HAL Officers on Formal Night?

sail7seas

[quote name='sail7seas'][B] There are some cabin stewards I would really enjoying sharing a meal with and there are definitely some Officers.

From our experience, we have learned they are mostly very interesting people. When you think of the places they have been, the things they have seen, the people they have met, the experience of a less usual style of living for part of every year than most of us are accustomed to, their training and experience....... how can they not be interesting? :)

Some of their stories are fabulous and we are always appreciative if we have the opportunity to have a cocktail, a chat or dinner with one of the Officers. We have never not enjoyed their company.

JMO and most assuredly YMMV....

[/B][/quote]
Sure, I understand why some feel that way. And, I more or less expect civilians to think that ship's officers are something special. However, I was in the Navy. I'm used to seeing officers in their dress uniforms. Some are very interesting people. Some aren't. I traveled the same places they did, and had experiences that may be somewhat interesting also.

I had the pleasure of contacting many of the officers who I knew, and served with, 30 years later. I have to admit, some of their stories, that they never, never would have related to me 30 years ago, were hilarious and very entertaining. And now they are just regular guys (most of them, anyway). Most of them were also surprised at the stories I told them of things that went on under their noses that they were totally unaware of. 30 years later, we both got a huge laugh....back then, not so much. ;)

Bottom line is my attitude concerning uniformed officers comes from experiences quite different from most posters here (females). No big deal. Like I said, I understand why others feel the way they do.

Let me throw this out there too. DW, who is a bit of an Anglophile, has every episode of "Keeping Up Appearances". There is an episode where Onslow and Daisy win a free cruise on the QE2. Onslow has no job, and is normally described as "bone idle". Here is a great quote from the character.

[URL="http://sharetv.org/shows/keeping_up_appearances_uk/cast/onslow"]Onslow:[/URL] [speaking to Hyacinth] So then, this purser chap came up to the cabin and said we're on the captain's table. And I thought "Blimey!" I mean, you win a competition, you get a luxury cruise, and then they expect you to eat with the crew!

A lout is always a lout; so regardless of the suit/tux they cover themselves with at the time they will never be a gentleman.

A harridan is always a harridan; so regardless of the dress they put on themselves they will never be a lady.

It is your actions towards others that determine who/what you are, not how you're covering yourself. Bernie Madoff was always dressed to the nines & Gandhi was dressed in a dirty towel, one was a gentleman and one was a lout.

Derek

[quote name='arewethereyet']Let me throw this out there too. DW, who is a bit of an Anglophile, has every episode of "Keeping Up Appearances". There is an episode where Onslow and Daisy win a free cruise on the QE2. Onslow has no job, and is normally described as "bone idle". Here is a great quote from the character.

[URL="http://sharetv.org/shows/keeping_up_appearances_uk/cast/onslow"]Onslow:[/URL] [speaking to Hyacinth] So then, this purser chap came up to the cabin and said we're on the captain's table. And I thought "Blimey!" I mean, you win a competition, you get a luxury cruise, and then they expect you to eat with the crew![/quote]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3]OH My...That is my favorite episode! Another favorite is when Hyacinth is trying to put on the dog & borrows a boat to entertsin her Friends..The part I love is when she's hanging on to the boat while still on shore..[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3]Cheers....:)Betty[/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='Viesczy']A lout is always a lout; so regardless of the suit/tux they cover themselves with at the time they will never be a gentleman.

A harridan is always a harridan; so regardless of the dress they put on themselves they will never be a lady.

It is your actions towards others that determine who/what you are, not how you're covering yourself. Bernie Madoff was always dressed to the nines & Gandhi was dressed in a dirty towel, one was a gentleman and one was a lout.

Derek[/quote]

How very true. Reminds me of the old adage, "manners maketh man". No mention of the clothes:D

[quote=cruisin'girl;34655288]Let's not overdramatize that the officers are going to all the trouble to dress formally out of respect for the passengers, blah, blah. They dress in their formalwear on formal nights because they are employees of the cruiseline and are told how they have to dress. They have no option, so let's not deify them. They are doing what they are told to do. Truth be known most of them probably wish the whole formal night thing would go away as it has on so many cruiselines.

That said, I do believe those pax dining in the MDR should follow the guidelines or "suggestions" even though the dress code has been diminished to the point it could barely be called formal anymore.[/quote]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3]Well said! :cool:[/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='startwin']How very true. Reminds me of the old adage, "manners maketh man". No mention of the clothes:D[/quote]

That's because if you have the manners, you'll dress appropriately, to the best of your ability given the circumstances. It's polite to show up wearing what your host requests you wear.

There is a certain point of view held by many these days that anyone dressed down is probably just a little bit nicer than someone dressed up. Dressed down means "real folks", and dressed up means "snob".

Why judge a person by their clothes, dressed up or dressed down?

And comparisons to Gandhi? C'mon, isn't this thread getting a bit over the top?

Edit time up, and I'm worried I was offensive to Startwin.

Startwin, just to be crystal clear, I agree that "manners maketh the man", and that you are very mannerly.

The notion that one kind of clothes always going with one kind of manners is the notion I find repugnant, and what I think PREVIOUS posters were getting at.

Gandi's dhoti didn't made him an ethical giant. He was an ethical giant who wore a dhoti.

[quote name='startwin']How very true. Reminds me of the old adage, "manners maketh man". No mention of the clothes:D[/quote]

Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society. [B][URL="http://www.quotationspage.com/quotes/Mark_Twain/"]Mark Twain[/URL][/B]

Hi

Last year on my cruise on the Amsterdam (Alaska)we had a officier join us for 3 dinners. (one night a officer was due to come but did not He had a chair there but something happened) I loved it I felt special. Its not about the wine. I had a bottle every night on the table. They told us about thier job. All of them knew our names and where we were from. We talked and let them eat. I learned a lot on how a ship was run and some of the things that were going on that we had no idea it was happening.

This year I went back on Amsterdam (Alaska) I did not have a officer. I still had a great time

Mary

[quote name='lcand1923']One of my favorite cruises (not HAL) had Senior Staff who were all over the ship. They seemed to enjoy meeting passengers and doing the "mingle, mingle" thing. Most of the time, the Captain and Senior Staff on HAL and other cruise lines are "doing what is required" by corporate headquarters. I feel sorry for them that they have to get into Dress Whites for the formal nights and are required to host tables because it is part of their job description. I would much prefer seeing them wandering around the ship, eating food at the various venues and joking among themselves. In other words, acting like they are enjoying their job and conveying that they hope the passengers are enjoying themselves.[/quote]

[FONT=Georgia][COLOR=purple][B]Well said![/B][/COLOR][/FONT]
[FONT=Georgia][COLOR=purple][/COLOR][/FONT]
[FONT=Georgia][COLOR=purple][B]We love meeting the officers/staff around the ship and talking to them in short little bursts. We've had some really great conversations that way. And gotten some good candid photos as well. [/B][/COLOR][/FONT]
[FONT=Georgia][COLOR=purple][/COLOR][/FONT]
[FONT=Georgia][COLOR=purple][B]Last fall on the [I]Prinsendam,[/I] we had My Time Dining (or whatever it's called on HAL) ... ate several meals with the ship's doctor & his wife, one was formal night ... no difference in the overall experience, we had fun every night (and we talked to them quite a few other times around the ship) ... and one formal night with the Chief Security Officer and his wife, who worked in the Excursions Dept. That was a very interesting (in a good way) dinner! [/B][/COLOR][/FONT]
[B][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=#800080][/COLOR][/FONT][/B]
[B][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=#800080]Still hoping to one day be invited to the Captain's table, formal night or not. Since our formal wear is actually "Smart Casual" we'd be dressed right for either possibility.[/COLOR][/FONT][/B]

[quote name='Opinions']Obviously you cruise at a different level than I have...I have sailed for over 40 years and have never been invited to dine with the captain...Also no officer has ever joined my table...Perhaps the fact that I always had a inside cabin might have made a difference...I have always tried to follow the suggested dress code...What the staff wears has no influence on what I wear...I no longer bring a tux on cruises ...If the suggested dress isn't formal enough than I would decline a invitation if I ever receive one...Doubt that I will ever have to make that decision.[/quote]

Hi

I had a inside cabin last year when I had a officier join us at the formal dinners. I think you might need a table for 6 or 8.

Mary

Some seem to justify not following the suggested dress code on formal nights by implying that it is too expensive to purchase proper attire. May I suggest that it isn't necessary to have new formal clothes for every cruise? The likelihood that someone other than close friends might know this is very unlikely. And who cares if someone, including close friends, does realize you're wearing something you've worn before?

Hi

Last year I bought a bunch of dressy top with a dress blouse/jacket to go over it. I had 4 outfits if I switch it around. I think I paid less that 10.00 for all of them at Salvation Army.

This year I went to a bridal shop and bought a gown. (150.00) + $90 for alterations.

I then went back to Salvation Army there were loaded with formal wear all styles. I bought s formal pant suit for 18.00.
they had a lot of items including jewery. I had fake jerwery on. Some i got there some at Walmart or Kohls. The pearls I bought at Salvation Army I have no idea if they are real or not. They looked real to me.

So look at 2nd hand stores or Salvation Army. They had lots of formal way in May-June. I have not been back since my cruise 6/29-7/13. but I am sure with all people getting married in May and june you will find formal wear. They just don't have "prom" or :Bridesmade" dresses they have a lot of Mother of the Bride dresses. I got one of the Mother of the bride. I will be looking for a cocktail dress.

Mary

[quote name='luxurysailer']Some seem to justify not following the suggested dress code on formal nights by implying that it is too expensive to purchase proper attire. May I suggest that it isn't necessary to have new formal clothes for every cruise? The likelihood that someone other than close friends might know this is very unlikely. And who cares if someone, including close friends, does realize you're wearing something you've worn before?[/quote]
For a lot of us who fly to the port it is more about suitcase room. We have the clothes and are not afraid to wear them more than once. Not so hard for me (dressy sandals and sparkly tops don't take much room) but for my husband (men's dress shoes and jackets do). So [I][B][U]if[/U][/B][/I] the choice comes down to snorkel and fins vs. formal dress, you know you'll see me in the Lido.

There are always a few people who cannot understand why someone would not want to dress up for formal evenings. They immediately jump to the conclusion that it must be a money issue, ie these people cannot afford to buy the 'right clothes' . This is often followed by a list of possible second hand stores or perhaps a website or two where wonderful tuxes can be had for a mere $39. - sometimes less.

I wonder if these people have given any thought to those who might select an Oceania for instance where casual is de riguer. Do you think these folks cruise on Oceania because they cannot afford the formal gear???

Some people only prefer to wear casual attire while on vacation. Now, how hard is that to understand?

[quote name='iancal'].......
Some people only prefer to wear casual attire while on vacation. Now, how hard is that to understand?[/QUOTE]
Not hard at all. That's why so many cruiselines have gone to 'smart or country club casual' every night and done away with formal. We have many friends who can afford and only cruise the luxury cruiselines who won't cruise any other way than smart casual now.

I totally agree. You can't judge a book by it's cover. Just because I chose not to dress up doesn't mean I am poor, maybe I can afford to buy the ship. In fact I do not dress up and i canceled my next HAL trip in favor of Oceania at twice the price because there are no dress and wine police abroad and I will not have to hear how I am wrecking the ship by putting bad things in the toilet and letting the balcony door stay open. Talk about the Salvation Army, when I was on the Zuiderdam in April the furniture looked like it came from there.

Iancal, I completely understand.

What I *don't* understand is why those same people [B]book HAL.[/B] Not if they know about the 2-nights-every-7-days main dining room dress codes.

They can choose to cruise another line. They can choose to dine in the Lido.

Instead, some prefer to complain about HAL's dress code, or scoff it, or pressure for it to change.

That takes choice away from me.

I prefer to change for dinner, and dine with people who have similar preferences. I choose my cruise line - at least in part - according to the dress code "requested" by the cruise line. I expect other people to do the same.

I have never cruised NCL because I know the dress code, and it doesn't fit me.

Now, how hard is that to understand?

[quote name='fann1sh']Iancal, I completely understand.

What I *don't* understand is why those same people [B]book HAL.[/B] Not if they know about the 2-nights-every-7-days main dining room dress codes.

They can choose to cruise another line. They can choose to dine in the Lido.

Instead, some prefer to complain about HAL's dress code, or scoff it, or pressure for it to change.

That takes choice away from me.

I prefer to change for dinner, and dine with people who have similar preferences. I choose my cruise line according to the dress code "requested" by the cruise line. I expect other people to do the same.

Now, how hard is that to understand?[/quote]

Goodness, I imagine people book HAL for a variety of reasons - itinerary, they love the crew, price - and any number of other reasons. I don't think anyone chooses a cruise line for their dress code alone. I know I don't, it never enters into the equation. I like to dress on formal nights and I don't care what anyone else wears.

[quote name='fann1sh']

I choose my cruise line - at least in part - according to the dress code "requested" by the cruise line. I expect other people to do the same.

[/QUOTE]

I choose HAL because according to their website their dress code is "suggested" not "requested".

Yes, Startwin, I edited that obvious flaw out of my answer. Good point.

But, what about my answer as edited?

Edit: Oh, sorry about that. I forgot the wording of the answer to "Does HAL have a dress code?" I'm curious: does "black tie invited" get the same treatment? Is a dress suggestion or request or invitation from a host who isn't a corporation different?

[quote name='startwin']Goodness, I imagine people book HAL for a variety of reasons - itinerary, they love the crew, price - and any number of other reasons. I don't think anyone chooses a cruise line for their dress code alone. I know I don't, it never enters into the equation. I like to dress on formal nights and I don't care what anyone else wears.[/quote]

[B] I agree. We are liking formal less and less and for that reason now abide by HAL's Request and DH wears his dark suit and I wear a cocktail dress. But we don't book HAL cruises for dress code.
We book for all those other wonderful things we think HAL does so well. :)

[/B]

We book HAL and Celebrity because they are good cruise lines, have good itineraries, and almost all of thier attributes match up to our personal preferences.

Formal nights in the MDR are not an attribute that we particularly want in either line. But both have so many other positive attributes that we find ourselves migrating to them. So on formal evenings, if we are not dressed to the suggested code, we simply do not eat in the MDR. It is not an issue for us.

HAL, Celebrity, and Princess are all mainstream lines that do formal. Most of the other main line cruise lines are the same. But for our tastes and preferences they offer us the best value.

Archived