Travel accessories when traveling?

larry the lobster

I'm not sure where to put this post but since I'm cruising to Italy and Spain I decided on the Italy thread. Anyway I'm going on a cruise to Spain and Italy and am wondering what type of travel accessories I might need. Like do I really need a pac safe purse, pac safe camera strap, or how about rfid wallet?

Is there anything that I might need to make my travel to Europe to be safer or easier??

I'm not sure that you really "need" anything, depending on what kind of traveler you are. For example, I have a travel purse that I really like, but it's not a PacSafe purse (which I find too heavy). It is a lightweight nylon Kipling cross-body bag that is completely waterproof.

Most any purse can be made relatively safe by use of a safety pin to hold the zipper, putting things in inside pockets (you can even pin things to the lining).

Even the safest PacSafe bag isn't so safe if someone on a scooter rides by and tries to grab it from you. In fact, the wire in the strap could end up being a liability in such cases.

One thing I do recommend is some way of securing your valuables when walking around that is hidden on your body. Whether you choose a neck pouch, money belt, "hidden pocket" or something else, it lets you relax and not worry so much if at least your most valuable items are secured (e.g., significant money, credit card, etc.) Also, don't forget to leave things onboard the ship that you will not need on any given day (e.g., your extra credit card or cash, passport, etc.)

Other than the above -- the only thing that you really cannot live without IMO are comfortable walking shoes.

For me, my PacSafe cross-body bag has been a really good (and small) investment. I bought one last year before our Med cruise with a pre-cruise stay in Barcelona and a post-cruise stay in Italy. This year, I took it to China and will probably take it again to Europe this fall. It's good to have when you are in crowds, especially on the Metro and buses where others have warned about pickpockets. I'm sure I will get some feedback about this, but I don't like to wear a money belt -- not useful to me and uncomfortable. Not sure about the camera strap...I don't like to wear a camera around my neck, but that's just me. About the rfid wallet-- I don't have one, but have seen them on various travel shopping sites. Maybe someone else can speak to that.

I'm not sure where to put this post but since I'm cruising to Italy and Spain I decided on the Italy thread. Anyway I'm going on a cruise to Spain and Italy and am wondering what type of travel accessories I might need. Like do I really need a pac safe purse, pac safe camera strap, or how about rfid wallet?

Is there anything that I might need to make my travel to Europe to be safer or easier??

We brought electricity adapter/converter. We needed to make sure our cell phone, camera, iPad, iPod, etc. were recharged every night.

I have three purses that I travel with depending on how much stuff I need to carry with me. My PacSafe bag (does get heavy, but I feel safe with this one in high-risk areas) that is medium size and has a pouch for a water bottle. A Kipling cross-body small size and a large size LeSportSac.

Comfortable walking shoes are a must.

Maps if you are doing walking tours.

Light weight wind breaker and umbrella.

There are lots of other things I can think of, but I guess it depends on what you think is necessary.

For the big cities (Rome, Barcelona, etc.) I would recommend something safe for your money, credit cards, etc. so either a travel wallet that goes under your clothing or a pac safe purse or both would be smart. You can use this in the future as you travel to other places too so it is money well spent.

Also, and this applies to everywhere you travel, take something that will hold some first aid related supplies such as bandaids, cleansing wipes, and the like. Accidents happen. Also take water with you.

Keith

Given the extensive reporting about the frequency of pick-pocketing in Europe, anything you can take that keeps your valuable and important "stuff" safe from them seems to be logical.

I am going on a cruise out of Venice in a couple of months and DID buy a small PacSafe purse with a reinforced strap that can be used in the cross body mode or around my waist. I also already have a money pouch that allow me to keep the bulk of my euros under my clothing.

I believe in being proactive in protecting my valuables.

Please keep in mind, that whatever type of bag etc you take, if someone does grab it, you may put yourself at danger if you resist too much (depending on the circumstance of course) My daughter has twice had to let her bag be taken from across her shoulder to avoid injury to herself; one in Laos and once in Bangkok when her husband was sitting right beside her in a tuk-tuk. As she has learnt, anything is replaceable although it may be inconvenient. However an Australian woman recently died in Thailand (I think Phuket) from resisting too much.

As everyone seems to be talking about "safe" bags, I'll put in something else:

1) Before buying a converter, look at all the electronics and appliances you are planning to take. Dual voltage appliances will say something like 100/240V or 110~220vac. This means it should work with both U.S. style 110 volt power and the 220 volt power found just about everywhere else. Single voltage appliances will just say 110vac or 120vac. Most electronics (camera, laptop, tablet, phone, etc) are already dual-voltage. You won't need the converter, just the adapters to turn the plug into another style. I take both polarized and non-polarized adapters (in the US, that would be 3 prong and 2 prong). Depending on which ship you are on, most likely there will be US plugs (On one Princess cruise, I also found one British plug in the cabin). A small travel power strip (I have one by Monster) will serve to keep all in one spot.

2) Duct tape. I never travel without it. Fixes so many problems. I found some travel-size rolls on Magellan's years ago.

3) Lonely Planet language books. Small size and have good useful phrases to help the traveler. I don't haul it out in public to look at, but I do like reading it at night to learn a few phrases and get used to food choices, how to ask where the WC is, etc.

3) Ladies - take some Urinelles or other such product. Even in civilized Western Europe, you may need to use a WC and be directed to one in a parking structure where you will NOT find a Toilet that is not what you want to sit on or, in some instances, an actual toilet (had that happen a few times in Italy and Switzerland). I expected that in Africa and the Middle East, but not Western Europe.

I bought one of those Pac Safe bags but only used it for the plane rides. Once at our destination we each wore one of those wallets that go under your clothing (I preferred having it just under my waist rather than hanging from my neck). They were easy to get to if needed and we kept some small bills in our pockets. I had a small cross body bag of very lightweight material for my glasses, tissues, hand sanitizer :) etc. We carried a tote bag for an umbrella, sweater, water, and maps.

Marge

We carry a lite weight "rick steves" day bag---we do have a pac-safe camera strap---and we wear money belts in big cities or anywhere when carrying all our stuff---I prefer the leg type--my wife the waist type----also a couple of euro 2 prong plug adapters so we can charge multiple items at one time----also a firm believer in duct tape and a small sewing kit

first day in eurpoe last time fell in Pompei and split myn knee and my pants across the knee--duct tape fixed both --until got to hotel for better fix

hope this helps

Paul

We each have the money belt things that area worn around the waist under the clothes. I've also got a small one that I can loop around my bra straps and hide under my shirt, good for ID, credit card, and a few bills.

We've got a Kipling cross body with a velcro flap, then a zipper, then another zipper to get to an inside pocket. Hard to rip a cross body off a person while riding by on a scooter, and in an area where we felt it was a threat whoever was carrying the bag held on to it. As far as my camera, when there was any doubt I wrapped the strap around my wrist and carried the camera by the grip in my hand.

We also had electrical adapters and I carried Charmin To Go and a travel packet of wipes. I needed the Charmin in Athens in the WC at the Parthenon and the wipes came in handy any number of times.

Not particular to Europe, but when traveling we also carry a very mini first aid kit with antibiotic gel, a few regular sized Band Aids and one larger one (skinned knees size), a packet of Advil, two Immodium, and two Zantac. My husband is an EMT and doesn't go anywhere without his CPR pocket mask and a pair of gloves.

Another must have item are over the counter (US) drugs. We take ibuprofen, acetaminophen, nasal sprays, cough medicine and such. While these can be purchased in Italy, they are usually available at pharmacies not in grocery stores. After a long day of walking ibuprofen (if you can use it) can be a lifesaver.

Enjoy

I love the little attachment to the bra. It carries all my CC's safely and it is really not that difficult to get to when I need a card.

Toilet Paper Rolls from Magellans.

Bleach wipes if you are going on a cruise that has had Norovirus on board - it is really the only thing that kills it. I wipe down the bathroom etc.

Torn out pages of guide books to keep the weight down.

The lightest luggage that I can find with wheels.

Sunscreen and Bugspray

FYI--we saw a pharmacy (identifiable by a green cross) in every single port. My husband had a head cold and we ran out of cold meds. We managed to get some nasal spray (he thinks it was leftover Soviet Bloc--really terrible stuff but it worked) and Robitussin type syrup at a pharmacy in Split, Croatia.

Ricola cough drops were available in grocery stores and even at news stands.

By the way, one of the most interesting things we did was to visit grocery stores in the different countries. The ones a few blocks outside of the tourist areas. It's interesting how many American products you'll see--and not just Coca Cola, but different personal care products, cereal products, all sorts of things.

...By the way, one of the most interesting things we did was to visit grocery stores in the different countries. The ones a few blocks outside of the tourist areas. It's interesting how many American products you'll see--and not just Coca Cola, but different personal care products, cereal products, all sorts of things.

I absolutely love the little grocery stores in Rome. We spend 2+ weeks at a time there so I have lots of time to wander. I go in a different grocery store almost every day.

Every time I am in my local grocery store, I think fondly of the little grocery stores in Rome. I just love their simplicity. Who needs a whole aisle of every kind of item? They get by with just a few options of each. And every time I reach for fruit here, it seems weird to actually touch them.

Scottevest jackets are the best! (just google it)

They have lots of pockets (often 18 or more) of different sizes and most of them are inside pockets which are great for security. They come in different sizes and weights and the sleeves come off on many of them. I never travel without at least one of them!

I absolutely love the little grocery stores in Rome. We spend 2+ weeks at a time there so I have lots of time to wander. I go in a different grocery store almost every day.

Every time I am in my local grocery store, I think fondly of the little grocery stores in Rome. I just love their simplicity. Who needs a whole aisle of every kind of item? They get by with just a few options of each. And every time I reach for fruit here, it seems weird to actually touch them.

They remind me in many ways of the bodegas in NYC. And you're right, instead of a 30' long five shelf high section of laundry soap there is about 20" on two shelves with four products to choose from.

The most modern store we were in was in Montenegro of all places. But even that reminded me of the market we shopped at in the 1960's.

Oh yeah. I do have my little first aid kit. But, I don't bring my own OTC meds, but buy them if I need them. It's always easy to find the Green Cross pharmacy and get what I need.

I also have a Swiss Army Climber knife on my list. If possible, I'll bring my own in a checked bag. If I'm doing the "carryon only" type of trip, I'll make a stop and find a store that sells them. I can't live without one! I just build it into my travel costs. Knife, scissors, screwdriver, corkscrew, tweezers - all in one handy deal. I'll just leave at at my last location so someone gets a little gift. I have a backpacking cutting board that slips anywhere and weighs nothing. That and my knife go into my daypack - makes grabbing some goodies at the salumeria and cheese stand for lunch sooo much more fun!!!

Oh yeah. I do have my little first aid kit. But, I don't bring my own OTC meds, but buy them if I need them. It's always easy to find the Green Cross pharmacy and get what I need.

The problem with that scenario is that when you need Immodium or Advil or Zantac, you need it now--not later today, not tomorrow when you're in port, but now. We bring a small bottle (about 30 tabs) of Advil and Zantac and a blister pack of Immodium. Also a blister pack with three days worth of DayQuil/Nyquil, and a half dozen cough drops.

If we need more than that we can buy in port or even in the ships shop, as we did with the cold remedy and cough drops. Yes, the mark up on cough drops in the ships shop is steep, but in the big picture it was a whopping $2 more than what we would have paid at home, so whatever.

I have read people who pack a shoe box sized bins of medications, "just in case." Seriously, if someone is that sick, it's time to head to the infirmary or the pharmacy.

Thanks for all of the replies , lots of good information! I have never heard of a Kipling cross body bag. What makes this bag so good??

It is very durable, extremely lightweight, fully washable, and nearly impervious to the weather. And that's just for starters. :D

They usually have several convenient compartments (not too many, just enough), and they seem to hold a lot more than their size would indicate. (I'm not the only one saying this, look at the reviews on various websites like eBags.)

In Provence in May, we had a couple days of pouring rain. I was able to keep my camera in my bag (worn outside my rain slicker) and nothing inside got wet at all. In fact, the water seems to just roll off the fabric. Someone with a baggallini bag was not so fortunate -- the water eventually started to seep through.

And when the rain went away, I could even roll up my rain jacket and fit IT in the bag too...;)

My Kipling bags (I have a larger and smaller version) have been through the sands of Egypt, hills of Galilee, and rocky ruins of Turkey, as well as more urban landscapes like Rome, Naples, and Athens. (Did I mention it has an interior tether where I can clip my "wallet on a chain" when I want to carry it?)

Yes, it lacks the security features (e.g., wire band, mesh inserts) of a PacSafe bag. But the PS products I find to be heavy and the material inflexible. My preference is to not count on a heavy bag as a tactic to foil street crime; there are too many other scenarios that occur to me to be confident with this approach. However, some really do like them and I suppose in a pinch it would at least make a good "thwack" to the head of any perp....assuming you could wrench it out of his hands -- and I don't know that I'm that strong! :eek:

It is very durable, extremely lightweight, fully washable, and nearly impervious to the weather. And that's just for starters. :D

They usually have several convenient compartments (not too many, just enough), and they seem to hold a lot more than their size would indicate. (I'm not the only one saying this, look at the reviews on various websites like eBags.)

In Provence in May, we had a couple days of pouring rain. I was able to keep my camera in my bag (worn outside my rain slicker) and nothing inside got wet at all. In fact, the water seems to just roll off the fabric. Someone with a baggallini bag was not so fortunate -- the water eventually started to seep through.

And when the rain went away, I could even roll up my rain jacket and fit IT in the bag too...;)

My Kipling bags (I have a larger and smaller version) have been through the sands of Egypt, hills of Galilee, and rocky ruins of Turkey, as well as more urban landscapes like Rome, Naples, and Athens. (Did I mention it has an interior tether where I can clip my "wallet on a chain" when I want to carry it?)

Yes, it lacks the security features (e.g., wire band, mesh inserts) of a PacSafe bag. But the PS products I find to be heavy and the material inflexible. My preference is to not count on a heavy bag as a tactic to foil street crime; there are too many other scenarios that occur to me to be confident with this approach. However, some really do like them and I suppose in a pinch it would at least make a good "thwack" to the head of any perp....assuming you could wrench it out of his hands -- and I don't know that I'm that strong! :eek:

Do you remember which Kipling bag you have?

On an impulse my husband bought a fancy Brookstone pedometer at JFK while we were waiting for our plane to Rome. He had more fun with that thing. Every night he'd report our mileage. We were in Rome for 3 days and averaged 7 miles per day. We walked a lot, so comfortable shoes are a definite must have. Although my sons usually wore flip flops, even in Pompeii, and their feet were perfectly fine. I'm not sure how they can do that? If I tried that I would've come home permanently crippled. :eek:

Do you remember which Kipling bag you have?

The larger cross body bag is called Europa. The smaller one (but not a LOT smaller) is called Rita. I have both in black but they have other basic colors like tan, navy, brown, and even red.

Our best travel tool is zip lock plastic bags---the gallon size held my I-pad and another my camera smaller were handy for journal, reciepts etc. and snack size to hold currency in our money belts------------they pack like nothing and weigh nothing--we always pack a few of each size

Paul

Archived