Military Tatoo

I wonder if anyone attended the Tatoo in recent years? From reading some old posts, it sounds like the seats are small with very short leg room and a good amount of walking just to get up to that area. I also read somewhere that the stands were being renovated this year so wonder if that is no longer the situation.

If anyone has information on this, I would really appreciate hearing about it. While I've read that this is a "not to be missed" experience, I'm a bit concerned about sitting in uncomfortable, cramped seating with my back issues and also wonder just how much walking will be involved. We are on the Princess excursion.

Thanks for your help!

:)

Elaine

I wonder if anyone attended the Tatoo in recent years? From reading some old posts, it sounds like the seats are small with very short leg room and a good amount of walking just to get up to that area. I also read somewhere that the stands were being renovated this year so wonder if that is no longer the situation.

If anyone has information on this, I would really appreciate hearing about it. While I've read that this is a "not to be missed" experience, I'm a bit concerned about sitting in uncomfortable, cramped seating with my back issues and also wonder just how much walking will be involved. We are on the Princess excursion.

Thanks for your help!

Elaine

I haven't been in recent years, but have been many times. According to their website they now have premier seating with wider seats in one stand. This would be the east stand, where the salute is taken, and has the best view. But in fact, at the tattoo, all seats have good views. The stands are very sharply tiered, and the steps getting up the tiers are quite steep. Getting in and out of the tattoo is slow : the castle is at the top of a steep hill, the buses will drop you (if you are taking a coach tour) as close as possible, but it will still be a 5 minute uphill walk to the entrance. There will be a large, polite slow moving crowd, with the army doing spot checks of people's bags for security. You can hire cushions, they aren't very good, I would take my own.

From the tattoo website, it is clear that if you have mobility issues you can contact the office and they can make special arrangements.

Premier seating link :

http://www.edintattoo.co.uk/corporate-hospitality/premier-seating

Facilities for disabled link :

http://www.edintattoo.co.uk/tickets/facilities-the-disabled

I will see if I can persuade my husband to go up and take a look at the stands and report back.

Cheers, Roberta

Hello,

We have been for the past 5 years. You are correct in saying that the seating had very limited space. However, last year they started to use the new seating / stands and so much better for comfort and space.

We are going back on 18th Aug of this year.

Steven

I haven't been in recent years, but have been many times. According to their website they now have premier seating with wider seats in one stand. This would be the east stand, where the salute is taken, and has the best view. But in fact, at the tattoo, all seats have good views. The stands are very sharply tiered, and the steps getting up the tiers are quite steep. Getting in and out of the tattoo is slow : the castle is at the top of a steep hill, the buses will drop you (if you are taking a coach tour) as close as possible, but it will still be a 5 minute uphill walk to the entrance. There will be a large, polite slow moving crowd, with the army doing spot checks of people's bags for security. You can hire cushions, they aren't very good, I would take my own.

From the tattoo website, it is clear that if you have mobility issues you can contact the office and they can make special arrangements.

Premier seating link :

http://www.edintattoo.co.uk/corporate-hospitality/premier-seating

Facilities for disabled link :

http://www.edintattoo.co.uk/tickets/facilities-the-disabled

I will see if I can persuade my husband to go up and take a look at the stands and report back.

Cheers, Roberta

Is the tattoo only given once a year? We will be in Scotland in May 2013.

Can anyone recommend a tour company that will pick you up at the port, Glasgow (Greenock), take you on a day tour, then take you to the Military Tattoo, then return you back to the port?

Thank you.

We were at the tattoo last year and the seats are much more comfortable now. Most people also hire cushions at only £1 which can also make a real difference I was in Edinburgh City Centre yesterday and just thought you might like to see the photo of the seating now in place ready for the tattoo to start in a few weeks. The castle is right in the centre as you can see.

Sorry can't help with taxi companies in the Greenock area. It would be best do a search on this forum as I'm sure I read a thread recently about this.

p.s. Just had a look at the photo and it hasn't come out very well, so the seating is the big 'lump' to the left of the castle.

1011191743_Edinurghcastle.jpg.10eeb1ea480968b77da7cdd58be0c2c6.jpg

Thank you all so much for the wonderful information!! I appreciate such thorough descriptions and the photo as well! I will also take the good suggestion to contact them regarding mobility issues and to check on the better seating!

I'm really hoping not to miss this special evening!!

Elaine

Can anyone recommend a tour company that will pick you up at the port, Glasgow (Greenock), take you on a day tour, then take you to the Military Tattoo, then return you back to the port?

Thank you.

There have been threads stating that the following tour companies have been used:

www.greatscot-tours.com

www.timberbrushtours.com

www.fifeshutles.com

www.rabbies.com

Have you tried the roll call for your cruise? They usually group up for a private tour.

• 3 weeks later...

I dont know if this is still done, but the year we went to the tatoo from Greenock on the Golden Princess, a special coach was laid on by Princess for those with mobilioty issues and they were dropped off and picked up after the event right next to the castle entrance.

Jimmy

We attended the Tattoo last year. Never sat in the old seats, but the new seating is relatively comfortable - think newer baseball stadium seats. Take a jacket - it will probably be chilly due to wind and Edinburgh is known to rain from time to time. The Tattoo was a fantastic experience - as a matter of fact, I just got my DVD of the 2011 Festival in the mail yesterday and watched it immediately. You will have a blast!

Tickets for the Tattoo generally go on sale in December, but check their website for details. If you are serious about going, I suggest you purchase them the first day they are available because they do sell out quickly.

Archived