Dining/General Questions for Newbie

hefty64

Hey everyone. I apologize in advance for asking questions that I am sure have been answered. I have spent 2 weeks reading these boards, but as you know some threads are hundreds of posts long. I do have 12 months until I cruise, but I have other things to do also! (And yes I have used the search engine several times). With that said, wanted to throw out a list of questions.. and again, I am a first time cruiser.

I will be on the Zuiderdam in Alaska in July, 2013

-Am I correct in understanding the Lido is essentially a buffet restaurant and no reservations are allowed or required to eat here?

-Is breakfast always served in the Lido? Am I correct in assuming the open or fixed dining option is only for dinner, and all dining (lunch and breakfast) other than dinner is "open". (Yes, I definitely know the different between open and any way you wish!)

-Is lunch served only in the Lido, and again, whether in the Lido or MDR, are reservations permitted/required?

-I have had one of my travelling partners tell me their travel agent told them that there was a difference in the way gratuities were handled for open dining as opposed to fixed dining. Is this true? If so, what is the difference?

-I have chosen open dining at this point but I am considering changing to fixed; however, I know I will not eat in the MDR during the formal nights and probably my travelling partners will not either. If I change to fixed but do not show up for the formal nights, will I be forced to "walk the gangplank" or will my fixed option be forfeited if we do not show up for 2 nights?

-If I am able to switch to fixed dining, am I correct in assuming I will be able to get a table for six with my other companions and no other folks sitted at the table?

-There is one other couple that is thinking about going with us, but will not make the decision for a couple months. If the rest of us are locked into fixed dining, is it reasonable to expect if they request fixed dining with us, we will be able to get a table for 8 3-4 months out?

-Is there a daily gratuity that is automatically added to your bill by HAL? If so, what is that amount?

Assuming there is a daily gratuity (seems like I read somewhere there was) added to your bill:

Is it customary to tip:

Dining Wait Staff?

Bartenders?

Room Stewards?

I will probably do so in either case, but just wanted to know, if they have "already been taken care of" with any gratuity that has been added to my bill, or for example, is my dining waiter depending upon a 15-20% gratuity for his livelihood?

Thanks so much!! Great boards and very active with great information. I am sure I will be back!

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

There is a Hotel Service Charge added onto your shipboard account each night. The amount depends on the cabin category that you have selected. For the PS and all Suites it is $12 per day per person. For the other categories it is $11.50 per person per day. The bars automatically add 15% for everything you order from them -- sodas, cocktails, wines, bottled water, etc. As for extra tips at the end of the cruise. That is up to you. We will give extra tips to our cabin stewards and dining room staff and to anyone else who has made our cruise an enjoyable one. People have all kinds of opinions concerning tipping in the Pinnacle -- some do and some don't. We do tip the wait staff there -- JMO.

As for dining --- if you want fixed dining and be able to have all 6 of you at the same table you need to have your TA link your reservation numbers to make this request. There is not a problem if you all decide not to have dinner in the dining room on formal night. Often we go to the Speciality restaurant -- Pinnacle on all ships and Tamarind on the Eurodam and Nieuw Amsterdam only -- and we always let our dining room stewards know that we won't be there.

For Breakfast you can eat in the Lido -- all buffet. You can also eat in the main dining room -- no reservations needed -- check your daily Explorer program for the times. Usually it will be open from 7:30 - 9 on port days and 8 - 9:30 on sea days. The entended breakfast menu is very good. If you are in a cabin category of PS, SA, SB or SC you can have breakfast in the Pinnacle Grill -- same times and same menu at he main dining room.

Lunch -- again all buffet in the Lido. The Lido usually opens for lunch at 11:30 and closes at different times depending on the Itinerary -- most times the main section of the Lido will close at 2:30. But the sandwich, desserts and pizza sections stay open longer. The dining room is not always open for lunch and no reservations are needed. Again check the daily Exporer for when it is open. On some ships when it is open -- the time will be from Noon until 1 PM or from Noon until 1:30 PM. There is also the Terrace Grill which opens at 11:30 and stays open until 6 PM.

Dinner in the Lido is from 5:30 until 8 or 8:30 -- and on some days may stay open until 9 -- port schedule is a factor here and you need to check your daily Explorer.

If you don't choose fixed dining the Open Seating is on the lower level of the dining room and is open from 5:30 until 9 PM for dinner. You can make reservations for certain times for about 3 days at a time.

And there is also Cabin Service. I will post the Breakfast and other menus in a moment.

Cabin Breakfast Menu

Preferred Time Frame

6 AM - 6:30 AM 7 AM - 7:30 AM 8 AM - 8:30 AM 9 AM - 9:30 AM

6:30 AM - 7 AM 7:30 AM - 8 AM 8:30 AM - 9 AM 9:30 AM - 10 AM

Juices

Grapefruit; Orange:; Cranberry; V-8; Prune, Tomato

Fresh Fruit

Half Grapefruit; Sliced Bananas; Diced Oranges; Mixed Fruit; Seasonal Melons; Stewed Prunes

Low Fat Yogurt

Plain; Fruit

Breads

English Muffin; White Toast; Wheat Toast; Rye Toast; Danish; Croissant; Blueberry Muffin; Bran Muffin; Bagel

Preserves

Assorted Jams; Marmalade; Honey; Butter; Margarine; Cream Cheese

Cereals

Corn Flakes; Special K; Mueslix; Raisin Bran; Granola; Fruit Loops; Frosted Flakes; Rice Krispies; Shredded Wheat

With: Milk; 2% Milk; Skim Milk

Eggs & Meats

Two Eggs: Scrambled or sunnyside up or over easy

Omelet: With Cheese or With Ham and Cheese

Eggbeaters: Scrambled or Omelet with Cheese or Omelet with Ham and Cheese

Meat: Ham or Sausage or Bacon

Beverages

Regular Coffee; Decaf Coffee; Tea; Hot Chocolate; Milk; 2% Milk; Skim Milk; Half & Half

If you can wait until the main dining room opens -- usually 7:30 on port days and 8 on sea days, you can write in anything you want like Eggs Benedict. Waffles, Chocolate croisonts, etc.

Hey everyone. I apologize in advance for asking questions that I am sure have been answered. I have spent 2 weeks reading these boards, but as you know some threads are hundreds of posts long. I do have 12 months until I cruise, but I have other things to do also! (And yes I have used the search engine several times). With that said, wanted to throw out a list of questions.. and again, I am a first time cruiser.

-Am I correct in understanding the Lido is essentially a buffet restaurant and no reservations are allowed or required to eat here?absolutely correct. In the Lido you choose your own table .

-Is breakfast always served in the Lido? Am I correct in assuming the open or fixed dining option is only for dinner, and all dining (lunch and breakfast) other than dinner is "open". (Yes, I definitely know the different between open and any way you wish!) breakfast is always available in the Lido and in the MDR. and yes, all breakfast and lunch is 'open'. You can request a table of x if you prefer and if they can accomodate they will.

-Is lunch served only in the Lido, and again, whether in the Lido or MDR, are reservations permitted/required? Lunch is often served in the MDR. No reservations. However you can request a certain sized table and if it's available you can get it

-I have had one of my travelling partners tell me their travel agent told them that there was a difference in the way gratuities were handled for open dining as opposed to fixed dining. Is this true? If so, what is the difference?

-I have chosen open dining at this point but I am considering changing to fixed; however, I know I will not eat in the MDR during the formal nights and probably my travelling partners will not either. If I change to fixed but do not show up for the formal nights, will I be forced to "walk the gangplank" or will my fixed option be forfeited if we do not show up for 2 nights? We prefer fixed, but that is us. If you change there is no problem if you are not at the MDR for dinner. We normally let our waiter and our fellow diners know that we will not be there for dinner.

-If I am able to switch to fixed dining, am I correct in assuming I will be able to get a table for six with my other companions and no other folks sitted at the table?your TA can request a table for 6. Normally, if they are available the request will be granted. If all the tables of 6 are booked, you could end up with an 8. That being the case there may be another couple joining you and there may not (it might just be for you)

-There is one other couple that is thinking about going with us, but will not make the decision for a couple months. If the rest of us are locked into fixed dining, is it reasonable to expect if they request fixed dining with us, we will be able to get a table for 8 3-4 months out?really depends upon your sailing. Fixed dining can fill up quickly. I would be more tempted to have the TA request it now. You can easily flip it back to open - or even change to open when you get on board if you don't like fixed.

-Is there a daily gratuity that is automatically added to your bill by HAL? If so, what is that amount? yes. it is automatically added. $11.50 per day per person (suites are $12 per day)

Assuming there is a daily gratuity (seems like I read somewhere there was) added to your bill:

Is it customary to tip:

Dining Wait Staff?

Bartenders?

Room Stewards?

I will probably do so in either case, but just wanted to know, if they have "already been taken care of" with any gratuity that has been added to my bill, or for example, is my dining waiter depending upon a 15-20% gratuity for his livelihood? Your staff are depending upon you honouring the ship charge which is charged daily (or gratuity). Tipping extra is totally up to you. If you have been happy then we traditionally tip extra to those who have made our cruise enjoyable such as the room stewards, dining staff, wine steward, certain bar staff, etc. There is NO requirement to do so. Some of us do and some of us don't - your daily charge covers your tip so this is above and beyond:)

Thanks so much!! Great boards and very active with great information. I am sure I will be back!

Welcome to cruise critic:) I have tried to answer some of your questions in red above. I can't answer the open dining question as we have never done open dining yet:rolleyes: Hopefully someone else can help you here.

Good questions by the way - enjoy your cruise:)

Available 24 hours:

Smoked Atlantic Salmon - pickled red onion, capers & cream cheese

Mesclun Garden Greens - tomato, cucumber, alfalfa sprouts & blue cheese crumbles

Triple Decker Club Sandwich - sliced turkey, ham, bacon, tomato & lettuce served on toasted bread of your choice

All American Hamburger - broiled 1/4 pound beef patty on a sesame bun with dill pickle & coleslaw - add cheddar or Swiss cheese

Open faced Omelet - ham & cheese or vegetables

Selection of assorted cheese with crackers

Apple tart with whipped cream

Chocolate cake with raspberry sauce

A plate of chocolate chip cookies with a glass of milk

Fruit salad - selected fruits in season

Available from 12 noon until 10 PM:

Appetizers & Soups:

Bay shrimp cocktail with cocktail sauce

Smoked Atlantic Salmon

French onion soup baked with Gruyere cheese

Soup of the day

Salads:

Mesclun Garden Greens

Chef salad - mixed greens, ham, salami, swiss cheese, turkey, hard boiled egg - choice of Italian or blue cheese dressing

Caesar salad - tossed with Caesar dressing, croutons & parmesan - add bay shrimp or grilled chicken breast

Sandwiches & Burgers:

All are served with a choice of potato salad or potato chips

Triple decker club sandwich

Broiled California chicken breast sandwich on multi=grain bread with avocado & honey mustard sauce

Grilled tuna melt - tuna salad & Swiss cheese on rye bread with pickle spears

Thai Vegetarian wrap - eggplant, bamboo shoots, bean sprouts & cilantro rolled with rice & green curry sauce in a tomato tortilla

Steak sandwich - sirloin steak on sourdough bread sauteed with onion & bell pepper

All American Hamburger

Entrees:

Seared salmon steak - dill-lime fusion, broccoli florets, carrot batonnet & country mashed potatoes

Penne Primavera - tossed in marinara sauce with Italian roasted vegetables - add grilled chicken breast

Pizza:

margarita (tomato sauce & cheese)

Pepperoni

Vegetarian (mushroom & bell pepper)

Desserts:

Apple tart

Chocolate cake

Creme caramel surrounded in berry compote

Fruit jello

fruit salad

Vanilla ice cream with chocolate sauce

Selection of assorted cheese with crackers

And remember that you can always order from the dinner menu. Just remember to order within the first half hour to an hour from when the dinning room opens. You can select whatever time you want to eat. Just check with the dining room manager as to what the rules for your ship as to what time you need to place your dinner order. The menus are posted outside the main dining room starting around lunch time and in all bars/lounges.

With regard to open dining question, when you have a reserved 'fixed' seating, this is yours. It will not be changed. If you do not show for the timeslot on any given day, your 'fixed' will likely be given to someone with an 'open' slot....just for that day. At least I think this is correct info....

With regard to open dining question, when you have a reserved 'fixed' seating, this is yours. It will not be changed. If you do not show for the timeslot on any given day, your 'fixed' will likely be given to someone with an 'open' slot....just for that day. At least I think this is correct info....

Yes, they can - I think they call you though - when we were on the Prinsendam we had a call as we had reservations in the Pinnacle - they called and asked if we still intended to dine there and asked if we minded if others used our spot that night:) Didn't happen on the Maasdam so it might depend upon the 'demand' for that time slot and/or how many are in open dining?

I didn't see this question specifically answered, so I do want it clear---if that is what the TA meant, that TA is mistaken.

Open or fixed seating makes no difference in how gratuities/hotel service charge is handled on HAL. I do believe there is a difference on some other lines, so that could be where the mistake came from.

The only dfference in how gratuities are handled, that we have encountered, relates to timing. When we select open seating in the MDR on Celebrity , the gratuites are paid in advance - when our final cruise payment is made. Princess and HAL charge gratuities to you cabin on a daily basis. These are payable at the end of the cruise.

Great ship, you will enjoy your cruise.

-Am I correct in understanding the Lido is essentially a buffet restaurant and no reservations are allowed or required to eat here?

Yes

-Is breakfast always served in the Lido? Am I correct in assuming the open or fixed dining option is only for dinner, and all dining (lunch and breakfast) other than dinner is "open". (Yes, I definitely know the different between open and any way you wish!)

Yes and breakfast is served in the MDR too! Open seating for both breakfast and lunch in the MDR.

-Is lunch served only in the Lido, and again, whether in the Lido or MDR, are reservations permitted/required?

Lunch served in Lido - MDR - Pinnacle Grill. No reservation required except for the Pinacle Grill.

No

-I have chosen open dining at this point but I am considering changing to fixed; however, I know I will not eat in the MDR during the formal nights and probably my travelling partners will not either. If I change to fixed but do not show up for the formal nights, will I be forced to "walk the gangplank" or will my fixed option be forfeited if we do not show up for 2 nights?

No gangplanks. Just tell your MDR steward that you won't be there on those nights.

-If I am able to switch to fixed dining, am I correct in assuming I will be able to get a table for six with my other companions and no other folks sitted at the table?

Probably

-There is one other couple that is thinking about going with us, but will not make the decision for a couple months. If the rest of us are locked into fixed dining, is it reasonable to expect if they request fixed dining with us, we will be able to get a table for 8 3-4 months out?

Yes just have your TA link your reservations together.

-Is there a daily gratuity that is automatically added to your bill by HAL? If so, what is that amount?

Yes, 11.50 a day per person. Suites are 12 a day per person.

Is it customary to tip:

Dining Wait Staff?

Bartenders?

Room Stewards?

If one of these people or all have gone beyond the call of duty and you want to tip more, you can.

I will probably do so in either case, but just wanted to know, if they have "already been taken care of" with any gratuity that has been added to my bill, or for example, is my dining waiter depending upon a 15-20% gratuity for his livelihood?

Yes that is what the 11.50 a day is for.

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

Archived