Need a new cruise line -- Advice?

seafarer71

Hello All,

My wife and I are seasoned cruisers who have been cruising since the mid 90's. We have sailed on Royal Carribean, Princess multiple times, and Carnival one time waaaaay back in 1994. Since having kids (now 7 and 5) we've been on Disney once, and most recently, just got off the Carnival Glory this past weekend. The Gory was the single worst cruise I've been on. I loved the ports, but hated just about everything else. The food was cafeteria quality (at best), lines for everything, rude passengers, and the crew seemed overworked and miserable. All shows were either not appropriate for kids, or far too late for them to attend. My kids loved the kids club on Disney, and we practically had to drag them out of them. On the Glory, the kids couldn't wait to leave after 1.5 hours, and didn't want to come back. It was also obvious to me that the kid's club staff also had morale issues, and it was evident in their interactions with the kids.

I booked Carnival because I was told by several people that the kids programming was great, but I just didn't see it. We love Disney, but often find it price prohibitive. We are an easygoing family, and want to cruise again, but I will not sail with Carnival again.

Perhaps cruising has changed on us, and we just miss the "way it used to be". Or perhaps we just haven't found the right line I do know that I prefer smaller ships....not the mega ships so prevalent today. I'm attracted to Holland and Celebrity, but am not sure if these lines would offer much for the kids. I'm nervous about Royal in that I think it would be very similar to Carnival.

Can anyone offer me any advice on choosing another line to try? Any input/advice would be appreciated.

Hello All,

My wife and I are seasoned cruisers who have been cruising since the mid 90's. We have sailed on Royal Carribean, Princess multiple times, and Carnival one time waaaaay back in 1994. Since having kids (now 7 and 5) we've been on Disney once, and most recently, just got off the Carnival Glory this past weekend. The Gory was the single worst cruise I've been on. I loved the ports, but hated just about everything else. The food was cafeteria quality (at best), lines for everything, rude passengers, and the crew seemed overworked and miserable. All shows were either not appropriate for kids, or far too late for them to attend. My kids loved the kids club on Disney, and we practically had to drag them out of them. On the Glory, the kids couldn't wait to leave after 1.5 hours, and didn't want to come back. It was also obvious to me that the kid's club staff also had morale issues, and it was evident in their interactions with the kids.

I booked Carnival because I was told by several people that the kids programming was great, but I just didn't see it. We love Disney, but often find it price prohibitive. We are an easygoing family, and want to cruise again, but I will not sail with Carnival again.

Perhaps cruising has changed on us, and we just miss the "way it used to be". Or perhaps we just haven't found the right line I do know that I prefer smaller ships....not the mega ships so prevalent today. I'm attracted to Holland and Celebrity, but am not sure if these lines would offer much for the kids. I'm nervous about Royal in that I think it would be very similar to Carnival.

Can anyone offer me any advice on choosing another line to try? Any input/advice would be appreciated.

I would try NCL before Royal.

Holland America has Club HAL for kids. It is divided into either three or four groups depending upon age. I do not have children who have participated in the program but have read reams about it here on CC.

The kids seem to love Club HAL and time and again, posters have said they have to drag the kids away and they seem to have high praise for the counselors.

In reading reviews, hopefully you can find some of these comments.

HAL has lots of families cruising and DH and I love it when we see the kids and parents and everyone enjoying themselves. :)

Think about HAL -- not overwhelmed with children, but we have always seen a fair number -- and have observed a pretty attractive-seeming childrens program, and have always noticed how attentive stewards and staff generally to families with children. Beyond these, you might want to give yourselves a chance to experience HAL's srvice.

While DW and I really love Oceania, it is really not for kids. Except on a few special cruises, they have nothing for children -- no activities, no shows, no amenities for kids. It just the two of you want a really fantastic cruise experience, Oceania is great, but if you are taking the kids, look elsewhere.

Give HAL a try, but choose your cruise wisely.:D

• Go when lots of other kids are out of school, such as spring break or mid summer. Otherwise you may not see many other children
  • Pick a "short" cruise, around 7 days. Longer cruises tend to attract older cruisers
  • Pick the"right" itinerary. Alaska and Caribbean cruises will have more children than other itineraries

HAL does tend to attract a mature crowd. We're in our mid 50s and started cruising with HAL in '96, so we tend to be some of the "younger" passengers on board.

However, most everyone we have met on board were energetic and enjoying their golden years, exactly the kind of folks we aspire to become. Contrary to what many say, you will not see hordes of scooters, walkers, and such.

We enjoy HAL because (to name a few):

• "Small" ships .. smaller than most at any rate so we never feel crowded and seldom have difficulty getting on or off the ship
  • Well trained, friendly crews. I am always impressed that our cabin stewards learn our preferences within 48 hours and our MDR steward will greet us by name when we dine in the Lido the morning after we sail
  • Port intensive itineraries that allow us to experience whatever the world has to offer
  • Relaxing, slow paced on board ambiance that allows us to decompress from the pressures of our onshore lives; and those port intensive itineraries
  • Great food in a variety of venues
  • No drunken parties and few boorish fellow passengers

I would recommend you try a short cruise on a smaller ship on RCI. We did Majesty with our kids (6 & 12 at the time) and our DD (6) LOVED the AO staff and activities. THere were not all the bells and whistles of the bigger ships but both our kids found plenty to do (loved the rock climbing, basketball and pools in addition to AO) We are sailing Jewel this December and trust they will love it as well.

My kids, who are now young adults, have always LOVED the kid's program on Royal Caribbean and it is their preferred cruiseline. The newer RCI ships offer so many family-friendly amenities.

In our experience, RCI is vastly different than Carnival. (We also had a miserable cruise on Carnival - very poor service, disgusting ship, and in my kid's words a "lame" kid's club.)

Try Oceania. A little more spendy, but a lot more special.

Not a cruise for children. Stick with Disney. They are the best for children that young. You may want to try Royal Caribbean when they are a little older.They are mich better than Carnival.

~Doris~

Thanks everyone for the input! I think we'll give Celebrity and/or HAL a try before we give up on cruising for good. I might try Celebrity next because they have always appealed to me (and seem to be well liked on these boards), but will also look for deals on HAL. Any recommendations on specific ships/itineraries???? We have always wanted to do Alaska, and like itineraries that include the line's private islands in the bahamas/caribbean.

Give HAL a try, but choose your cruise wisely.:D

• Go when lots of other kids are out of school, such as spring break or mid summer. Otherwise you may not see many other children
  • Pick a "short" cruise, around 7 days. Longer cruises tend to attract older cruisers
  • Pick the"right" itinerary. Alaska and Caribbean cruises will have more children than other itineraries

HAL does tend to attract a mature crowd. We're in our mid 50s and started cruising with HAL in '96, so we tend to be some of the "younger" passengers on board.

However, most everyone we have met on board were energetic and enjoying their golden years, exactly the kind of folks we aspire to become. Contrary to what many say, you will not see hordes of scooters, walkers, and such.

We enjoy HAL because (to name a few):

• "Small" ships .. smaller than most at any rate so we never feel crowded and seldom have difficulty getting on or off the ship
  • Well trained, friendly crews. I am always impressed that our cabin stewards learn our preferences within 48 hours and our MDR steward will greet us by name when we dine in the Lido the morning after we sail
  • Port intensive itineraries that allow us to experience whatever the world has to offer
  • Relaxing, slow paced on board ambiance that allows us to decompress from the pressures of our onshore lives; and those port intensive itineraries
  • Great food in a variety of venues
  • No drunken parties and few boorish fellow passengers

Very well said, I agree.

Thanks everyone for the input! I think we'll give Celebrity and/or HAL a try before we give up on cruising for good. I might try Celebrity next because they have always appealed to me (and seem to be well liked on these boards), but will also look for deals on HAL. Any recommendations on specific ships/itineraries???? We have always wanted to do Alaska, and like itineraries that include the line's private islands in the bahamas/caribbean.

As a person who has cruised both Celebrity and HAL, I highly recommend you try Celebrity first. Specifically, take a look at their Solstice Class ships. Neither cruise line is the best wrt kids programs, but there will be more activities on Celebrity and the Solstice Class ships are beautiful. Good luck on your choice and enjoy your next cruise. :)

You seem to have eliminated Royal Caribbean because it is like Carnival and the big mega-ships. The Royal ships with a promenade are great. The promenade provides 'crowd' control and makes it easy to get around the ship. I have not used the kids programs but I have seen groups around the ship and they seem to be having a good time.

The food on all the mass market has declined but with all the choices I can find something to eat. Royal Caribbean is fun with a lot of entertainment. Celebrity is more formal (demographics are older) - I really liked the food in Aqua Class but with kids under 18 that is not an option for your family. I have only sailed once on HAL and found the other passengers to be very very senior. Many more scooters and walkers than children. (The cruise was after school had started.)

I would recommend trying a Voyager or Freedom class ship from Royal Caribbean. They do a good job minimizing waiting in lines. The buffet is scramble style with many stations so the lines are short even at peak times.

We were in the same situation last year (but no children), we had sailed a number of times with Princess and were looking for something new. Tried HAL and it was definitely the worst cruise we ever had. Less than a month later we revisited Celebrity after not sailing with them for about 4 years....it was terrific...to us it was what cruising was all about and moved us away for the Holiday Innish of Princess and the disaster of HAL. In speaking with parents and from observation they do operate excellent children and teens programs.

I would recommend you try a short cruise on a smaller ship on RCI. We did Majesty with our kids (6 & 12 at the time) and our DD (6) LOVED the AO staff and activities. THere were not all the bells and whistles of the bigger ships but both our kids found plenty to do (loved the rock climbing, basketball and pools in addition to AO) We are sailing Jewel this December and trust they will love it as well.

How would you define "...a smaller ship on RCI." ?

I think their smallest is over 2,000 passengers - and their newer ones run from over 3,000 to over 5,400.

They may have good childrens programs, but the ships themselves are generally behemoths.

Archived