Cruising out of NY in February

KieransMom

My family and I have cruised many times out of Florida. We are thinking about the Norwegian Breakaway out of New York in Feb 2014, but would like information on what it is like sailing out of a cold port. When are the pools/slides available? Are the decks accessible while in New York? I would really like to said on the Breakaway, but I'm wondering if we should wait until the Breakaway changes her homeport...

i just booked a cruise today out of new york for 1/17/13 on carnival miracle.:D

it will be cold and windy in ny in the winter month's. i know on the carnival miracle and pride out of baltimore they have a retractable roof over the main pool area so they can close it in bad or cold weather. not sure if the Norwegian Breakaway has a retractable roof but something to look into. if not you probably won't be getting into the pool until 2nd day when you get farther south around the carolina's.

you will definitely be able to go out onto the deck area's while in ny when you cruise out of the city. this is one of the main reasons i booked the cruise it should be breathtaking to cruise past the city and statue of liberty.

We have sailed out of NY/NJ many, many times and it depends. The first full day you are in the gulf stream and several times we were in the pool the afternoon of the first full day and we've been in the pool the last day prior to docking in NY/NJ the next morning. Sometimes it's been warmer the first full day, when we're off the coast of the Carolinas then the next day, when we're off the coast of Fla. Sometimes it's been cool and a bit chilly, but again, being in the jet stream, it's a little bit cool, it's never been "cold".

I've sailed on the Explorer 5 times in Feb. to the Caribbean. I always dress warmly and bring a hat and gloves so I can be outside for the sailaway. Usually the first sea day it is possible to be outside with no more than a sweater.

Check out the facilities on your ship. The EX has an indoor hot tub in the fitness center and at least 4 outdoor hot tubs, which IMO are better in the cooler weather than in the Caribbean heat and humidity. The solarium is not covered, but there are sheltered areas on the edges of both the solarium and main pool area. Plan to go outside even if it's not always in a bathing suit.

For me I'd rather have an easy trip to and from the port than spend a day in the airlines system getting to and from Florida or San Juan. As soon as I walk on the ship I'm on vacation!

Archived