Carnival Dream vs. Freedom of the Seas

J&K08

FOTS is 154,407 Tons, 3634 double occupancy

Dream is 134,000 Tons, 3652 double occumancy

So raw stats reveal a slightly better passenger to space ratio.

Underneath the stats, not only are there more 3 and 4th occupancy cabins on Dream, but usually the 3rd and 4th passenger rates are significantly lower than say - an inside cabin across the hall. So there are more third and 4th bunks and they are filled more often.

I personally believe the dual dining room layout on most carnival ships has the Galley blocking off a deck or two and this affects traffic patterns in ways that make the interitor public spaces feel crowded. I believe the interior promenade, with a free food venue, on Freedom, attacts more poeple than the walk-around outdoor promenande on the Dream class. Carnival compromised the privacy of many of the balcony cabins to build the outhdoor promenande, but there is not much going on there to attract people away from the top decks.

Next week on Magic, we don't intend to fight for space at serenity or the pool decks. We'll be on the promenade and we'll move topside once early seating clears the upper decks.

We have been looking at this also, we are planning another family cruise for next March and are considering Port Canaveral. There is 6 of us total going (2 cabins, us with the kids in one, and my parents in the other), so FOS would be $1200+ more than the Dream. I am having a hard time justifying that, especially since we both have FCC we could use for the Dream. This thread has me questioning that though.

Freedom of the Seas!! I have been on both. Freedom is almost as big as the Dream , The Freedom is laid out better. Crew to cruisers is a better ratio than Dream. MDR better service on F.O.S.

[QUOTE=babyblue78;34628486]We have been looking at this also, we are planning another family cruise for next March and are considering Port Canaveral. There is 6 of us total going (2 cabins, us with the kids in one, and my parents in the other), so FOS would be $1200+ more than the Dream. I am having a hard time justifying that, especially since we both have FCC we could use for the Dream. This thread has me questioning that though.

Just compared OV prices on both ships for the same dates (Dream sails Saturday, Freedom Sunday). They do opposite routes, so had to look at previous week to compare Eastern vs. Western. FOS $258.50 higher on 1 and $308 on the other for 2 people. As we did not care for Dream (mainly layout and size) will keep watch to get a price closer to CCL.

Freedom of the Seas!! I have been on both. Freedom is almost as big as the Dream , The Freedom is laid out better. Crew to cruisers is a better ratio than Dream. MDR better service on F.O.S.

FOS is actually larger than Dream and carries less passengers (double occupancy).

We have been looking at this also, we are planning another family cruise for next March and are considering Port Canaveral. There is 6 of us total going (2 cabins, us with the kids in one, and my parents in the other), so FOS would be $1200+ more than the Dream. I am having a hard time justifying that, especially since we both have FCC we could use for the Dream. This thread has me questioning that though.

How old are your kids??

This may be apples and oranges. The reason RCCL is more expensive is they have tried to maintain the quality of the product and make fewer cuts. It seems CCL is becoming more of a budget line line Norwegian used to be. We are booked on the Dream to give CCL another try in September. Probably the last chance. We know you get what you pay for and 3 out of 4 people enjoying it isn't that bad. We will be objective after experiences on all of the mass market lines. Let's see what happens.

We also going in september on the Dream and know what we are "giving up" by not going on the Freedom of the Seas, but we have been on the FOS four times and her sister ship the LOS twice in the past 6 years and just need a change of scenery. Im going with an open frame of mine and knowing what we giving up so this cruise should be very enjoyable.

We had a choice between Carnival Dream and NCL Sun. Everyone said take Carnival, however, I don't like all these cut backs that Carnival has put in place. The only way to tell Carnival we don't like these changes is to stop booking them.

We have choices. I just got home from a HAL cruise to Alaska. Way better than Carnival and cheaper too.

We need to put our money where our mouth is.

I appreciate all the responses. I canceled my Dream booking and booked in the FOS. Spending so much money I would rather spend a bit extra to be on a ship with more consistency in its reviews. Especially when almost 100% of the responses on the Carnival board say take the FOS.

Carnival said we have 2 years to book on our leftover ES booking. We will book in 2 years for a cruise 1-2 years out from the booking. By then our DD's will be 6 -7 & 4-5 and we will try them out on a short cruise to the Bahamas to see how they do.

Again... Thanks for your input. Happy cruising.

I appreciate all the responses. I canceled my Dream booking and booked in the FOS. Spending so much money I would rather spend a bit extra to be on a ship with more consistency in its reviews. Especially when almost 100% of the responses on the Carnival board say take the FOS.

Carnival said we have 2 years to book on our leftover ES booking. We will book in 2 years for a cruise 1-2 years out from the booking. By then our DD's will be 6 -7 & 4-5 and we will try them out on a short cruise to the Bahamas to see how they do.

Again... Thanks for your input. Happy cruising.

I promise you, you won't be sorry. The FOS is a beautiful ship and definitely has more consistent positive reviews! :)

FREEDOM!

For all the reasons stated above and the ice show.

Did you read this before you posted? I can't dispute the other things, but on a Caribbean cruise, an f'ing ice show does not belong. Save that for those that get pissed it doesn't snow in June.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Did you read this before you posted? I can't dispute the other things, but on a Caribbean cruise, an f'ing ice show does not belong. Save that for those that get pissed it doesn't snow in June.

Did you look at my home location in the upper right corner before posting your obnoxious reply? It does not snow in February or June, in fact It seldom gets below 70 here. Something cool is always welcome and I would think a FL resident would get that. Don't know if you've seen one of these shows or not - but we found it to be great entertainment included in the price of the cruise. In addtion to two review shows (in a very nice theater), you get a third show (with at least a dozen extra entertainers) in a very different venue. Compare this to a "dark night" now imposed on Carnival 7 day sailings and the value is clear.

Underneath the stats, not only are there more 3 and 4th occupancy cabins on Dream, but usually the 3rd and 4th passenger rates are significantly lower than say - an inside cabin across the hall. So there are more third and 4th bunks and they are filled more often.

I think that used to be the case, but I am not finding that there is a huge savings (on a couple of sailings I have looked at) with 3rd/4th of late. Several years ago it seems that you could add additional people for almost half the 1st/2nd.

In 2010 I was surprised that my son and his three friends could be in a balcony cabin on the Solstice for LESS than the four of them on the Dream (IN AN INTERIOR!) and it all came down to the 3rd/4th rates. I was amazed (and booked the Solstice in a heartbeat)!

For our quickie on the Sensation in a couple of weeks, we are bringing our son and friends along again. It is cheaper to put the four of them in TWO cabins for two, rather than one quad. That stuck me as odd. Sadly, we can't take advantage of the (admittedly small) savings because they are all about 20 years old and we need an "adult" (25 in Carnival's book) in each cabin... Oddly, I just checked Royal Caribbean, and they indicate that someone needs to be 21+ in each cabin. You can bet when we do this again (when they are 21) that Carnival won't be our first choice!

BTW - I did check on what it would be to have two of them in our room (Owner's Suite, which can handle 5), and it was basically the same as all the other rates. WHERE ARE THE SAVINGS FOR 3rd/4th? !!! :eek:

Tom

PS -- just added the Oasis to our lineup - and the more I read, the more my anticipation builds!!

on a Caribbean cruise, an f'ing ice show does not belong.

Oddly, it does! :)

Like you, I found it odd that RCI installed ice skating rinks aboard their ships, but after attending a few ice shows, i realized that it's a VERY "cool" feature and a great addition!

IMHO, there's the people that have never cruised on RCI ships and are quick to dismiss all their innovative features, and there's the people who HAVE cruised on RCI ships and know from personal experience that these features are awesome.

I strongly dissagree with this comment. While you may not want to see an ice show or go skating while at sea, plenty of other people do. What you have to keep in mind is that while all those other crazy people are off doing that, there is more space in the places that you would want to be. Thats why RC handles crowds better then Carnival-they have all of those "crazy" options for entertainment to disperse the crowds! Yes, I like to get away from the winters here in Chicago, but unlike home, I can't leave an ice rink and then head outside to beautiful caribbean weather and look at the ocean. I've only utilized the ice rink a couple of times on our cruises, but it's there for entertainment for those that want it. Take it down a notch buddy....RC has these for a reason and apparently it's been working for them considering they continue to build new ships with them.

Like you, I found it odd that RCI installed ice skating rinks aboard their ships, but after attending a few ice shows, i realized that it's a VERY "cool" feature and a great addition!

IMHO, there's the people that have never cruised on RCI ships and are quick to dismiss all their innovative features, and there's the people who HAVE cruised on RCI ships and know from personal experience that these features are awesome.

Agree 100%. Don't knock it til you try it!! The only "different" feature that we really use on RC ships is the Flowrider (Freedom and Oasis class) but again, there are so many options that it prevents all 4000+ other pax from crowding around. We have only sailed 2 Carnival cruises so far and are looking at booking th Dream with family simply for the itinerary. And the fact that we were finally able to get an aft wrap (super excited about that!) However, we are going into this sailing prepared for crowds and a less then perfect time based on the reviews from past cruisers. We are still going enjoy it because it's vacation-hopefully we won't miss the "f'ing" ice rink too much ;)

Well, I guess I'm just the Florida crumudgeon. I thought it was stupid for Busch Gardens - Tampa to have an ice show and think the same for a Caribbean cruise....so I'm sorry if I don't think all innovative ideas are good. Save the ice shows for Alaska ;):D

Archived