Buenos Aires Post Cruise in January??

DW and I are contemplating spending a week or so post cruise in Buenos Aires next January. Some have said this is the absolute worst time to be there as it would be miserably hot and humid, much like DC in the dog days of July. We are cool foggy coasters, and don't want to melt!! It would be nice to land tour if we are there. What do those experienced in things BA and thereabouts think?? Thanks in advance...

Buenos Aires is wonderful. We spent 12 days there in early 2010 and we are going back in 2014. February for us both times. I would not worry about the weather.

Make sure you

go to all the different areas of the city -- each is unique

take tango lessons

watch the locals tango at a milonga in the wee hours of the morning

spend a night or two at Iguazu Falls

go to an estancia and experience the gaucho life

eat fabulous Italian food and great steaks for "peanuts"

shop on Florida street -- amazing bargains in leather --

Buenos Aires is truly the Paris of South America. We cannot wait to go back!!!

We spent a wonderful week in BA in 2009 - not cruise related. Went in February and had a combination of great, sunny weather and brief, heavy rainstorms.

It is a marvelous city and I second pacheco18's suggestions, with two additions. First, a day trip across the river to Colonia del Sacramento in Uruguay was quite worthwhile. Second, for visiting all the areas of the city, walk! It is a great city for walking, with broad boulevards, lots of parks, and plenty of variety. We walked at least five miles a day. Side benefit, all those steaks and great Italian food didn't cause too much damage.

We spent a wonderful week in BA in 2009 - not cruise related. Went in February and had a combination of great, sunny weather and brief, heavy rainstorms.

It is a marvelous city and I second pacheco18's suggestions, with two additions. First, a day trip across the river to Colonia del Sacramento in Uruguay was quite worthwhile. Second, for visiting all the areas of the city, walk! It is a great city for walking, with broad boulevards, lots of parks, and plenty of variety. We walked at least five miles a day. Side benefit, all those steaks and great Italian food didn't cause too much damage.

I totally agree with the walking!!!!!

I don't feel the same about Colonia. We did not find it interesting at all (which is why I did not include it in my list). Different strokes LOL

A good way to see all the areas of the city is to take the Hop ON Hop Off for an overview. Then you can walk each area and explore it thoroughly.

DW and I are contemplating spending a week or so post cruise in Buenos Aires next January. Some have said this is the absolute worst time to be there as it would be miserably hot and humid, much like DC in the dog days of July. We are cool foggy coasters, and don't want to melt!! It would be nice to land tour if we are there. What do those experienced in things BA and thereabouts think?? Thanks in advance...

I have been in BA the last week of January and the weather was beautiful. Warm but very comfortable for walking.

We were in Buenos Aires for a week several years ago. It was in July and winter over there. I found the weather nice but people were wearing coats, gloves, and scarves. We went to Iguazu for three day and I highly recommend it. The falls are incredible. We stayed at the Sheraton which is right inside the park. Buenos Aires was beautiful, very European like, and very inexpensive. Enjoy!

BA is one of my favorite cities in the world and I wouldn't hesitate for a moment to go in January. As mentioned walk everywhere you can and take taxis when you can't. They are very reasonable but be sure you have your hotel or restaurant call them for you. Enjoy!

You have benn given great suggestiions. Jan should be warm and sunny...we were there twice in Jan and did not find it too warm, also there in Feb and had very nice weather.

Visit the different areas of the city....San Telmo (a great Sunday market, but anytime is good), La Boca, La Recoleta, Florida Street area for the great shopping and, if you can, check out the Sunday brunch at the Hotel Alvear Palace. it is a wonderful hotel near La Recoleta. Also do the Tigre River Delta tour.....if you have a chance eat lunch at Gato Blance in the Delta area. There is so much to see and some good food to be enjoyed! Be sure to take in a Tango show or at least enjoy one while enjoying an open air cafe on the Square in San Telmo!

We did Colonia as a Mariner tour from Montevideo in 2011 as we had wanted to go there from Buenos Aires, just a ferry ride away, but ran out of time. We loved the little town, the history and the old buildings are wonderful. We also had a great lunch at Meson de la Plaza on the plaza across from the cathredal. It would be a great day trip from Buenos Aires for the meal alone.

Definitely if you have two days and a night...catch the earliest flight from Buenos Aires to Iguazu Falls and stay at the Sherton (in a Falls view room if you can get one, though you only see the vapor rising off the Fall, it is still worth it for the view of the park at sun rise) The hotel is right next to the different walks to the Falls so you can spend every minute the park is open walking the trails, no need catch the bus or taxi back to your hotel at the Park entrance.

See both sides..it is worth it to go to the Brazil side also..a taxi ride away and well worth the cost of the visa to do it. Take the last flight back to Buenos Aires the next afternoon. That gives you plenty of time to see all the circuits around the Falls. Every view is magnificent!!! We have been to Niagara Falls, Victoria Falls and Iguazu Falls ...Iguazu is the best, hands down.

I arranged the Iguaza side trip myself direct with the airlines and the hotel...easy to do on line! Then once you are there you can do all the circuits on your own...well marked trails no need for a guide. You can catch a taxi to the Brazil side at the hotel...the driver will stay with you the whole time.

Enjoy!!!

Wow. So much good information...FYI I remember Pacheco aka Laraine from Paul Gaugin several years ago. In any event BA it is...could anyone of you recommend a modern, well located hotel to use as our base?? Or even what neighborhood to use as a base...Recoleta?

We have not stayed at the Marriott, though it looks nice from the outside and is near the shopping district.

We love the Hotel Alvear Palace, walking distance to Recoleta Cemetery and in an up scale area with some nice small shops and cafes. The service in this hotel was some of the best we have ever had and it is a beautiful old hotel...classic Buenos Aires. Have also stayed at the Four Seasons, very nice also, but think if I was staying in that area again I would go with the Marriott.

We have found taxis cheap and easy to use so it really doesn't matter too much...all three are nice hotels.

We have not stayed at the Marriott, though it looks nice from the outside and is near the shopping district.

We love the Hotel Alvear Palace, walking distance to Recoleta Cemetery and in an up scale area with some nice small shops and cafes. The service in this hotel was some of the best we have ever had and it is a beautiful old hotel...classic Buenos Aires. Have also stayed at the Four Seasons, very nice also, but think if I was staying in that area again I would go with the Marriott.

We have found taxis cheap and easy to use so it really doesn't matter too much...all three are nice hotels.

The price difference between the two is HUGE!!

Yes sometimes, but they also have some great specials and Amex and Chase travel may have good deals on the Palace.

If beautiful classic hotels are appealing, check the Alvear Palace out, there may be a good price to be had or it may be worth it to you to have the experience. it was to us. The Sunday bruynch is to die for.

As I said, the Marriott looks very nice and gets good reviews. Many of the tour groups/ships use it as their hotel.

We stayed at the Marriott and found the service to be excellent. We were upgraded to a suite because I'm Platinum and it was beautiful. The Concierge's lounge was very nice too. The Marriott has a nice pool and a very good health club. It's very convenient to get everywhere. Walk and use taxis which are very inexpensive. The Concierges were very good. We walked to Alvear Palace from Marriott for drinks. The Marriott has a very good restaurant (albeit more expensive than other restaurants) with excellent food. Enjoy BA...it's a beautiful city.

Buenos Aires is wonderful. We spent 12 days there in early 2010 and we are going back in 2014. February for us both times. I would not worry about the weather.

Make sure you

go to all the different areas of the city -- each is unique

take tango lessons

watch the locals tango at a milonga in the wee hours of the morning

spend a night or two at Iguazu Falls

go to an estancia and experience the gaucho life

eat fabulous Italian food and great steaks for "peanuts"

shop on Florida street -- amazing bargains in leather --

Buenos Aires is truly the Paris of South America. We cannot wait to go back!!!

+1

Next time I want to go to the wine country.

+1

Next time I want to go to the wine country.

Ahhhhh, Mendoza, great wine, great food, great place to stay. Definitely worth going to and returning again and again!

Archived