Virgin Atlantic fussy about carry on weight?

Noticed that there is a "limit" for carry ons (weight ) on Virgin Atlantic Flight ---direct from EWR - LHR. Has anyone encounteed a problem?

I did. A roving gate agent made me have my carry on weighed. Only time ever I had that happen. It was a medium sized backpack, not a rolling bag, and it was a couple of pounds over the weight limit. (had a 4 lb laptop in the bag plus camera gear) I think their limit was 13 lbs. I had to take a few things out of my backpack and transfer it to my checked bag to get under the limit. On the way back at Heathrow they did not weigh it, only at Newark.

At JFK the agent just looked at our carryons but while checking in at LHR the agent there weighed both of our carryons and told me mine was slightly over but let me go with it.

One the JFK-LHR leg I saw a lot of bags carried on that had to be more than 13 pounds.

PS: At LHR they have "repacking stations" with counters and scales so you can verify that you're under the limit before entering the line.

I've had my carryon weighed twice.

Once at Heathrow, where the woman told me to take something out because the bag was slightly over 13 lbs. Ihad nothing in there that I was comfortable putting in checked luggage. I took out my camera and put it on my shoulder. She weighed the bag, it was OK, and she put the "official" sticker on the bag. She had to know that I'd put the camera back in the bag as soon as I was around the corner. So she did me a favor.

The other time was at Newark, where the woman was unleasant. My carryon was slightly over, DH's was under. She sent us out of the line to redistribute our stuff.

I now weigh my carryon very carefully when I fly Virgin. I also try to handle carryon as if it weighs nothing. If you look burdened by it, they're more likely to weigh it.

Virgin does allow an additional "personal item," which can be a purse but NOT a briefcase or laptop case. This is a total PITA because the laptop has to come out for the x-ray, and it's a lot easier to do this when it's in a briefcase. I don't usually travel with a large purse, but I may do that, just to get my camera and a few other small but heavy items out of the carryon.

I've had my carryon weighed twice.

Once at Heathrow, where the woman told me to take something out because the bag was slightly over 13 lbs. Ihad nothing in there that I was comfortable putting in checked luggage. I took out my camera and put it on my shoulder. She weighed the bag, it was OK, and she put the "official" sticker on the bag. She had to know that I'd put the camera back in the bag as soon as I was around the corner. So she did me a favor.

The other time was at Newark, where the woman was unleasant. My carryon was slightly over, DH's was under. She sent us out of the line to redistribute our stuff.

I now weigh my carryon very carefully when I fly Virgin. I also try to handle carryon as if it weighs nothing. If you look burdened by it, they're more likely to weigh it.

Virgin does allow an additional "personal item," which can be a purse but NOT a briefcase or laptop case. This is a total PITA because the laptop has to come out for the x-ray, and it's a lot easier to do this when it's in a briefcase. I don't usually travel with a large purse, but I may do that, just to get my camera and a few other small but heavy items out of the carryon.

I think we might have had the same woman Virgin agent at Newark. I did not mention it but she was nasty about it.

Archived