales call, really - from Vantage so asked some of my questions. Yes, we're on the Polarlys. No, Vantage has not chartered the entire ship, just a block of cabins. And, yes we could "request" a cot although he didn't seem to think it would be guaranteed.

Beth

I enjoy chatting with fellow cruisers, would love to share experiences with others over 55. This section of the board is just pretty dead. DH & I are both over 55 & looking forward to a relaxing as well as exciting cruise aboard the Dream in Nov, 2012.

so where does the dream go to and from where on 12 november, next month i believe you said. just the name of the ship is special. plt2087

I don't know anything about the Dream so can't help there.

Watched Sunday night's Wallender today. Great as ever.

For those of you who've been to St. Marteen/Martin: Any recommendations for a place to have lunch in either Marigot or Philipsburg? I'd like to have lunch where the locals go and not necessarily in one of the cafes or restaurants promoted by the cruiselines.

Beth

was thinking of the same thing Beth - the past several stops, we just walk from the ship to the shops on the pier - keep seeing this Roti stand there but never tried it - once we were on the Beach and ate at a tourist trap - I forgot what I had but Narce had goat stew and he loved it - I must have had a quesidilla - but again, that's a tourist place - I need to see if I can get on a tour by Bernard -

carol

was thinking of the same thing Beth - the past several stops, we just walk from the ship to the shops on the pier - keep seeing this Roti stand there but never tried it - once we were on the Beach and ate at a tourist trap - I forgot what I had but Narce had goat stew and he loved it - I must have had a quesidilla - but again, that's a tourist place - I need to see if I can get on a tour by Bernard -

carol

Bernard is wonderful, and his homemade rum punch is even more so.

I posted the same question on the St. Maarten boards and got a response about several places in Marigot. Actually, I was just told that there are several near the ferry terminal and to look at menus to decide what I want. I don't know if you've been to Marigot on market day, but I have and will be next week. I love to see what the local artisans have to sell. Some of it is cheap stuff - made in China or somewhere or t-shirts - but there are also people selling their own jewelry and other things. Fun to look at even without buying.

Beth

Hi All!

Just checking in and to say hi. I love all of the conversaton about your upcoming cruises (which I am not on! :mad:) but I learn so much from you all. Nothing new here. I just found out at work that they are increasing our vacation time by 1 week for each year; very nice benefit, more cruise time possible. Seems all are well; hope so. :)

Hi All!

Just checking in and to say hi. I love all of the conversaton about your upcoming cruises (which I am not on! :mad:) but I learn so much from you all. Nothing new here. I just found out at work that they are increasing our vacation time by 1 week for each year; very nice benefit, more cruise time possible. Seems all are well; hope so. :)

Oh, but you do have two cruises planned - and the time will pass more quickly than you can imagine.

Great to have an extra week's vacation time.

Beth

Hi All!

Congrats on having more vacation time - so... if a person has been there 20 yrs, he/she has 20 more weeks!! carol

Oh, but you do have two cruises planned - and the time will pass more quickly than you can imagine.

Great to have an extra week's vacation time.

Beth

Loved you day at the beach with your friend-

Still celebrating Narce's birthday- simple things but nice --

carol

Congrats on having more vacation time - so... if a person has been there 20 yrs, he/she has 20 more weeks!! carol

Oops! I guess that is how it sounds when I read it; I wish! No they just adjusted (increased) the amount of vac time we get.

I celebrated my b-day for a full week so I understand the celebrating of your husband's b-day for a few days. :)

Back to work tomorrow.....

Quiet weekend - on purpose. There was a street fair downtown, but I didn't go. Maybe next year.

Tomorrow I'm going to start a packing list for my cruise. I'll need one warm outfit since I'll have two nights and a day in NYC. Thankfully I'm a good packer, plus I simply don't need to take a lot of clothes and no more than 4 pairs of shoes - only 3 pairs if not going to be in New York.

I'm also buying clothes for my cruise up the Norwegian coast. I don't want to spend an arm and a leg on clothes I won't need here along the coast, but I also don't want to freeze in the cold Norwegian winter.

So, I found some snow boots that are light weight and very comfy and can be used as rain boots. I've ordered some plain thermal underwear and an inexpensive pair of ski pants. I have also bought a light weight quilted down vest which will be great for winters here without a coat. I also bought a knit cap when I was at the beach - picture attached, not best of me especially since my bangs were under the cap.

Hope all is well with everyone.

Beth

909617606_bethinknitcap2.jpg.450ec8f07d07f143c5ec7ed974578246.jpg

Oops! I guess that is how it sounds when I read it; I wish! No they just adjusted (increased) the amount of vac time we get.

I celebrated my b-day for a full week so I understand the celebrating of your husband's b-day for a few days. :)

Back to work tomorrow.....

Actually, he'll celebrate for weeks to come!! ha!ha! we used to be on cruises on his exact date - miss doing that - since we are 3 week apart, it worked for both of us! carol

I am so excited about your cruises Beth - when we go to Ft Laud. in Dec, I have to dress for cold temps from here to Oakland then warm temps once we reach Fl and the Caribbean - then bring my jacket for flying to Oakland again and the ride home - I am trying to mix/match outfits... not bring that much either as I hate to pull/push my own luggages -- carol

Today's my birthday and everyone is gone....just me and a few fish in my aquarium! So, I will celebrate with the over 55 group! Actually my family was here yesterday, at least 16 of us! Best part about this whole thing, I thought I was a year older than I am....just realized it a few weeks ago!...Woo Hoo!

Today's my birthday and everyone is gone....just me and a few fish in my aquarium! So, I will celebrate with the over 55 group! Actually my family was here yesterday, at least 16 of us! Best part about this whole thing, I thought I was a year older than I am....just realized it a few weeks ago!...Woo Hoo!

First, Happy Birthday! Enjoy your solitude after your day with family.

My birthday is in November, but somehow or other until I reached my "maturity" I seemed to always get into my head that with the new calendar year I was already the age I'd be in November - i.e. if I had just turned 49 in November I would think myself 50 as soon as January came around. Never made sense. Now I hold on to my real age as long as possible!!!

Beth

Happy Birthday!!! and many many more!

I will get that birthday chart started --

I know Beth's is Nov 13...

Hubby did a quiet birthday too from Thurs to Yesterday - however, when our nieces/nephews can come up with a date when they can all come over, the party will start and go on til we are all partied out!! ha!ha!

carol

First, Happy Birthday! Enjoy your solitude after your day with family.

My birthday is in November, but somehow or other until I reached my "maturity" I seemed to always get into my head that with the new calendar year I was already the age I'd be in November - i.e. if I had just turned 49 in November I would think myself 50 as soon as January came around. Never made sense. Now I hold on to my real age as long as possible!!!

Beth

I've been doing that too!! telling myself and others I am a year more than I actually am!! scarey cuz i am a lot of years!! ha!ha! carol

Quiet weekend - on purpose. There was a street fair downtown, but I didn't go. Maybe next year.

Tomorrow I'm going to start a packing list for my cruise. I'll need one warm outfit since I'll have two nights and a day in NYC. Thankfully I'm a good packer, plus I simply don't need to take a lot of clothes and no more than 4 pairs of shoes - only 3 pairs if not going to be in New York.

I'm also buying clothes for my cruise up the Norwegian coast. I don't want to spend an arm and a leg on clothes I won't need here along the coast, but I also don't want to freeze in the cold Norwegian winter.

So, I found some snow boots that are light weight and very comfy and can be used as rain boots. I've ordered some plain thermal underwear and an inexpensive pair of ski pants. I have also bought a light weight quilted down vest which will be great for winters here without a coat. I also bought a knit cap when I was at the beach - picture attached, not best of me especially since my bangs were under the cap.

Hope all is well with everyone.

Beth

This is what 1/2 of my wardrobe is like...I live in MN and would have all of those things already! Do not forget gloves. :)