They Can't Cut Back Any More ... Or Can They?

jewopaho

I just received the following e-mail message as part of an ad from my online TA ...

"Due to policy changes by Carnival Cruise Lines, onboard credits will no longer be offered as of August 1, 2012 ...."

Has anyone else heard of this? Does it only apply to this TA ... all TA's ... all fares, no matter how booked? If true, will prices be reduced commensurately? I'm trying to ferret out some more information, thus far without success. Before I launch into a diatribe, I'd like to know that what I'm concluding is factual.

Anybody????

Factual, but it has little to othing to do with Carnival's bottom line, it is more an issue to help the smaller TAs be able to compete as I understand it at least.

Do you really believe CCL is doing this out of an intense need to help the little guy??????

REALLY? :confused:

Do you really believe CCL is doing this out of an intense need to help the little guy??????

REALLY? :confused:

The TAs are paying the same price to Carnival for the cabbins, OBC or not ... So where does Carnival proffit on it?

Factual, but it has little to othing to do with Carnival's bottom line, it is more an issue to help the smaller TAs be able to compete as I understand it at least.

Not correct. In the past, the goodies offered did help to draw business their way. As of this month, TA's cannot lure you with these extra goodies, they must charge exactly as Carnival with no incentives to lure you to that TA.

Thanks ... I figured that some of you had this information already. What this does is further validate my contention that Carnival is targeting the vast untapped market of first-time cruisers (who have no clue about OBC), at the expense of us veterans. I was seriously considering moving my already-booked Royal Caribbean cruise out of Galveston to the new Magic ... but relinquishing over $200 in RCI onboard credit makes no sense.

Now to call Carnival to see if my future cruise certificate is refundable ... I think I already know the answer. If it's no, then I'll just be on the lookout for a cheapie Pack & Go fare sometime down the line.

Amazing!!!

The TAs are paying the same price to Carnival for the cabbins, OBC or not ... So where does Carnival proffit on it?

It removes the advantage T/As had over booking direct -- it will most likely chip away at T/A business until they are cut out entirely. Most informed, regular cruisers don't need advice from a travel agent, they just want the best price.

Huh, we have been using the same TA since the early 90s and have never received an OBC or any goodies. Perhaps because our group can be as many as 55 people on average. Me thinks that for our next cruise I will check the TA's group rate against the ES rate. The cocktail hour is not important to me:rolleyes:

Thanks ... I figured that some of you had this information already. What this does is further validate my contention that Carnival is targeting the vast untapped market of first-time cruisers (who have no clue about OBC), at the expense of us veterans. I was seriously considering moving my already-booked Royal Caribbean cruise out of Galveston to the new Magic ... but relinquishing over $200 in RCI onboard credit makes no sense.

Now to call Carnival to see if my future cruise certificate is refundable ... I think I already know the answer. If it's no, then I'll just be on the lookout for a cheapie Pack & Go fare sometime down the line.

Amazing!!!

Sounds like a lot of jumping to conclusions. I always have $200 OBC on Carnival .. which is darn hard to get on RCL. Carnival still allows you to combine stock and FCC OBCs but RCL doesnt .. point to Carnival.

Yes, of course you can cancel your FCC .. be our guest, no problem, they will be only too glad to do it.

Sounds like the fact your TA cant sneak OBC under the table to you has you pretty much in a bad mood to be upset and jumping to illogical conclusions.

I love RCL .. dont get me wrong, but the things you are upset about are things .. point to Carnival, not RCL.

I think most in the travel industry are taking steps to encourage the public to do business direct with the travel supplier and cut out the expense of a third party agent. Most folks today are getting pretty used to dealing with companies direct thru the internet. This is especially true with the younger crowd targeted by Carnival.

It's been my experience that a travel agent offers no real advantage and by dealing direct with the airlines, cruise line or hotel I am able eliminate much of the confusion caused by the intervention of an agency. Things are just different in the post internet days and travel agents are probably a dying breed.

The less OBC you have the more money Carnival is going to get when you spend onboard..So the TA is giving you money that Carnival can not receive....Dennis

What is the big deal about on board credit? Carnival has to administer this & I'm sure it takes staff time. Then there is always the TA who doesn't follow through. Pretty hard to correct if you don't find out til you're on the ship

If travel agents want to pick up cruise business, why not advertise a "rebate" of x amount on say all Alaska cruises? If your travel agent sends you a $100 check after you get back what could Carnival or any other cruise line do?

Amazing!!!

I have only purchased and used one FCC but it was my understanding that you could get your original $100 that you paid for it back. BUT lately with the "attitude of not being concerned" from Carnival regarding many aspects of their operations, I bet it would be difficult actually getting your money back.

I have only purchased and used one FCC but it was my understanding that you could get your original $100 that you paid for it back. BUT lately with the "attitude of not being concerned" from Carnival regarding many aspects of their operations, I bet it would be difficult actually getting your money back.

Ill take that bet. I bet its easy to say I want to cancel and get your money back on your credit card. Thats why it is charged separate from your S&S account.

How much did you want to bet??

Lots of good points here, as usual. Here's my take ...

I do believe that Carnival's not-so-hidden agenda is to encourage direct booking ... why else would they tout that "110% price guarantee?" By eliminating the value-added incentives offered by many travel agents, there is absolutely no advantage to booking outside the cruise line. Sure, there's the matter of personal service, and some people want or need it ... but lots of us oldtimers know as much (if not more) than most TA's do, and booking a cruise is a matter of routine. Going online through CCL or a TA ... not much difference there either.

My $100 future cruise certificate is refundable. Of course, I'd be losing the OBC (another $100, which would not be affected by this new policy) so I must decide whether I should wait until that Pack & Go fare comes along (I've gotten seven-nighters for as low as $350) or just retrieve it, so that Carnival won't be making any more money by letting it compound further. Decisions, decisions ....

Actually, I've never sailed Royal Caribbean without at least $100 OBC, whether it be from my TA, the future cruise credit, Crown & Anchor deals, "Wow" sales, or a combination thereof. My upcoming December cruise will have $200 in the "bank."

My TA "sneaking" me some OBC doesn't enter into any of this. The new regime has changed the face of Carnival, much to my dissatisfaction ... once again, they're going after the newbies while virtually disregarding the loyalty shown by past guests all these years.

Carnival couldn't care less about helping the "little guy." They advertise that they'll beat anyone's prices, right? Disregard the fact that they set them and don't permit discounting. So if someone looking for a cruise logs in and sees that Carnival's prices are the lowest possible, why would they look anywhere else?

Well, enough of this. It's on to something of greater importance. Today is the day I rearrange my sock drawer. Smooth sailing to all, OBC or not!

Al

Sounds like a lot of jumping to conclusions. I always have $200 OBC on Carnival .. which is darn hard to get on RCL. Carnival still allows you to combine stock and FCC OBCs but RCL doesnt .. point to Carnival.

Yes, of course you can cancel your FCC .. be our guest, no problem, they will be only too glad to do it.

Sounds like the fact your TA cant sneak OBC under the table to you has you pretty much in a bad mood to be upset and jumping to illogical conclusions.

I love RCL .. dont get me wrong, but the things you are upset about are things .. point to Carnival, not RCL.

My TA, along with several others I have seen online, openly offer OBC. Sometimes its a certain amount, sometimes its a percentage of the base tariff. These offers are on the web site openly advertised and if you call them, they are happy to talk to you about it. There is no question of them trying to "sneak OBC under the table" and I didn't read anything in the OP's posts that indicated they were trying to sneak him/her OBC under the table either. I wouldn't jump to conclusions that any TA's are trying to sneak anyone anything. Its a well known practice followed by a lot of TA's. And its not just online TA's - mine has a large net presence but also a bricks and mortar presence and they have always offered OBC.

My TA, along with several others I have seen online, openly offer OBC. Sometimes its a certain amount, sometimes its a percentage of the base tariff. These offers are on the web site openly advertised and if you call them, they are happy to talk to you about it. There is no question of them trying to "sneak OBC under the table" and I didn't read anything in the OP's posts that indicated they were trying to sneak him/her OBC under the table either. I wouldn't jump to conclusions that any TA's are trying to sneak anyone anything. Its a well known practice followed by a lot of TA's. And its not just online TA's - mine has a large net presence but also a bricks and mortar presence and they have always offered OBC.

Im surprised they can do that on a site that you dont have to sign into first. Carnival already had in place rules that only allowed a very tiny OBC since its a form of discounting.

Are you sure you dont have to sign in to see this advertising?

My TA has a round about way of discounting .. so it is still done. But the prices and OBC are not allowed to be openly advertised. This has not changed. My TA is still discounting btw .. nothing has changed. Those that know how to get around the rules are still going to do it.

bingo.

Im surprised they can do that on a site that you dont have to sign into first.

You can see that OBC will be offered...you can only see the amount after signing in.

It costs nothing except 3 seconds of one's time to register with an agency like this.

They're not taking away OBC's you were ALREADY offered. They just won't let TA's offer any special OBC's, free travel insurance, etc. INCLUDING no rebates, after that date.

If TA's try to "sneak" anything in behind the scenes, and Carnival finds out about it, they will be banned from booking clients on any of the Carnival owned cruise lines. I doubt any TA will want to take that chance.

They're not taking away OBC's you were ALREADY offered. They just won't let TA's offer any special OBC's, free travel insurance, etc. INCLUDING no rebates, after that date.

If TA's try to "sneak" anything in behind the scenes, and Carnival finds out about it, they will be banned from booking clients on any of the Carnival owned cruise lines. I doubt any TA will want to take that chance.

This is all correct...the only issue is CCL was never big on offering their own OBC.

The most OBC I ever got from Carnival was the $100 that we used to be able to get booking a group cruise. Any other OBC I got was from the TA

Ill take that bet. I bet its easy to say I want to cancel and get your money back on your credit card. Thats why it is charged separate from your S&S account.

How much did you want to bet??

Last week on the Valor, it was added to the sign and sail. On RCI it was charged separately on the credit card.

Archived