Travel accessories when traveling?

larry the lobster

The problem with that scenario is that when you need Immodium or Advil or Zantac, you need it now--not later today, not tomorrow when you're in port, but now. We bring a small bottle (about 30 tabs) of Advil and Zantac and a blister pack of Immodium. Also a blister pack with three days worth of DayQuil/Nyquil, and a half dozen cough drops.

If we need more than that we can buy in port or even in the ships shop, as we did with the cold remedy and cough drops. Yes, the mark up on cough drops in the ships shop is steep, but in the big picture it was a whopping $2 more than what we would have paid at home, so whatever.

I have read people who pack a shoe box sized bins of medications, "just in case." Seriously, if someone is that sick, it's time to head to the infirmary or the pharmacy.

I just hit the store my first day and get my needs. Not a big deal, as I always just walk around the city where I land on the first day. I just don't like to carry all that on my flights. If I'm checking a bag I might get some before. But, if I'm carrying, I don't want the extra bulk or weight. And, I don't want the TSA clerks trying to play doctor and inquire about all the possible "big catch" drugs they see in my bag.

If there is a medication with is locally a necessity, like Antenal (excuse my spelling) for "mummy tummy" in Egypt, one has no choice but to wait and buy locally.

One trip where I did buy quantity ahead was when I did my safari to Kenya. I packed way more than I really could have needed. But, we did a drop off of all our unused medications to a local Masai medical clinic, so it was worth leaving something home to be able to donate (we were seriously limited to the quantity, type, and weight of bags we could bring).

I just hit the store my first day and get my needs. Not a big deal, as I always just walk around the city where I land on the first day. I just don't like to carry all that on my flights. If I'm checking a bag I might get some before. But, if I'm carrying, I don't want the extra bulk or weight. And, I don't want the TSA clerks trying to play doctor and inquire about all the possible "big catch" drugs they see in my bag.

If there is a medication with is locally a necessity, like Antenal (excuse my spelling) for "mummy tummy" in Egypt, one has no choice but to wait and buy locally.

One trip where I did buy quantity ahead was when I did my safari to Kenya. I packed way more than I really could have needed. But, we did a drop off of all our unused medications to a local Masai medical clinic, so it was worth leaving something home to be able to donate (we were seriously limited to the quantity, type, and weight of bags we could bring).

What I bring will fit into one of those ZipLocks that you put cereal in for a little kid and it weights about 2 ounces.

TSA doesn't play doctor, unless you are carrying a large quantity of pills they don't give a darn about them. TSA is NOT a law enforcement entity and has ZERO authority of this sort of thing. If they find what they think might be illegal drugs, they can't do a thing except notify the local police.

I take all of those same things with me even when flying domestically, and have never even had an eyelash batted. And I fly almost every week.

TSA doesn't play doctor, unless you are carrying a large quantity of pills they don't give a darn about them. TSA is NOT a law enforcement entity and has ZERO authority of this sort of thing. If they find what they think might be illegal drugs, they can't do a thing except notify the local police.

I'll take exception to this one. They don't have authority, but they can hassle you into submission with their rule that ALL medications, OTC AND prescription, MUST be their original containers and prescription info attached. They don't do this all the time, but you only need to get one gung-ho TSA clerk once to make your life miserable. I carry an inhaler. The prescription label is always put on the large box (gotta love packaging!!) because it won't fit the small inhaler. I have had it questioned several times. I now also carry the stupid box.

Not saying it will happen every time, but it DOES happen. Go over to flyertalk and take a look at the Border and Checkpoint Security forums...

I'll take exception to this one. They don't have authority, but they can hassle you into submission with their rule that ALL medications, OTC AND prescription, MUST be their original containers and prescription info attached. They don't do this all the time, but you only need to get one gung-ho TSA clerk once to make your life miserable. I carry an inhaler. The prescription label is always put on the large box (gotta love packaging!!) because it won't fit the small inhaler. I have had it questioned several times. I now also carry the stupid box.

Not saying it will happen every time, but it DOES happen. Go over to flyertalk and take a look at the Border and Checkpoint Security forums...

If any idiot from the TSA gives you a hard time, tell them to get a supervisor. Politely inform the supervisor that if they have an issue with your medication they are welcome to invite law enforcement into the conversation, but otherwise, you'll be on your way.

Now, if you are talking about customs officials, they have authority to question medications. But like I said, when I've got a small bottle of Advil where the tablets are labeled "Advil" and a bottle of Zantac and blister packs of Immodium and Nyquil, they are in their original packaging and they are OTC so there is no prescription.

My prescription meds, including my inhaler and my Epi-Pen are accompanied by their labels, but even those no one has ever taken a second look at.

Where did you get your money pack/wallet and what does it look like? Is it bulky?

Most of the travel websites have one. Here is a link to travelsmith with one of their options from Rick Steves.

http://www.travelsmith.com/rick-steves-moneybelt/16905?defattrib=&defattribvalue=&listIndex=6

I don't find them to be bulky at all, of course that will depend on how much you put in it. :)

Archived